Multi-region Blu-ray Players?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Hi

I am just wondering whether to go the multi-region Blu-ray player route to cut down on costs. Which Blu-ray players qualify now?

Cheers

D

Deleted member 2457

I will get the ball rolling with the Oppo 93 and Oppo 95, both of which can be modified. And I presume the new ones too.

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard said:
gel said:
Hi Andrew - cheers for this. That is how you done your Cambridge one wasn't it?

Yes, and the stillborn Euro-Oppo before it – as detailed here

Excellent - thanks! Just out of interest where are you buying The Dark Knight Rises from (if you are)?

Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard said:
gel said:
Excellent - thanks! Just out of interest where are you buying The Dark Knight Rises from (if you are)?

Not buying.

Ah okay - cheers! Would you say Amazon.com is the cheapest route currently at 30 dollars for the Dark Knight Rises? It has been a while since I imported Blu-rays and I used to get use the advertisements in DVD review mags to get places of where to buy, but I am now not sure. Any useful places you know of where I could import for cheap prices?

Many thanks for your help.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
Would you say Amazon.com is the cheapest route currently at 30 dollars for the Dark Knight Rises? It has been a while since I imported Blu-rays and I used to get use the advertisements in DVD review mags to get places of where to buy, but I am now not sure. Any useful places you know of where I could import for cheap prices?

Not a clue - not something I've really followed for a long time. But with the potential for delays/charges due to customs, plus any shipping charges to be added on to the price, unless it's something you can't buy here it's possibly not worth the hassle.

I used to use Movietyme, but with the exception of the odd Japanese movie for Mrs E, which we just get the in-laws to buy and post but which are still eye-wateringly expensive, haven't imported any discs for yonks. Too busy listening to music or on here most of the time...

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
There is hacked firmware for some of the Panasonic devices at http://www.firmwareinfo.com. You have to pay for it, but the bloke who does it seems to be rather petulant so I've not had any dealings with him yet - probably will do if I buy a DMR-BWT720 which I intend to do, hopefully before Crimbo.

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard said:
gel said:
Would you say Amazon.com is the cheapest route currently at 30 dollars for the Dark Knight Rises? It has been a while since I imported Blu-rays and I used to get use the advertisements in DVD review mags to get places of where to buy, but I am now not sure. Any useful places you know of where I could import for cheap prices?

Not a clue - not something I've really followed for a long time. But with the potential for delays/charges due to customs, plus any shipping charges to be added on to the price, unless it's something you can't buy here it's possibly not worth the hassle.

I used to use Movietyme, but with the exception of the odd Japanese movie for Mrs E, which we just get the in-laws to buy and post but which are still eye-wateringly expensive, haven't imported any discs for yonks. Too busy listening to music or on here most of the time...

Ah okay - cheers for the information and replies.

D

Deleted member 2457

Amadeus1756 said:
There is hacked firmware for some of the Panasonic devices at http://www.firmwareinfo.com. You have to pay for it, but the bloke who does it seems to be rather petulant so I've not had any dealings with him yet - probably will do if I buy a DMR-BWT720 which I intend to do, hopefully before Crimbo.

Ah nice one - cheers for that.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
I will get the ball rolling with the Oppo 93 and Oppo 95, both of which can be modified. And I presume the new ones too.

New Oppo's are 105eu and 103eu (I think). Both can be made Multi-Zone.

Here is the Panasonic one again:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PANASONIC-CodeFree-MultiZone-012345678-Playback/dp/B008BHUCHK/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1350410021&sr=8-15

Another Panasonic:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PANASONIC-CODEFREE-DMP-BD75-MultiZone-012345678/dp/B005KM1ZYS/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1350410258&sr=8-17

Didn't realise Panasonic did them!

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
I don't know gel. Very few blu ray discs are truly region A locked. Is it really worth the extra £100-150 just for multizone blu ray mod?

That is true BB. I used to really be into importing discs, I think I am going to keep an eye on how many bargains there are to be had, then make a decisision. I am definitely going to demo the new Oppo Blu-ray players. My Pioneer is still really good, it is only slow on a couple of discs. But saving some money appeals to me and a second Blu-ray player. I haven't look into how many are region locked yet. You say not many?

D

Deleted member 2457

I think I better look around for Region A Blu-rays next. ;) And see what deals are out there.

D

Deleted member 2457

Just found a good website www.bluraycollections.co.uk/USA - compares prices for all regions. And yep £18 is the magic number for importing and avoiding VAT.

D

Deleted member 2457

I fancy treating myself to the Cambridge Audio Blu-ray player, I have seen it and liked it but I don't think I will be gaining much though. Sound an extra Wolfson DAC. QDEO chip for DVD and 3D connection. I quite fancy the idea or having two Blu-ray players I have a second TV, so I can rotate, looking at load times on the Internet it looks similar, can anyone nudge me one way or the other. It definitely would be a luxury. What do you think? Shall I go for it or not?

Cheers

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I can understand the desire for a region free BDP, as there are many (genuinely) Region A locked titles I'd love to own (several Criterion titles, but others also).

That said, I'm not sure it's worth going the region-free route simply to get your hands on Blu-ray releases a little earlier. If the Blu-ray will be released in the UK, it's perhaps best to wait and avoid the hassle of custom charges and processes. UK releases will arrive soon enough. It's the locked and exclusive titles that, for me at least, make the prospect of region free Blu-ray appealing.

Presumably it's possible to buy a modded Cambridge Audio 651 or 751 (or reasonably straightforward to do this yourself)? There are of course more affordable options...

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
I can understand the desire for a region free BDP, as there are many (genuinely) Region A locked titles I'd love to own (several Criterion titles, but others also).

That said, I'm not sure it's worth going the region-free route simply to get your hands on Blu-ray releases a little earlier. If the Blu-ray will be released in the UK, it's perhaps best to wait and avoid the hassle of custom charges and processes. UK releases will arrive soon enough. It's the locked and exclusive titles that, for me at least, make the prospect of region free Blu-ray appealing.

Presumably it's possible to buy a modded Cambridge Audio 651 or 751 (or reasonably straightforward to do this yourself)? There are of course more affordable options...

I have ruled out the cheaper Blu-ray players because last year I bought a Sony 480 (I think it was) and it ruined my Pioneer TV. It might have been a coincidence but I don't think so, it screen burned the TV through one use of it! I will never buy cheap Blu-ray player again. I saw the quality difference between that and my Pioneer, the Pioneer had a cleaner, sharper and better quality picture.

I think I have decided not to go the muli-region route, but the one that keeps sticking out is the Cambride Audio 751bd still. The reviews are stunning. QDEO chip appeals, they say it kicks above its weight. The actual weight is about the same as the Pioneer, do I wait for a more better spec one or just go for it and treat myself now is the question.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 2457

I'm tempted to ask Richer Sounds if I can borrow one for the weekend.
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts