Multi-region Blu-ray Players?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Just phoned Richer Sounds and asked about borrowing and they said you can buy it and then after 14 day I did not want it, there would be a 10 per cent handling charge. So there is a way out it all goes wrong but quite an expensive one. Decision time then. :?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I have decided not to go the muli-region route, but the one that keeps sticking out is the Cambride Audio 751bd still.

If you want to avoid cheaper BDPs, the 751, with its two HDMI outs, seems a logical choice.

As I understand it, your receiver doesn't support HDMI v1.4. Since you own a 3D-ready TV, I'm guessing you'll want to make use of this functionality at some point.

You can try your luck with Richer Sounds. The worst that can happen is they say no! :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Just phoned Richer Sounds and asked about borrowing and they said you can buy it and then after 14 day I did not want it, there would be a 10 per cent handling charge. So there is a way out it all goes wrong but quite an expensive one. Decision time then. :?

£80 sounds expensive for a home trial, though I understand the retailer's logic, as they'd technically no longer be able to sell the unit as "new."

It's hard to imagine you'd go too far wrong with the 751BD. It might be worth the extra 10% for the five year warranty, though. It's not a cheap item and I recall another thread where the OP's 650BD developed a fault after two years. I wouldn't normally recommend taking out an extended warranty, but Richer Sounds' competitve pricing arguably makes this worthwhile. (I'm sure you figured this out already!)

You could perhaps audition the player in store (I know this isn't ideal). Let us know what you decide.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

£80 sounds expensive for a home trial, though I understand the retailer's logic, as they'd technically no longer be able to sell the unit as "new."

It's hard to imagine you'd go too far wrong with the 751BD. It might be worth the extra 10% for the five year warranty, though. It's not a cheap item and I recall another thread where the OP's 650BD developed a fault after two years. I wouldn't normally recommend taking out an extended warranty, but Richer Sounds' competitve pricing probably makes this worthwhile.

You could perhaps audition the player in store (I know this isn't ideal). Let us know what you decide.

Will do. I think I am going to go and audition the player again and then see if we can strike a deal. It will have to be a good deal though.
smiley-smile.gif
Cheers for the help. I am thinking probably Sunday now.

Cheers.

Why don't you buy the player online, or the Oppo, or the Asus player I linked in the other thread? That way, you've got Distance Selling Regulations to cover you for the demo & return it if you're not happy? This is what Distance Selling Regulations is designed for.

You'll have to make the purchase online & not in-store, for DSR to be in force.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Why don't you buy the player online, or the Oppo, or the Asus player I linked in the other thread? That way, you've got Distance Selling Regulations to cover you for the demo & return it if you're not happy? This is what Distance Selling Regulations is designed for.

That's an idea - cheers BB. I will have another look at those players, having the Wolfson DACs on the cambridge appeal to me because I like the sound of my Pioneer. I will call them and see what they say.

Cheers.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:

I wouldn't agree with that - the Distance Selling Regulations legislation was designed to give the consumer a level of protection for buying online, having not had the benefit of seeing the product "in the flesh" or have been given face to face advice.

This could be interpreted as having the right to buy lots of items and audition and compare them with another, then return the ones you don't like. Personally, I think this is taking a bit of a liberty, and not really in the spirit of the legislation or its intended purpose (given the shop cannot then sell these returned products as new - so every time someone does this, it costs them).

But hey, it's just my opinion and there's certainly nothing illegal with the above.

D

Deleted member 2457

I will go for one more demo Sunday and see how friendly they are in store. I will take my Blu-rays, problem is the best TV on demo last time was the 42ST 50, I would prefer something just as good but bigger but they didn't do it last time. I will then see what they have to say and if I not 100 per cent I will phone up and see what is on offer, screw it I will phone now.
smiley-smile.gif

professorhat said:
bigboss said:

I wouldn't agree with that - the Distance Selling Regulations legislation was designed to give the consumer a level of protection for buying online, having not had the benefit of seeing the product "in the flesh" or have been given face to face advice.

This could be interpreted as having the right to buy lots of items and audition and compare them with another, then return the ones you don't like. Personally, I think this is taking a bit of a liberty, and not really in the spirit of the legislation or its intended purpose (given the shop cannot then sell these returned products as new - so every time someone does this, it costs them).

But hey, it's just my opinion and there's certainly nothing illegal with the above.

I knew this would come while I was typing my post! :)

The way I look at it is this: DSR applies when the store is selling products or services to consumers without face-to-face contact, and where the consumer has not had an opportunity to examine the goods before buying or discuss the service in person. In the case of AV products, it should involve a demo.

Clearly, gel has an intention to purchase a blu ray player. He wants to demo it with his system. If he pays restocking fees every time he wants to demo a product, it'll turn out to be very expensive! The store is free to provide him with an open box player for the demo.

We're all entitled to our opinions. This is my opinion.

gel said:
bigboss said:

That's an idea - cheers BB. I will have another look at those players, having the Wolfson DACs on the cambridge appeal to me because I like the sound of my Pioneer. I will call them and see what they say.

Cheers.

You've got a fabulous Pioneer receiver; just bitstream audio to your receiver to decode! ;)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
Clearly, gel has an intention to purchase a blu ray player. He wants to demo it with his system. If he pays restocking fees every time he wants to demo a product, it'll turn out to be very expensive! The store is free to provide him with an open box player for the demo.

Yup, and I perhaps should have been clearer in my original post that this is where I'd disagree with Richer Sounds charging him a restocking fee if he demos an in-store unit - surely they've got a demo model that they can give to him for a few days? Sure, charge him full price at the time and, if he likes it, he brings the demo model back and swaps it for a brand new boxed model. If he doesn't, he returns the demo model for a full refund. They're shooting themselves in the foot here and driving people to go down the DSR route given it actually gives you better service than you get in-store, which really shouldn't be the case.

But as a general rule, I'd disagree with using DSR in that way.

bigboss said:
We're all entitled to our opinions. This is my opinion.

Absolutely :)

D

Deleted member 2457

I'm going to try again and borrow it again, because they have one on demo, and last time I purchased my Pioneer 71 from then for £550, so I am on the system, so they know I am genuine customer. Let you know what happens.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
I suspect Cambridge Audio will come out with new models within the next 2-3 months....

That's a good point - cheers BB.

D

Deleted member 2457

Had my demo again and this time on the Panasonic 50VT50, with Transfomers Blu-ray. Results still don't know. I did manage to negotiate a price of £690 plus a 3D hdmi cable. 24 hours to think what to do, if after 14 days it is still no better than my Pioneer it will cost £69 to return. Results were there was a fair amount of grainage but grainage is good according to some people. I will demo my Transformers again on mine and then see. What do you think guys?

D

Deleted member 2457

I am watching Transfromers now, Pioneer picture is cleaner, no grainage. Pioneer is sharper, the detail on the Cambridge was good, my niece says definitely Pioneer. Still trying to decide. :?

D

Deleted member 2457

One question I got some 3d glasses from the cinema, would they work on my Panasonic and Cambridge?

Cheers.

1) The "grain" actually depends on what the original picture intended. It's not that grain is good for all kinds of pictures.

2) Your TV is active, so the 3D glasses from the cinema, which works on passive technology, will not work with your TV.

3) You demoed it with VT50, so that was in the store right? Have you still bought it to check at home? Am I right in understanding that you will get a full refund if you return within 24 hours, & will be charged a 10% restocking fee if beyond 24 hours but within 14 days?

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
1) The "grain" actually depends on what the original picture intended. It's not that grain is good for all kinds of pictures.

2) Your TV is active, so the 3D glasses from the cinema, which works on passive technology, will not work with your TV.

3) You demoed it with VT50, so that was in the store right? Have you still bought it to check at home? Am I right in understanding that you will get a full refund if you return within 24 hours, & will be charged a 10% restocking fee if beyond 24 hours but within 14 days?

Hi BB

Cheers for this. No grain on the Pioneer, loads on the Cambridge. Cheers for 3d glasses info. Yeah I demoed in store. Still at the shop the Cambridge. 10 per cent charge if I buy and return I asked could I think about it for 24 hous and I would give an answer tomorrow. I ask to borrow and they said no again.

The Pioneer is definitely a lot cleaner with no grain. I liked the Panasonic 50VT50- still to decide if it is any better. Just noticed a little grainage on the Pioneer but no where near as much as the Cambridge. I suppose the good thing is, is that it is different. So I would be getting something that is different.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
As BB said, grain is only good if it's on the disc. I don't have transformers, but it would surprise me if it was shot with much. Perhaps best to check some reviews. Having said that, I wouldn't have expected a big (if any) difference in blu ray reproduction, so this may be down to how the shop had the TV set up.

It doesn't sound to me like you're getting any or any sufficient upgrade to justify that much money. Also, don't be taken in by the 'free hdmi' trick, it probably cost them a few quid at most and your existing cables will very likely work with 3D anyway.

It is difficult to demo 2 different products in 2 different environments on 2 different screens. All I can suggest is that £690 is not an insignificant amount, so you have to be 100% satisfied prior to purchase. If the change is solely for playing multiregion (multizone) blu rays, there are far cheaper options.

Check this, for example. That's your Pioneer LX55.

gel said:
Hi

I am just wondering whether to go the multi-region Blu-ray player route to cut down on costs. Which Blu-ray players qualify now?

Cheers

You really have to consider this: are you spending £690 to save a few quid on blu ray discs? You'll need to buy more than 200 region locked discs from the US offering more than $3 discount per disc including shipping to recover the cost of your player alone. Besides, most of the blu ray discs are region free anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts