Which Set Up ? Naim, Cyrus, Musical Fidelity

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Need both and will get both CDP and Streamer - just one has to wait a little longer if going over my budget...I hope WHF reviews Naim U2 and the whole M1 series set up so I can compare. Naim streaming does seem good, as well as its CD sound from previous model reviews - like to see how its new model is compared with M1 Clic and CDT.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
satycool said:
As mentioned above - would this mean I have to get the MF Clic to control vloume ? I also understand the newer late 2011 and 12 Clic and M1 units have system updates and improved performance - how would I know I have the latest M1's ?

If you intend to use PWR as the only amp to drive your speakers, yes you need the CLiC to control volume. Bear in mind that the CLiC is not only a streamer, it also have several digital input in which your CDT can be connected to and benefit from the similar DAC. It will meet both your CD replay requirement and streaming.

You can actually find reviews on all M1s products in other magazines too.

I share your requirement on CDs too. Unless I can sell all my CDs at a good price, then I dont need a CD player anymore. But for now,CD player is still an important part of my set up.

All of the equipments from MF will have a manufatured date stamped behind the unit. So you can know which model year you are buying. Not so much of a concern for CLiC as the firmware updates are done over the internet.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
At the risk being stuburn again.... :oops: (sorry Ceno)

I completly agree about the cd collection For me to I like the artwork an going true my collection with my fingertip an than see a cd 'mmm yes I want to hear that' an it makes me happy I just don't have the same feeling by browsing an clicking :-(

But everybody tels streaming is future so I bought a Squeeze box to make my first steps in that world. Afther 2 or 3 month's now it it confirmed just my initial feeling.....

So reading this tread I have the feeling you are maybe in the same position I was (wan't to try streaming but you'r not shure it's for you). So it's only a sugestion but you could buy a sqeezbox to make up your mind, it is substantialy cheaper (250€) then the M1 clic an it is IMO unbeatable for the price.

I made the test with my frien Alex using my cdp (azur 650) an the sbt streaming a track in flac format an using the same on cd an even if I personaly slightly preferd the cd presentation (it had a little more grunt an presence) it was almost impossible to spot the differences. (altrueth I'm shure the clic is of course better).

An so you can save the cash for other components cdp, amp (M6i maybe :twisted: )....An if you get convinced by the streaming world you can always upgrade later....

only an idea of course.....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
At the risk being stuburn again.... :oops: (sorry Ceno)

I completly agree about the cd collection For me to I like the artwork an going true my collection with my fingertip an than see a cd 'mmm yes I want to hear that' an it makes me happy I just don't have the same feeling by browsing an clicking :-(

Roby my friend, you'll end up coming round to my way of thinking.....but because you're stubborn....it'll just take a little longer! ;)

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Man just as I was leaning towards the M1 Clic + M1 DAC/CDT, the Naim Uniti 2 now seems to be interesting me more as the Uniti 2 seems to handle streaming with ease from the info gathered on the net (though most is based on Uniti 1), the DAC and CD have beem been improved and tweaked along with improvements to the sound and amp from Uniti 1: which itself was well received in most cases . Wirelessly Uniti seems to be a lot more stable and can stream HR 24/192 with no messing around handling Apple files. The CD is still my major aim, but it seems Naim Uniti has done well with this too.

NAIM Uniti 2: On-board DAC with its five 24bit/192kHz-capable S/PDIF inputs plays WAV, MP3, Windows Media-formatted content, AAC, Apple Lossless, FLAC from any suitable UPnP device.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That's a relief, now to decide which one ? BUT! I also re-looked into Cyrus again!!!! now started thinking - as mentioned here before - of picking up 2nd hand lower model/classed Cyrus: Dac/Cd/Aap as you can get them at a good reduced price, then gradually one by one upgrade them by Cyrus to the top end models eg: upgrade CD 6SE2 to CDXT SE+(my dream) - this will save me money, give me the best of Cyrus and can do it at my own pace while having the equipment...Hope its as I easy as I think ?

Man choosing a hi-fi's is becoming overwhelming with options and choices! Cyrus to MF, MF to Naim, now back to Cyrus for now
smiley-undecided.gif

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Is it maybe possible for you to have a a demo of those 3 (preferably at the same time) I think this will help you see clearer true thinks. The one who make you in the chaire the longer before changing will be the one for you ;-)

satycool said:
Man choosing a hi-fi's is becoming overwhelming with options and choices! Cyrus to MF, MF to Naim, now back to Cyrus for now
smiley-undecided.gif

I'd be thinking about which of your options is most likely to be working/still made in 10 or 15 years time. As I've said here before, I'm still enjoying the LPs I first bought in the early 70's. How many times will you have had to re-copy, back up, reburn, buy again (and so on) your collection in the next decades?

Look back just 3 or 4 years and tell me that streaming doesn't have built in obsolesence.

I acknowledge my perspective is as long-term collector of LPs and CDs, but I'm far from persuaded that this is more than an intriguing diversion at the moment. Fine to rip your CDs and replay via a great streamer (like taping LPs onto cassette, but with better sound!) but think ahead a few years.

PS. I'd choose Naim, mainly because I'd believe they might be around longest and they are leading the way with streaming IMO, but all these brands have a good heritage in hifi terms.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
I'd be thinking about which of your options is most likely to be working/still made in 10 or 15 years time. As I've said here before, I'm still enjoying the LPs I first bought in the early 70's. How many times will you have had to re-copy, back up, reburn, buy again (and so on) your collection in the next decades?

Look back just 3 or 4 years and tell me that streaming doesn't have built in obsolesence.

I acknowledge my perspective is as long-term collector of LPs and CDs, but I'm far from persuaded that this is more than an intriguing diversion at the moment. Fine to rip your CDs and replay via a great streamer (like taping LPs onto cassette, but with better sound!) but think ahead a few years.

Sorry but I have to disagree. A lossless music file played on a streamer will sound exactly the same in 15 years time and not degrade like a physical format or indeed your hearing. Granted you may need to back up and copy, but you also have to look after your LPs and CDs so they don 't get scratched and warped. If I were in the market for a system, then I would buy a streamer Like the Cyrus streamline or Linn Sneaky DS with built in amp, or a compact system like the M1 Clic + M1 PWR, then add additional amplification if I thought I needed it over time. I wouldn't buy a CD player just yet unless the playing of physical CDs is essential.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:

PS. I'd choose Naim, mainly because I'd believe they might be around longest and they are leading the way with streaming IMO, but all these brands have a good heritage in hifi terms.

NP, it's not often I disagree with you, but on this occasion I do.

I think Streaming is only in its infancy and on the cusp of making CDPs obsolete; it may even threaten the TT, if 24 bit becomes more prevalent.

In fact I think it's the natural evolution of the CD......and though it may change its form slightly over time, with downloading or streaming from a cloud, taking over from ripping a physical CD, it's here to stay in one form or another.

I also think (subjective I know), that Linn are the leaders in the field. They were the first to fully realize and develop its potential, so much so that they stopped CDP production. I also think their proprietary up-sampling/filtering is the one to beat.

Time will tell, and it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Cno

CnoEvil said:

I think Streaming is only in its infancy and on the cusp of making CDPs obsolete; it may even threaten the TT, if 24 bit becomes more prevalent.

In fact I think it's the natural evolution of the CD......and though it may change its form slightly over time, with downloading or streaming from a cloud, taking over from ripping a physical CD, it's here to stay in one form or another.

I also think (subjective I know), that Linn are the leaders in the field. They were the first to fully realize and develop its potential, so much so that they stopped CDP production. I also think their proprietary up-sampling/filtering is the one to beat.

Cno

Hi Cno, afraid I'm still a sceptic, though no doubts about the sound per se, more the flakiness, need for back ups, etc., that puts me off, hence this longeveity angle.

Totally agree re Linn quality, but the OP mentioned three others from which my choice would be Naim. Not sure which Linn for the £3k slot either, but I guess Majik or a used model from higher up? You're the man for these things! :)

tino said:
Sorry but I have to disagree. A lossless music file played on a streamer will sound exactly the same in 15 years time and not degrade like a physical format or indeed your hearing. Granted you may need to back up and copy, but you also have to look after your LPs and CDs so they don 't get scratched and warped. If I were in the market for a system, then I would buy a streamer Like the Cyrus streamline or Linn Sneaky DS with built in amp, or a compact system like the M1 Clic + M1 PWR, then add additional amplification if I thought I needed it over time. I wouldn't buy a CD player just yet unless the playing of physical CDs is essential.

Hi tino, yes I quite agree the file will probably sound the same (if your HD hasn't crashed). Bound to be a better sample along soon though!

It is all the faffing that puts me off, routers and apps and servers and god-knows-what, though I guess storing LPs isn't everyone's idea of fun either!

The obsolescence I had in mind was was more in the kit itself, the ever-spiralling bit rates, and that many are only just getting around to gapless, which is a massive flaw in many otherwise good setups (though not from the OP's list, perhaps). I guess everyone has an iDevice to act as controller, but that is not a modest cost either, and won't last 10 years, let alone 15 or 20.

Just not a convert yet. Give me time!
smiley-laughing.gif

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I did actully hear Linns streamer in a shop not too far back (where I live there's only one okyish hi-fi shop for miles) - where they kindly added my Octex - Every Sound Tells A Story cd to there Linn Sneaky for a listen(I was cusrious about this) - it did sound good, considering the set they had, but it just felt a bit too clean with a feeling of less warmth, I also felt the subtle dub astmospheric bass and spacious textures on the album weren't quiet as detailed. The albums fragile depth and dubby sounds did sound better in the Arcam 8200 cd/dac player which was then tested on - I was so close to buying that!

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The path I was thinking - this can be upgraded too, that's what I like about the Cyrus set-up. Though expensive it gives me more options to be more flexible.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
shooter said:
Cyrus DAC 8 > Cyrus CD transport (XT?) > Squeezebox > Speaker of choice

Doable for 3k

The similar path I was thinking which also allow me to upgrade later - this what I like about the Cyrus set up.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
tino said:

Hi tino, yes I quite agree the file will probably sound the same (if your HD hasn't crashed). Bound to be a better sample along soon though!

It is all the faffing that puts me off, routers and apps and servers and god-knows-what, though I guess storing LPs isn't everyone's idea of fun either!

The obsolescence I had in mind was was more in the kit itself, the ever-spiralling bit rates, and that many are only just getting around to gapless, which is a massive flaw in many otherwise good setups (though not from the OP's list, perhaps). I guess everyone has an iDevice to act as controller, but that is not a modest cost either, and won't last 10 years, let alone 15 or 20.

Just not a convert yet. Give me time!
smiley-laughing.gif

I can see where you are coming from. Streaming is actually very easy to set up, and a good dedicated streamer should last a long time and be fairly obsolescence proof. What tends to get obsolete or fail are the peripheral items like hard disc storage, computers or expensive remotes. Think of them as styli, CD laser heads etc. and that they could fail. I don't see the point either of using a £500 remote to control you hifi .. Which is why I use a £20 IR remote 90% of the time :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
satycool said:
I did actully hear Linns streamer in a shop not too far back (where I live there's only one okyish hi-fi shop for miles) - where they kindly added my Octex - Every Sound Tells A Story cd to there Linn Sneaky for a listen(I was cusrious about this) - it did sound good, considering the set they had, but it just felt a bit too clean with a feeling of less warmth, I also felt the subtle dub astmospheric bass and spacious textures on the album weren't quiet as detailed. The albums fragile depth and dubby sounds did sound better in the Arcam 8200 cd/dac player which was then tested on - I was so close to buying that!

That's how I think it sounds through Linn amps/speakers (or indeed any more analytical sounding amp/speakers).....it sounds quite different through a Class A amp for example, or Spendor/Sonus Faber speakers. I'm glad you tried it though.

Cno

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
CnoEvil said:

Cno

Hi Cno, afraid I'm still a sceptic, though no doubts about the sound per se, more the flakiness, need for back ups, etc., that puts me off, hence this longeveity angle.

Unfortunately (like me) the longevity is more to do with your age!.

I think (for those comfortable with technology), it is probably less flakey than the faff associated with TTs/Vinyl (warping), and the potential for problems to do with the laser, moving parts in the transport and tray of CDPs, let alone deterioration of the CD itself.

I think that people prefer what they are comfortable with, and its why the older addicts on here, cling to what they know.....I found the change a bigger mental jump than anything else.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
nopiano said:
CnoEvil said:

Cno

Unfortunately (like me) the longevity is more to do with your age!.

I think (for those comfortable with technology), it is probably less flakey than the faff associated with TTs/Vinyl (warping), and the potential for problems to do with the laser, moving parts in the transport and tray of CDPs, let alone deterioration of the CD itself.

I think that people prefer what they are comfortable with, and its why the older addicts on here, cling to what they know.....I found the change a bigger mental jump than anything else.

CDs can actually last a lifetime - I don't overly take care of mine, but do care of them as the average joe does, but have never actually had a cd degraded - Have left them car hot weather, infront of sunlight, many drops, whith plenty of passing around, spilt liquide/food on them..etc. I do think this argument is over exagerrated, also with the few I have scratched on purpose (on cds I didn't like); have easily been repaired using very cheap repair kits...CDr do have problems though! due to no master glass protection!...Personally I rather have the actually phsyical Master Copy that allows you many options with what do with it and can still have the advatage or leanding, mixing and using it anywhere in the world in in nearly all areas car/pc/mac/dvd/console/cdp/ old or new (many parts of the world still don't stream). Streaming will be handy for me in the sense of listening to selective tracks, fav albums or a quick browse. Though with over a 1000+ collection I won't be bothered to go through the process of doing it to all my ever growing collection. And honestly even with best Cd and Streamer -I belive most people won't really notice the difference and some will prefer one or the other. I rather have both. A streamer for selective listen, and CDP for ownership of physical format and full album listening.

Any way enough of streaming or cd - can enjoy both and I probably will. With many oldies and rare cds with over a 1000+ collection I won't be downloading and streaming all of them as it is a slow process doing it, maybe selected ones or my fav tracks from certain albums - this the main reason streaming will suite me.

Streaming will be handy for me in the sense of listening to selective tracks, fav albums or a quick browse. Though with over a 1000+ collection I won't be bothered to go through the process of doing it to all my collection. And honestly even with best Cd and Streamer -I belive most won't reall notice the difference and some will prefer one or the other. I rather have both, streamer for selective listen and CDP for ownership of physical format and full listening.

No more steaming vs cdp for me. Will get both in time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts