Most influential recording, and why.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
dsuciato said:
Robert Johnson

Decent shout

dsuciato said:
Guns N' Roses?

You are joking, right? :O

This is the other problem with threads like this, they stop being about "influential" recordings and become a simple list of people's *favourite* albums, which isn't the same thing at all.

Mind you, it took a lot longer than I thought it would.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
This is the other problem with threads like this, they stop being about "influential" recordings and become a simple list of people's *favourite* albums, which isn't the same thing at all.

It would have been more interesting IMO if this could have been confined to "most influential" in the sense of influential on subsequent musicians, producers, musical tastes, and even society at large (if you can argue the case). But the OP does say "most influential / best", and "best" opens the door to lists of favourite albums.

I'm also surprised by the number of people who've construed "most influential" as meaning "had most influence on me", which is a very odd and rather self-regarding way of reading the words. "Most influential" surely means influential on other musicians, producers etc etc.

:santa:

Matt

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
I'm also surprised by the number of people who've construed "most influential" as meaning "had most influence on me", which is a very odd and rather self-regarding way of reading the words. "Most influential" surely means influential on other musicians, producers etc etc.

Yes, that thought crossed my mind, unless you're actually a musician yourself (and one that actively creates your own music) I'm not sure how any album could be personally influential, although to be fair I have taken Pop Will Eat Itself's message of never rub Another Man's Rhubarb somewhat to heart...

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
The_Lhc said:

It would have been more interesting IMO if this could have been confined to "most influential" in the sense of influential on subsequent musicians, producers, musical tastes, and even society at large (if you can argue the case). But the OP does say "most influential / best", and "best" opens the door to lists of favourite albums.

Matt

Why does it ?

If it was meant to mean musicians and producers, why did it not say so.................

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
matt49 said:

Yes, that thought crossed my mind, unless you're actually a musician yourself (and one that actively creates your own music) I'm not sure how any album could be personally influential, although to be fair I have taken Pop Will Eat Itself's message of never rub Another Man's Rhubarb somewhat to heart...

I, in retrospect assumed that was inherent to the question, but then the above was applicable to myself at the time.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sospri said:
matt49 said:

Why does it ?

If it was meant to mean musicians and producers, why did it not say so.................

Well in what way can music be influential on those who have no connection to making music. Take me as an example, I work in IT and my favourite pastime is playing golf, how on earth is The Blues Brothers Briefcase Full of Blues (one of my favourite albums) actually going to be influential on my life? It's an illogical question for people like myself surely?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Sospri said:
matt49 said:
The_Lhc said:

Matt

Why does it ?

Two things.

1. you're misquoting me. I didn't say "musicians and producers", I said "musicians, producers, musical tastes, and even society at large", and then I gave a shorthand version of the same: "musicians, producers etc etc". What I was saying is that "influential" is most naturally construed as meaning generally influential (as far as music can be influential, that is).

2. normal English usage supports my view. If you were to say "Shakespeare has been an influential writer" you wouldn't mean "influential on me", you'd mean influential on other writers and culture and society at large. If you wanted to mean "influential on me", you'd say it differently, something like "Shakespeare has had a profound influence on me". This is just normal usage of the word "influential".

dsuciato said:
Nobody mentioned Robert Johnson, YES, Guns N' Roses? :)

Ah, eventually someone who appears on my very short list so far.

Robert Johnson.

Influessed many artists across multiple genres in his very short career and voted 1st in '35 Guitar Gods' by Spin Magazine, a mere 52 years after his death.

I believe he is the man to beat so far.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Well in what way can music be influential on those who have no connection to making music.

Lots of ways. For example you might listen to songs such as "A Motorbike in Africa", Biko or "Free Nelson Mandela" and decide to join the anti apartheid movement or listening to "Glad to be Gay" could change your feeling about Gay rights. Perhaps "Big Yellow Taxi" could turn you on to ecology or "It says here" make you stop reading the gutter press.

Moving way from that meaning of influential, perhaps a piece of music turned you onto a different style of music you had not previously considered like "Seconds Out" turned me on to prog or Chick Corea influenced me to explore Jazz.

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Agreed, let's move on from the Pink Floyd love-fest. I just wouldn't put them in the same category of influence as Bod Dylan or Elvis. Surprised Bowie's not been mentioned yet, although I'd vote for Dylan - still making and influencing music today (just can't decide on an album)

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
Sospri said:
matt49 said:
The_Lhc said:

Matt

Why does it ?

Two things.

1. you're misquoting me. I didn't say "musicians and producers", I said "musicians, producers, musical tastes, and even society at large", and then I gave a shorthand version of the same: "musicians, producers etc etc". What I was saying is that "influential" is most naturally construed as meaning generally influential (as far as music can be influential, that is).

2. normal English usage supports my view. If you were to say "Shakespeare has been an influential writer" you wouldn't mean "influential on me", you'd mean influential on other writers and culture and society at large. If you wanted to mean "influential on me", you'd say it differently, something like "Shakespeare has had a profound influence on me". This is just normal usage of the word "influential".

Not at all,

Music has influenced people to do a myriad of things, your veiwpoint is very short sighted...............

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
hammill said:
The_Lhc said:
Well in what way can music be influential on those who have no connection to making music.

Lots of ways. For example you might listen to songs such as "A Motorbike in Africa", Biko or "Free Nelson Mandela" and decide to join the anti apartheid movement or listening to "Glad to be Gay" could change your feeling about Gay rights. Perhaps "Big Yellow Taxi" could turn you on to ecology or "It says here" make you stop reading the gutter press.

Moving way from that meaning of influential, perhaps a piece of music turned you onto a different style of music you had not previously considered like "Seconds Out" turned me on to prog or Chick Corea influenced me to explore Jazz.

Yes I agree the reason I got into jazz was the saxophone used by groups like Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen and Steely Dan, without that I would have maybe not any jazz cds or books, so that was an influence. Of course music has an influence on what people buy and because of that can have an effect of music and record companies, its a two thing its not just musicians producing what they want, its also about sales. not saying thats a good influence.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Sospri said:
matt49 said:

Why does it ?

Well in what way can music be influential on those who have no connection to making music. Take me as an example, I work in IT and my favourite pastime is playing golf, how on earth is The Blues Brothers Briefcase Full of Blues (one of my favourite albums) actually going to be influential on my life? It's an illogical question for people like myself surely?

For people like you, probably.....................

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

dangalf said:
Surprised Bowie's not been mentioned yet

But which album? There's not many (if any) Bowie recordings that were a brand new style of music, they tended to be (in my opinion) his take on a previous style of music

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
dangalf said:

But which album? There's not many (if any) Bowie recordings that were a brand new style of music, they tended to be (in my opinion) his take on a previous style of music

Fair comment. Haven't listened to a HUGE amount of Bowie (yet), only about 5 or 6 albums and wasn't around when he was in his pomp so it's difficult for me to say, he's normally mentioned as the (or one of) the most influential of all time. Of course it could be argued that Britney Spears was very influential...>)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Sospri said:
Not at all,

Music has influenced people to do a myriad of things, your veiwpoint is very short sighted...............

Sorry, you must have got confused. Your post looks like a response to The Lhc, not to me.

i agree that music can influence all sorts of people in all sorts of ways, and I think my posts make that clear (see my reference to "society at large".)

Maybe if you're going to accuse someone of being "shortsighted", you should make sure you've read their post properly.:O

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

dangalf said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
dangalf said:

Fair comment. Haven't listened to a HUGE amount of Bowie (yet), only about 5 or 6 albums and wasn't around when he was in his pomp so it's difficult for me to say, he's normally mentioned as the (or one of) the most influential of all time. Of course it could be argued that Britney Spears was very influential...>)

Bowie is undoubtedly an influential artist, nobody could sensibly argue with that, but the only album which may, and I do mean may be an influence, is "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust..." , though musically, it's still not a game changer is it.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
Sospri said:
Not at all,

Sorry, you must have got confused. Your post looks like a response to The Lhc, not to me.

i agree that music can influence all sorts of people in all sorts of ways, and I think my posts make that clear (see my reference to "society at large".)

Maybe if you're going to accuse someone of being "shortsighted", you should make sure you've read their post properly.:O

I think not..................

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sospri said:
The_Lhc said:
Sospri said:
matt49 said:

Why does it ?

For people like you, probably.....................

That's a bit half-hearted, come on, have the courage of your convictions, say what you mean!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
dangalf said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
dangalf said:

Fair comment. Haven't listened to a HUGE amount of Bowie (yet), only about 5 or 6 albums and wasn't around when he was in his pomp so it's difficult for me to say, he's normally mentioned as the (or one of) the most influential of all time.

In terms of visual style, the creation of the Pop "Star" sure, you've got to give it to him, bit like Jim Morrison created the look of the modern Rock frontman but I'd agree with BBB that a number of his albums were pastiches of established genres.

Of course it could be argued that Britney Spears was very influential...>)

Nah.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Sospri said:
matt49 said:
Sospri said:
Not at all,

I think not..................

And now you're quoting my words without using the quote function or putting them in quotation marks. What on earth are you doing?

TRENDING THREADS