Most influential recording, and why.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sospri said:
Just pointing out what you posted after you denied that you did..............

He's explained the use of the "etc etc" already:

matt49 said:
1. you're misquoting me. I didn't say "musicians and producers", I said "musicians, producers, musical tastes, and even society at large", and then I gave a shorthand version of the same: "musicians, producers etc etc". What I was saying is that "influential" is most naturally construed as meaninggenerally influential (as far as music can be influential, that is).

Do try to keep up...

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Sospri said:

matt49 said:
1. you're misquoting me. I didn't say "musicians and producers", I said "musicians, producers, musical tastes, and even society at large", and then I gave a shorthand version of the same: "musicians, producers etc etc". What I was saying is that "influential" is most naturally construed as meaninggenerally influential (as far as music can be influential, that is).

Do try to keep up...

Excuse me, who asked your opinion.............
smiley-cool.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Sospri said:

If you're both going to argue, can you argue over something worth arguing about please.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The OP mentioned that he already had a shortlist, so I'm guessing that's about 3 artist, and we're supposed to be helping him to add to that list.

He's named Robert Johnson as one of those artist, so I'm just wondering who the other two are.

I know nothing about this guy, but he inspired Bob Dylan, so he must be regarded as highly influential, Woody Guthrie. Am I right? :)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The OP mentioned that he already had a shortlist, so I'm guessing that's about 3 artist, and we're supposed to be helping him to add to that list.

He's named Robert Johnson as one of those artist, so I'm just wondering who the other two are.

I know nothing about this guy, but he inspired Bob Dylan, so he must be regarded as highly influential, Woody Guthrie. Am I right? :)

yes, but wasn't the point of the exercise to suggest individual recordings, not artists, which makes the task more challenging and more interesting?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

matt49 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

yes, but wasn't the point of the exercise to suggest individual recordings, not artists, which makes the task more challenging and more interesting?

Yes. Over to you.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sospri said:
The_Lhc said:
Sospri said:

matt49 said:

Do try to keep up...

Excuse me, who asked your opinion.............
smiley-cool.gif

If you don't want my opinion, don't poke me in the eye...

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
matt49 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Yes. Over to you.

thanks!

I suggested New Order - Blue Monday.

I agree with Robert Johnson and would propose King of the Delta Blues.

I don't know Woody Guthrie well enough.

And how about Hank Williams - Health and Happiness Shows? Don't think we've had any C&W yet.

:santa:

Matt

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm quite surprised that no-one has suggested Led Zeppelin, or maybe like me, everyone has finally realised that they are nothing but song stealers.

The song remains the same.......as other people's songs, but we won't give them any writing credits. How about that one?

I know this is going to get me in to similar trouble to my Pink Floyd remarks, so bring it on. :)

John Duncan

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm quite surprised that no-one has suggested Led Zeppelin, or maybe like me, everyone has finally realised that they are nothing but song stealers.

TBH I don't really care whether they stole songs or not (I think everybody does, there are only 12 notes after all), but I think it difficult to deny they had an influence on Queen, Rush, Van Halen, and many other bands who developed their own sound thereafter. I was going to say Zeppelin first before I thought of Hendrix, who I think pretty much invented a whole genre of music - even if I don't really like him and prefer those who took his blueprint and modified it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

John Duncan said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

TBH I don't really care whether they stole songs or not (I think everybody does

I don't deny their influence on other bands, but although I do own Led Zepp records, I can't forgive stealing, not only music, but whole songs, titles and lyrics included, and then not give a writing credit to the original artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTsvs-pAGDc

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Quite right BIGBERNARD - google him and read the bit on wikipedia.

He's influenced more than Dylan ....without him the likes of Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones etc might sound completely different (and a good job say some.) :)

manicm

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
John Duncan said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I don't deny their influence on other bands, but although I do own Led Zepp records, I can't forgive stealing, not only music, but whole songs, titles and lyrics included, and then not give a writing credit to the original artist.

Yes you're stirring :twisted: , but I'll go a step further - don't get me wrong I love the Zep, but in the 70s I think David Gilmour was actually a better guitarist than Jimmy Page.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
[/quote]

Bowie is undoubtedly an influential artist, nobody could sensibly argue with that, but the only album which may, and I do mean may be an influence, is "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust..." , though musically, it's still not a game changer is it.

[/quote]

The 'Low' album was very influential.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
John Duncan said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Yes you're stirring :twisted: , but I'll go a step further - don't get me wrong I love the Zep, but in the 70s I think David Gilmour was actually a better guitarist than Jimmy Page.

Don't get me wrong, I like both bands, but there were a lot of guitarists in the seventies who were better than both of them

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Frank Zappa Freak Out

Bob Dylan Highway 61

King Crimson The court of the Crimson King

The Beatles SPLHCB

Pink Floy The piper of the agtes of down

Kraftwerk Autobahn

manicm

The only 2 out of your list that were really influential were Dylan's Highway 61 and Kraftwerk.

I'm a huge Crimson fan, and I'm gonna get shot for saying this, but Crimson King was no more, and probably less influential than the Moody Blues' Days Of Future Passed. In fact the former is quite reminiscent in parts of the latter - which was recorded 2 years earlier.

I know that will hurt Moody Blues haters :twisted:

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
hammill said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
There are a lot of Pink Floyd fans on here aren't there? :shifty:
Middle aged men interested into HiFi often like Pink Floyd? In other surprising news, Pope turns out to be catholic.

Apart from being funny that is a very salient point. What you determine to be influential will vary heavily depending on age (and other factors).

I find it interesting that there hasn't even been one suggestion of (at least not that I noticed):

Thriller - Michael Jackson

That album and the artist himself are quoted as the influence of so many modern artists. Not to mention that being the best selling album of all time means it has had far reaching impact globally.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts