Multi-region Blu-ray Players?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

BenLaw said:
As BB said, grain is only good if it's on the disc. I don't have transformers, but it would surprise me if it was shot with much. Perhaps best to check some reviews. Having said that, I wouldn't have expected a big (if any) difference in blu ray reproduction, so this may be down to how the shop had the TV set up.

It doesn't sound to me like you're getting any or any sufficient upgrade to justify that much money. Also, don't be taken in by the 'free hdmi' trick, it probably cost them a few quid at most and your existing cables will very likely work with 3D anyway.

Cheers Ben. Yep, how they had it setup could come into it. My niece didn't like picture in the shop, she said it was fuzzy, and she is talking about the grain. Could grain be down to how it is setup? Yep it is a lot of money. The reviews love it, says it kicks above its weight. The sound should be fantastic. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
It is difficult to demo 2 different products in 2 different environments on 2 different screens. All I can suggest is that £690 is not an insignificant amount, so you have to be 100% satisfied prior to purchase. If the change is solely for playing multiregion (multizone) blu rays, there are far cheaper options.

Check this, for example. That's your Pioneer LX55.

I am 100 per cent sure, the Pioneer does look better, but could the shop setup create the amount of grain I was seeing? I think I want something different but something good. No I decided against mulizone, I agree it is too much. I would pay £40 for the glasses again, so I coud do the 3D. I suppose it is a toy if anything, I would quite like to play around with. But it is expensive.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
I suppose the good thing is, is that it is different. So I would be getting something that is different.

With blu ray picture, you should be looking for faithful reproduction of what's in the disc with no artificial processing. So "different" shouldn't come in the equation at all.

I have demoed Transformers on numerous TVs now and it has always looked clean and sharp to me. Black levels looked similar to the GT50 on the VT50. The picture was not dirty just grainy. The overall picture was good quality. Cheers BB.

D

Deleted member 2457

I suppose £69 for a two week play is not too bad, it should be interesting.
smiley-smile.gif
I don't know.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
It's your choice. If you're looking to demo the player, you can ring around at other RS branches nearby who will be happy to loan you a player without the "restocking fees".

Cheers BB - that's an idea.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The 751BD is really an audiophile's multi-disc spinner and I think you need to decide which of the following is a priority:

1. 3D playback to make full use of your GT50

2. The ability to play SACD, DVD Audio and various USB formats the 751BD supports

3. Simply getting the best from 2D Blu-ray discs

If 3D, SACD, DVD Audio and USB format compatibility are not important to you, then the 751BD seems an extravagance. If you're likely to make regular use of all of the above, the 751BD makes a lot more sense. As your receiver isn't 3D-ready, you can make good use of the 751BD's dual HDMI outputs (which are not a feature on rival BDPs from Denon and Marantz).

For what it's worth, in your situation I'd take a serious look at the Sony BDP-S790. I'd use this for 3D Blu-ray and hang on to the Pioneer as a 2D disc spinner. In fact, that's exactly what I'm thinking of doing if/when I upgrade my Panasonic V20 (I'll keep my 2500BT as a 2D player and use the cheaper Sony for 3D Blu-ray). I appreciate that everyone's needs are different, however, and I don't want to sway you in a particular direction.

In short, the 751BD is a fantastic option if you'll make good use of all it offers. If not, you might be better served by slightly more affordable options...

D

Deleted member 2457

Just read a review on Home Theatre and it does mention that noise levels are kept to a minimum, minus from the grain of the film itself which the 751bd shows nicely. So grain is definitely there, it just seemed too much for me on Transformers.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
The 751BD is really an audiophile's multi-disc spinner and I think you need to decide which of the following is a priority:

1. 3D playback to make full use of your GT50

2. The ability to play SACD, DVD Audio and various USB formats the 751BD supports

3. Simply getting the best from 2D Blu-ray discs

If 3D, SACD, DVD Audio and USB format compatibility are not important to you, then the 751BD seems an extravagance. If you're likely to make regular use of all of the above, the 751BD makes a lot more sense. As your receiver isn't 3D-ready, you can make good use of the 751BD's dual HDMI outputs (which are not a feature on rival BDPs from Denon and Marantz).

For what it's worth, in your situation I'd take a serious look at the Sony BDP-S790. I'd use this for 3D Blu-ray and hang on to the Pioneer as a 2D disc spinner. In fact, that's exactly what I'm thinking of doing if/when I upgrade my Panasonic V20 (I'll keep my 2500BT as a 2D player and use the cheaper Sony for 3D Blu-ray). I appreciate that everyone's needs are different, however, and I don't want to sway you in a particular direction.

In short, the 751BD is a fantastic option if you'll make good use of all it offers. If not, you might be better served by slightly more affordable options...

Cheers for the feedback. Yep, that makes sense. I think I am going to watch Transformers again and have another look - it's difficult to decide. I think I would do 3D, the specs cost £30, so in total £720. The Panasonic VT50 was good, saw the ST50 in Currys too - liked that too.

Cheers.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Not to hijack your thread, but how did the ST50 and VT50 comapre with your GT50?

The more I think about it, the more the 50GT50 make sense, in terms of value for money. It's got an integrated Freesat tuner, which I need. The GT50 is very competitively priced at the moment. The GT50's THX presets also trump the ST50's True Cinema presets in terms of out of the box accuracy.

That said, I'd lose 5" in screen size. The 55ST50 arguably makes the most sense in terms of 3D, too, as the panel can output a brighter image than the GT50 and VT50. It's a tremendously difficult choice, as there are advantages and drawbacks to each option.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Not to hijack your thread, but how did the ST50 and VT50 comapre with your GT50?

The more I think about it, the more the 50GT50 make sense, in terms of value for money. It's got an integrated Freesat tuner, which I need. The GT50 is very competitively priced at the moment. The GT50's THX presets also trump the ST50's True Cinema presets in terms of out of the box accuracy.

That said, I'd lose 5" in screen size. The 55ST50 arguably makes the most sense in terms of 3D, too, as the panel can output a brighter image than the GT50 and VT50. It's a tremendously difficult choice, as there are advantages and drawbacks to each option.

Hi Strapped, no that is fine, all of the Panasonic's look great! The VT50 looked nice, but I am struggling to see the difference. I took some more pictures of Transformers just now:

8131642308_6506b0812e.jpg

8131605001_802c10431f.jpg

Black levels seem to measure in the same on all of them, and they are hugely impressive. I still have my GT50 on normal factory settings, which is seriously good. THX mode good, but I just love the normal settings. If I could have any TV I would have a 55 inch but that means either the ST or the VT which is a tough call. The reviews state they are very similar and they look it. I think I would trust WHF and go for the ST55 based on the ST65 review. But saying that the GT50 would be a serious jump in performance over the 42V20 - it really is good.

Hope that is of some help. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

I still don't see any grain on my Transformers at home, the picture is very clean, clear and sharp. Could the setup at Richer Sounds course the grain, or is just the Blu-ray player? Pictures have never been great in there.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
No mention of grain on the blu-ray.com review, which I normally rely on. Grain is normally an issue, and desirable, on older films where dodgy remasters can remove the original look. My opinion is that blu ray PQ ought to be the same and the marked difference you are describing can only be down to the different set ups of the TVs.

D

Deleted member 2457

BenLaw said:
No mention of grain on the blu-ray.com review, which I normally rely on. Grain is normally an issue, and desirable, on older films where dodgy remasters can remove the original look. My opinion is that blu ray PQ ought to be the same and the marked difference you are describing can only be down to the different set ups of the TVs.

Ah cheers Ben, that is brilliant. The quality of the picture was good. I reckon it must be down to set up. The Blu-ray player was showing on a number of screens, like 10 or so in there, would that cause it?

Cheers.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Do you know what picture preset they used at RS? If they used the dynamic preset this could make images look noisier and coarser...

Presumably you don't engage noise reduction on either your BDP or TV at home? If so, that could scrub some grain from the picture at the expense of fine detail. The grainier image viewed in-store would therefore be more faithful to the transfer contained on the disc.

I can't imagine a BDP would add grain to the picture. If grain's there on the disc, you want it faithfully reproduced by your BDP. Better that than undefeatable noise reduction.

Perhaps you could try a selection of discs you've watched many times. I always take along a variety of favourites when auditioning potential new kit. Make sure the TV is set up correctly (I'd switch to the THX preset and check that all additional processing is turned off). You perhaps did this anyway, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Cheers for the pointers on the ST/GT/VT50.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Do you know what picture preset they used at RS? If they used the dynamic preset this could make images look noisier and coarser...

Presumably you don't engage noise reduction on either your BDP or TV at home? If so, that could scrub some grain from the picture at the expense of fine detail. The grainier image viewed in-store would therefore be more faithful to the transfer contained on the disc.

I can't imagine a BDP would add grain to the picture. If grain's there on the disc, you want it faithfully reproduced by your BDP. Better that than undefeatable noise reduction.

Perhaps you could try a selection of discs you've watched many times. I always take along a variety of favourites when auditioning potential new kit. Make sure the TV is set up correctly (I'd switch to the THX preset and check that all additional processing is turned off). You perhaps did this anyway, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Cheers for the pointers on the ST/GT/VT50.

Ah cheers and no probs. Yep, and will do. Cheers. I don't know what picture setting they used, I imagined it would be normal but I didn't think in asking. I didn't look dynamic. Normal TV did not look as good as it does on mine either. Another tough decision. Cheers.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I only ask because most stores (including Richer Sounds, I know, because I've asked them) will leave display models on the dynamic preset so the picture looks punchier under bright shop lighting. I'd imagine you were watching the dymanic preset by default, which probably accounts for the noisier picture. It would also explain why normal TV didn't look so good.

Of course I don't know this for certain, but it seems a reasonable hypothesis based on your audition experiences.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
I only ask because most stores (including Richer Sounds, I know, because I've asked them) will leave display models on the dynamic preset so the picture looks punchier under bright shop lighting. I'd imagine you were watching the dymanic preset by default, which probably accounts for the noisier picture. It would also explain why normal TV didn't look so good.

Of course I don't know this for certain, but it seems a reasonable hypothesis based on your audition experiences.

Could well do. Cheers for that.

D

Deleted member 2457

I think I have decided on not to purchase based on I am not 100 per cent sure, and I didn't like the amount of grain I was seeing. I think I will keep the money for a purchase I am 100 per cent sure about.

Cheers guys.

D

Deleted member 2457

I think I am going to turn my attention elsewhere to the Marantz 7007 or 7006 and the Oppo's. Because there is no point in pursuing the Cambridge one if the picture don't measure up, I might as well look for a bargain some place else. I think I might look on eBay for one of these nearer Xmas time. Anything else I could throw in the mix? Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts