MUSIC FIDELITY kW250S vs Linn Classik Which is Best???

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I have seen the Musical Fidelity being sold for 1500.00 new. Would this system be a better sounding one than my Linn Classik for that price. The system would be paired with B&W 705 speakers and my taste is Heavy rock/metal. Reason I am wondering is the power output of MF250 watts per channel is far greater than the Linns paltry 35 watts per channel into 8 ohms.

Unfortunately there is no M F dealers near to where I live.

Advice and thoughts sought after.

Regards

A

Anonymous

[quote user="rich51080"]I have seen the Musical Fidelity being sold for 1500.00 new.[/quote]

Where? Tell me, I am tempted.

[quote user="rich51080"]Would this system be a better sounding one than my Linn Classik for that price. The system would be paired with B&W 705 speakers and my taste is Heavy rock/metal. Reason I am wondering is the power output of MF250 watts per channel is far greater than the Linns paltry 35 watts per channel into 8 ohms.[/quote]

There is no comparison in the two products. You are embarrassing the Linn.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
any further comments.

Waiting for Andrew to comment as he has reviewed the Musical Fidelity and he likes the Linn so would be intrigued as what he has to say.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Very simple - at £1500 just buy the thing, you won't regret it.

[/quote]

Lintone Audio :) for the price it is no brainer....and I never even heard it yet!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ranjeetrain"][quote user="rich51080"]

I have seen the Musical Fidelity being sold for 1500.00 new.[/quote] Where? Tell me, I am tempted. [quote user="rich51080"]Would this system be a better sounding one than my Linn Classik for that price. The system would be paired with B&W 705 speakers and my taste is Heavy rock/metal. Reason I am wondering is the power output of MF250 watts per channel is far greater than the Linns paltry 35 watts per channel into 8 ohms.[/quote] There is no comparison in the two products. You are embarrassing the Linn.
[/quote]

I thought the classik was 75 perchannel into 4ohms? thats not bad at all.

A

Anonymous

There have been some rather unhappy kw250s owners out there, see the comments made on this blog:

http://blog.stereophile.com/cedia2006/091606signalpath/

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"]I thought the classik was 75 perchannel into 4ohms? thats not bad at all.[/quote]

Why is wattage so important? The final sound depends on a lot of factors, not just the wattage. Anyways, just for the sake of comparison. The Amp section of MF kW250S is:
Output: Power 250 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms (24dBW),
400 Watts per channel into 4 Ohms
Voltage, RMS 45 Volts 20Hz to 20 kHz
Voltage, Peak-to-peak 127.3 Volts
Current peak-to-peak 75 Amps
Damping factor 140
Output devices per channel 4
Pre-out impedance 50 Ohms
What are specs of the Linn?

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Yeah seems a bit of a coincidence that most hifi shops are trying to get shot of them at low prices.

Just done some googling and a heck of a lot of owners are disatisfied with their machines being faulty.

Still for 1500 quid might be worth a risk taking.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="rich51080"]
Has anyone else had any experience with one????

Am in two minds as to whether to buy or not.
[/quote]

You are two minds about buying a product that were £5k for grand and a half!??? it had Andrew's blessing too and I heard that it better than A5 combo (£3k). I wouldn't worry too much about some comments on the other forum, they are anti MF....always has been.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="rich51080"]Still for 1500 quid might be worth a risk taking.[/quote]

Yes and yes. Even if I just were to throw out everything and just retain the power amp, I'd still think my investment was justified.
Make sure you get full manufacturer's warranty on the set.

A

Anonymous

Just flicked through my whathifi collection and couldnt help but notice hardly any musical fidelity gear has been tested with the exception of the small X series.

Serious omission dont you think?

How are we supposed to have any idea of how good this seemingly amazing deal is when you seem to be testing the same components over and over again in fractionally different group tests?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
A3.2, A3.5, A308, Xray V3, A5 series, A5.5 series, Kw series, A1008 etc... has not been tested

I noticed this too but didn't like to complain as I guess WHF must have own (private) reason. Musical Fidelity certainly poppular enough without any awards from what hifi but I sometime wonder how many "products of the year" awards could they have if Anthony would have push his products for reviews!

matthewpiano

Only issue with MF gear is that its very expensive - too expensive for many buyers. I'd love to have an MF amp in the future, but the price is just prohibitive at present. I think many What Hi-Fi? readers will be in a similar position!!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="matthewpiano"]Only issue with MF gear is that its very expensive - too expensive for many
buyers. [/quote]

No more expensive than the like of Primare! Cyrus are not what I would call cheap either. Sadly the bargain end of Hifi is dead for a while now.

matthewpiano

[quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="matthewpiano"]Only issue with MF gear is that its very expensive - too expensive for many buyers. [/quote] No more expensive than the like of Primare! Cyrus are not what I would call cheap either. Sadly the bargain end of Hifi is dead for a while now.[/quote]

Try telling that to NAD, Cambridge Audio, and Marantz. Look at the NAD C315BEE and C515BEE for example. Better performance than we've ever seen at that price point and NAD's cheapest ever CD player. Look at some of the budget speakers from brands like Wharfedale, Mordaunt-Short, Monitor Audio etc. Look at products like the Rega P1 and P2, and the Pro-ject Genie. I'd say bargain hi-fi is in a better state that its been in years and far from dead...

Again, Primare and (to a lesser extent) Cyrus are beyond the pockets of the average man in the street. To many people budgeting £1000 for a new TV is hard work, never mind putting together a hi-fi system out of components that cost £800-£1000 minimum each.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Fair point Matt, I was comparing budget range hifi at the moment to the early 90's! and trust me there was many many more back then!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]I guess WHF must have own (private) reason[/quote]

No, I believe it's just been a historical reluctance on the part of MF to supply products for review.

A

Anonymous

HI everyone, new member, first post.

I went ahead and bought one of these KW250s not for retail but not for the bargain it was late 07 either.

a few things have cropped up that i felt others might like to know

CD player takes a while to get up to playing ~(90 minutes) so unlike all my other units i have to wait or play a cd though a sony unit- not ideal

i cannot do any recording from the radio using digital outputs but i can if i add a seperate dab unit which is both annoying and defeating the object of an all in one box

looks good bit big but the blue lcd and geat add to the experience except the manual advises users to turn the display of when in use and where as other units from other other manufacturers would either do this automatically or atleast allow automatic reactivation when say adjusting volume or switching to the dab, MF is all manual which is another niggle.

I had been looking at the 500 and 550 but there was a lack of digital connections. the A5 offered something but where as the cd player has digital outputs the amps only have analogue inputs.

I know there is an argument for/against digital but i use the analogoe out for other purposes and rely on the digital for the minidisc side of things and there are ocasions where i want to be able to use the anlogue and the digital at the same time which is why the radio digital recording option is a niggle to me but may be ok for others .

sorry to go but thought that this might be oif interest to some and others may be able to advise on ways round the points made.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="h446dvv"]
HI everyone, new member, first post.

CD player takes a while to get up to playing ~(90 minutes) so unlike all my other units i have to wait or play a cd though a sony unit- not ideal

[/quote]

What?

I think this unit needs to go back to the shop. It should play a CD pretty much immediately, give or take a few seconds.

Steven Wilcox

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I recently purchased the kw250s from Lintone Audio for £1500.

The first Unit I had buzzed and Lintone agreed, without hesitation, to replace this with a new Unit.

Unfortunately, the new Unit also buzzes. Understandably, Lintone are reluctant to replace this and have suggested it must be down to my mains - they say they have not had any similar problems reported so the chances of me getting two duff machines is very very low. I've it tried in just about every socket in the house and have been round switching appliances off to see if any are causing interference but without success. I also have it plugged in to a (Tacima) mains conditioning block and have also tried i through a Merlin block.

I did take it into my Office for a very brief try there and it seemed to be silent though I wasn't able to try it long enough to be completely satisfied with this test.

I've never had any problems of this kind with other Hi Fi equipment in my house so I'm left feeling very perplexed.

The kw250s undoubtedly sounds fantastic but with the buzzing I'm not sure whether I've got a bargain or a dud.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very gratefully received.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts