Most influential recording, and why.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ANOther

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I would nominate Troutmask Replica and Metal Machine Music - both received with derision but showed what was possible by ignoring convention.

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
dangalf said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
dangalf said:
Surprised Bowie's not been mentioned yet

But which album? There's not many (if any) Bowie recordings that were a brand new style of music, they tended to be (in my opinion) his take on a previous style of music

Fair comment. Haven't listened to a HUGE amount of Bowie (yet), only about 5 or 6 albums and wasn't around when he was in his pomp so it's difficult for me to say, he's normally mentioned as the (or one of) the most influential of all time. Of course it could be argued that Britney Spears was very influential...>)

Bowie is undoubtedly an influential artist, nobody could sensibly argue with that, but the only album which may, and I do mean may be an influence, is "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust..." , though musically, it's still not a game changer is it.

True and Hunky Dory I can't think of another track that sounds quite like Life On Mars so it's influence is zilch :)

Didn't think there'd be much consensus but no-one seems to disagree with Kraftwerk's influence.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Elvispresleydebutalbum.jpeg

“...it was like he came along and whispered some dream in everybody’s ear, and somehow we all dreamed it.”
-Bruce Springsteen

“When I first heard Elvis' voice, I just knew that I wasn’t going to work for anybody; and nobody was going to be my boss...Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail.”
-Bob Dylan

“He was a unique artist - an original in an area of imitators.”
-Mick Jagger

“Before Elvis, there was nothing.”
-John Lennon

“There’ll never be another like that soul brother."
-James Brown

Oh, and that album cover has had influence, too - most notably:

7920d1379791236-clash-london-calling-london.jpg

And to prove that the pink and green typography is still influencing album cover design, i present this current horror - which I was unlucky enough to be subjected to a TV advert for last night:

Cliff%20Richard%20%E2%80%93%20The%20Fabulous%20Rock%20%E2%80%98n%E2%80%99%20Roll%20Songbook-500.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Cliff has always been my parent's generation of music. His first hits were almost twenty years before I became a teen. I don't think of him as anything much, other than a TV personality of the 1970s who also sang a bit.

Was he that influential? I always thought him a cheap, 'safe', 'knock-off', British Elvis copy who spent most of his subsequent career appealling to middle-aged women.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Has everybody on the internet lost the ability to read?

chebby said:
Was he that influential? I always thought him a cheap, 'safe', 'knock-off', British Elvis copy who spent most of his subsequent career appealling to middle-aged women.

He was a safe, British, Elvis knock off, Clare wasn't suggesting he was influential, but that the album cover font was clearly influenced by the Clash album cover, that's pretty clear if you actually read what she wrote.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sorry Clare. Just having a quick break in a very busy 'last day-off' before I start 7 days work tomorrow. Was concentrating more on cleaning windows, fitting a new roller blind and writing shopping list for last minute Christmas perishables. (On which subject, definitely no Cliff CDs!)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

C'mon, let's stop pussyfooting around, and say it like it is; Cliff is utter utter sh*te. :)

van Rockagne

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
This is à tough question and certainly difficult to answer. In my opinion we should ask the musicians, producers, singers, songwriters.

but I like the idea that listeners around the world asked themselves, by who was i influenced in my music choice. It can give a nice debate on boring Christmas days. Be open for what others opinion and learn from people who know a little bit more about a certain artist.

wel we could thank the one who invented the records, the manufacturers who made it evolve.

For me personally I grew up with the following artist, try to keep this list with 10 in irregular order.

My influential artist.

Beatles

Queen

Eric Clapton

Rolling Stones

Simon and Garfunkel

Bruce Spingsteen

Dire Straits

Madonna

Michael Jakson

Underworld

as I re-read this list I indicate this list as mainstream. Then ask myself how and why? Answer: All were FM active and commercial plugged by the record companies. I was a radio listener and still am. My age? I'm from 1974.

With every song there Is a memory. Time, Place a Friend.

artist who are not on my list are not ruled out. They are not bad artists.

please artists make your own sound not the one the record company likes

manicm

ebentjerodt said:
For many people Progressive Rock started wiht The Court of the Crimson King. That is quite influence for me.

Sorry mate, for many, as much as some would hate to hear this, prog rock actually may have started with Days Of Future Passed. Just hear John Lodge's track Peak Hour on - it rocks more than anything on Court. John Lodge was in fact an excellent bass player with the Moodies first 7 albums, up there with any traditional rock player.

Don't get me wrong - I love both albums which are both great in their own way, I just think common wisdom sometimes is just wrong.

manicm

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
C'mon, let's stop pussyfooting around, and say it like it is; Cliff is utter utter sh*te. :)

I agree, but some of his singles like Devil Woman and Some People are insanely catchy. I've always wanted to hate bastards like him and Queen who broke the cultural boycott in South Africa, but gotta say the bastards had some good tunes. :doh:

manicm

Native_bon said:
To me micheal Jackson.. Thiiler. Changed the way music video was made & first black artist to be featured on MTV. Broke down barriers!!

I love MJ, well up to and including Bad - I found his later stuff meh. Yes he was insanely successful, but don't think his musical influence was great. Except of-course, his videos - that really started the music video revolution. But note too, Peter Gabriel already had a few great videos for his third album in 1982 before Thriller.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

manicm said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I agree, but some of his singles like Devil Woman and Some People are insanely catchy. I've always wanted to hate bastards like him and Queen who broke the cultural boycott in South Africa, but gotta say the bastards had some good tunes. :doh:

I really hate Queen, always have, always will, and when they (well 2 of them) played at Nelson Mandella's birthday concert, I was beyond livid.

Who the f*ck thought it was a good idea to invite them?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

marou said:
Easy to knock Cliff but he was the first proper UK rock'n'roller - Move It is arguably the most influential record produced in this country.

Someone's been hitting the Christmas sherry a bit hard I think. :O

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
GnR where promoted hair metal at the time , they had some good tunes but lets be honest they where just as shite as the Dogs d' amour and faster pussycat

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
Native_bon said:
To me micheal Jackson.. Thiiler. Changed the way music video was made & first black artist to be featured on MTV. Broke down barriers!!

I love MJ, well up to and including Bad - I found his later stuff meh. Yes he was insanely successful, but don't think his musical influence was great. Except of-course, his videos - that really started the music video revolution. But note too, Peter Gabriel already had a few great videos for his third album in 1982 before Thriller.

I'm glad to see Michael and Thriller finally get mentioned.Though I completely disagree with the the notion that his musical influence was not far reaching. Do you listen to modern pop music?

Allow me to quote myself from back at the end of page 8 in this thread:

Me from page 8 said:
I find it interesting that there hasn't even been one suggestion of (at least not that I noticed):

Thriller - Michael Jackson

That album and the artist himself are quoted as the influence of so many modern artists. Not to mention that being the best selling album of all time means it has had far reaching impact globally.

manicm

Ajani said:
manicm said:
Native_bon said:

I'm glad to see Michael and Thriller finally get mentioned.Though I completely disagree with the the notion that his musical influence was not far reaching. Do you listen to modern pop music?

Me from page 8 said:
I find it interesting that there hasn't even been one suggestion of (at least not that I noticed):

That album and the artist himself are quoted as the influence of so many modern artists. Not to mention that being the best selling album of all time means it has had far reaching impact globally.

I don't think he directly influenced any artists directly - it would be pretty difficult anyway as all 3 of his major albums i.e. Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad were already amalgams of Pop, Soul, Rock and lite-metal (Beat It, Dirty Diana). He just packaged it very well with great help from Quincy Jones. Also remember that by 1983, the Commodores/Lionel Ritchie were also huge - and they had their own sound.

Stevie Wonder was the real influence on so many soul/RnB/Hip Hop artists.

MJ was deservedly and outrageously successful - but let's not overstate things here as far as musical influence goes.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
Ajani said:
manicm said:
Native_bon said:

Me from page 8 said:

I don't think he directly influenced any artists directly - it would be pretty difficult anyway as all 3 of his major albums i.e. Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad were already amalgams of Pop, Soul, Rock and lite-metal (Beat It, Dirty Diana). He just packaged it very well with great help from Quincy Jones. Also remember that by 1983, the Commodores/Lionel Ritchie were also huge - and they had their own sound.

Stevie Wonder was the real influence on so many soul/RnB/Hip Hop artists.

MJ was deservedly and outrageously successful - but let's not overstate things here as far as musical influence goes.

Clearly we disagree on the term "influence" in the context of this thread.

I believe this small list from wikipedia is just the artists that have directly cited MJ as an influence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artists_influenced_by_Michael_Jackson

If the question is whether MJ created POP, Rock or Soul, then clearly not... but so many artists grew up wanting to be him and hence cite him as an influence.. and you can see his influence in the way they sing, dance and even shoot music videos...

And we haven't even discussed his Jackson 5 and Jacksons days... Let's remember that MJ was a massive star from his early childhood... His impact didn't start with Off The Wall.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts