Need help choosing my next integrated amplifier

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Fandango Andy

when a song is remixed and presented with higher resolution, it usually sounds more spacious, with a better sound stage, but sometimes doesn't sound as good as the original recording, due to its remixing.

Remixed isn't always better. I have some records on vinyl, and CD. when I compare them to high res streaming sometimes the stream sounds better, sometimes the CD, sometimes the vinyl.

The problem with a lot of remixes, is who they are intended for. If you are on this forum, you are the freak, the outsider, the geek. Most people don't own a hifi, they listen to music on their phone, or a bluetooth speaker that cost less than your speaker cables. Some people have higher quality bluetooth speakers, but they are still bluetooth! Others only listen in their car.

Back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's hifi's were more common. then in the 80's Boomboxes/gettoblasters came along as did Walkmens. As the way people listened to music changed, the way it was mixed changed.

The biggest difference between an old mix and a modern mixes or remixes of an old recording is dynamic range, the difference between the loudest and quietest parts of a recording. A lot of modern mixes suppress dynamic range in favour of volume. This may sound better on your airpod, but not on a pair of hifi speakers.

The biggest problem with Amazon, where they used to have old mixes, they are phasing them out in favour of new ones.

TRENDING THREADS