Which Set Up ? Naim, Cyrus, Musical Fidelity

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
satycool said:
Personally I rather have the actually phsyical Master Copy that allows you many options with what do with it and can still have the advatage or leanding, mixing and using it anywhere in the world in in nearly all areas car/pc/mac/dvd/console/cdp/ old or new (many parts of the world still don't stream)

Couldn't agree more.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
satycool said:
Streaming will be handy for me in the sense of listening to selective tracks, fav albums or a quick browse. Though with over a 1000+ collection I won't be bothered to go through the process of doing it to all my collection. And honestly even with best Cd and Streamer -I belive most won't reall notice the difference and some will prefer one or the other. I rather have both, streamer for selective listen and CDP for ownership of physical format and full listening.

This is where i am with my music. Like you i have 1000+ CD's but i've only ripped 300 or so of the most listened to material. I still as a whole listen to cd's as full albums and rarely put on a CD for a single track.

Random plays are good when you have guests over and you cant be faffed with digging around for CD's :beer:

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be a great sale on Ex Displays at Sevenoaks online - saw Cyrus CDXT SE2 going for £999, but I think they've made a mistake as labeling the XT SE+, instead of the correct XT model. Would be rather odd selling the fairly recent XT SE2 with £500 knocked off. Also the streamer is the older XP version and not the XP(V2) streamer at £2000 - I even put them into my basket with joy, then had closer investigation and then slapped myself as it was to good to be true.

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/content/shopping//1765.0.4.3

On ebay there seems to be a good deals - but I'm a bit concerned it might not be the model its advertised as, esp as Cyrus all look the same and hard to tell otherwise! Some deals seem a little to good to be true.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
For those looking at M1 CLic as a streamer might want to check this review! These major or minor (depending on your music listening preferece) problems is a little concening if wanting Apple Lossless/Airplay, 24/192 wireless streaming(which both NaimUniti 2 and Cyrus new X Streamer can do)...I understand they have updated the software but not sure if it can do wireless 24/192 and do Apple Lossloss without messing around . A pity if it can't!

http://www.audiostream.com/content/musical-fidelity-m1-clic-universal-music-controller

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
satycool said:
For those looking at M1 CLic as a streamer might want to check this review! These major or minor (depending on your music listening preferece) problems is a little concening if wanting Apple Lossless/Airplay, 24/192 wireless streaming(which both NaimUniti 2 and Cyrus new X Streamer can do)...I understand they have updated the software but not sure if it can do wireless 24/192 and do Apple Lossloss without messing around . A pity if it can't!

http://www.audiostream.com/content/musical-fidelity-m1-clic-universal-music-controller

For the CLiC, you can actually use the MediaConnect app to Airplay your music from your iPod to the CLiC.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The impression I'm getting of the Clic is that you have to have different apps to do this or that, and with some reviews reporting connection problems over Wi-fi/USB and even by Ethernet connection; also the remote slowing down when certain file size's are played - this made me wary of Clic. I don't see why you need an app to play Airplay when my Marantz MCR603 can do Airplay with no apps along with other streamers/hi-fi's out there!... also having to use Twonky to work Apple Lossless is annoying as it should be a simple intergrated process without the needing going into another app to get your music!... Thers has been some mention in reviews where certin music files by size can cause problems when played through Clic, esp over Wi-fi. The Clic does seem like a twitchy system where you have to fuss around here and there to get things working. It does read at times not to have that ease, simplicity, and fiddle free operation as with the NaimUniti/Streamer systems seem to have...This is the main reason I lost interest in the M1 Clic , even though as good as it may be, the reviews seem to read a 'not quiet there' feel to them.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Does the M1 Clic with its built in Dac provide the same level sound/detail as the seperate M1 Dac ? Would it be worth buying the seperate M1 Dac for the M1 CDT if already having the Clic ?

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Finally heard the M1 Clic with CDT and two PWR AMPS - did like the sound with its openenss as fairly spacious detail, even though it felt a bit flat at higher volumes and also seemed to miss that omph! was not as loud as I expected, which was a let down for 120watts. Got the feeling it was priced more on its smart looks and appeal rather then output - this making it pricey on looks rather then sound (though good - just a lacked kick and power). Also didn't like the fact you can't control volume without a remote/app. Will now look into the M6I (Amp) and M6 (CD) - as a higher specced system they should sound more appealing to the ears, and hopefully a Cyrus set up soon too - which ever liked will look on the 2nd marker.

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
the Uniti 2 is a High End CDp ( Sanyo ),192/24 streamer, DAB and FM Tuner, Dac and ampli. The Dac is a Burr-Brown Chip (PCM 1793).

It is well built, sounds good and has 4 digital inputs. I believe it is very interesting for you

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
satycool said:
Finally heard the M1 Clic with CDT and two PWR AMPS - did like the sound with its openenss as fairly spacious detail, even though it felt a bit flat at higher volumes and also seemed to miss that omph! was not as loud as I expected, which was a let down for 120watts. Got the feeling it was priced more on its smart looks and appeal rather then output - this making it pricey on looks rather then sound (though good - just a lacked kick and power). Also didn't like the fact you can't control volume without a remote/app. Will now look into the M6I (Amp) and M6 (CD) - as a higher specced system they should sound more appealing to the ears, and hopefully a Cyrus set up soon too - which ever liked will look on the 2nd marker.

:cheers:

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I am keeping an eye on the Uniti 2 as I do like its simplicity, looks great, and does everything. My only concern is that its only 70watts - I probably will have to have a proper listen to make a judgement, but I do like it loud at times.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
kungula said:
the Uniti 2 is a High End CDp ( Sanyo ),192/24 streamer, DAB and FM Tuner, Dac and ampli. The Dac is a Burr-Brown Chip (PCM 1793).

It is well built, sounds good and has 4 digital inputs. I believe it is very interesting for you

I am keeping an eye on the Uniti 2 as I do like its simplicity, looks great, and does everything. My only concern is that its only 70watts - I probably will have to have a proper listen to make a judgement, but I do like it loud at times.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
You are right, the uniti is weak on power like all entry Naim's.

I think with somehing like an Apple tv 3rd gen, nice budget dac and a well powered amp like the new Cambridge Audio you can achieve better results imo.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
satycool said:

With what speakers did you audition the set up with? One thing with the PWR amps, being a class D amp, it can sound a bit bright (it might be because of this that you feel the PWR is lacking in power). It took me sometime to get used to the PWR biamped to my M6i.

If you are going down the route of the M6 series, you will definitely hear a big diference from the M1 series.

On your previous question of M1 DAC VS CLiC, the DAC topography is the same but for CD replay, I prefer M1 DAC as I utilise the XLR digital connection from the CDT which provide a fuller sound compared to coaxial.

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
I would not worry too much about the power as it is much more powerful than the Uniti 1. In audio 9/12 there was a review of the Uniti 2 and they tested the power at 73/ 110 Watt at 8/ 4 Ohm. Needless to say that this should be enough to drive speakers like the KEF R 700, Epos Elan 35 or similar.

rocketride

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Call me boring :wall:but I would try Exposure 3010S2 amp, 2010S2 CD player and 2010S2 DAC. It should fit the 3000 GBP budget and music taste.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what speakers where used, but I also checked the Naim CDX2 and Classic Pre-Amp 202, plus Nap Power Amp 200 which had the same speakers attached. The Naim did have more punch and fuller feeling of sound compared to the M1 (CD/Clic/Pwr Ampx2 mono) - I did use the same two CDs using the same two tracks as below which each individual track using analogue and digital instruments. I just got feeling the M1 series (CD/PWR/Clic) was more entry level for small/mid sized rooms - did not like the fact u had to use a cheap platic looking M1 remote or Iphone/Ipad app to controll most functions too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1TaPmoTtWg&list=PL775703CBC1888A19&index=9&feature=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN4rE5se_8I&list=PL775703CBC1888A19&index=20&feature=plpp_video

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
It is not a feeling, M1 series is MF entry level products. I guess it goes back to your budget. If you can stretch to M6 series amp and CDP which is in the range GBP 4 to 5K, then you will gain a lot more in SQ and get the kick that you need. Same goes to Naim and Cyrus.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think I will have to increase my budget and wait a little longer - am looking at used/ex-demo models as they seem to be huge savings esp for Cyrus/Naim products - this willl allow me to get past the entry level and go further for less (have found a saving of £750 for a ex-demo Cyrus DAC XP+ - tempted to get it: 2 left). I did find the three shops I visited so-far (I have to travel a bit for nearest Hi-fi shops) which stocked mainly Naim and MF priducts were desperate to sell me M1 products rather then M6 - which no shops stocked!..even online its fairly hard to find M6 amps for some reason compared to M1 as that its practically everywhere!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts