Most influential recording, and why.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
manicm said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
There are a lot of Pink Floyd fans on here aren't there? :shifty:

Not necessarily, but as you would have guessed we are a defensive bunch :rofl:

I knew what I was letting myself in for I can assure you, and I'll repeat, I'm not anti-Pink Floyd, but I prefer the psychedelic pop of "See Emily Play", to the pomp of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond".

I actually enjoy both.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Middle aged men interested into HiFi often like Pink Floyd? In other surprising news, Pope turns out to be catholic. I think the point was you set a challenge when PF was mentioned, which had not been applied to the suggestions of others, so we accepted the challenge :)

As a fan of prog rock, I would probably choose "In the Court of the Crimson King" as the most influential record in that genre , although it is not my personal favourite (good though it is).

J

jcbrum

I liked the Mercury Living Presence recordings, original done on 35mm three-track magnetic tape, and subsequently released for vinyl, then re-mastered by Wilma Cozart-Fine for CD.

The track 'Liberty Bell' by Eastman Wind Band is brilliant. :)

JC

manicm

hammill said:
As a fan of prog rock, I would probably choose "In the Court of the Crimson King" as the most influential record in that genre , although it is not my personal favourite (good though it is).

That seems to be the cliched choice isn't it? Even by those who haven't heard it. I love that album, but if you really want to hear what Crimson were capable of get a copy of Red.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Rock musicians steal ideas from others shock, whatever next....... :?

I was a huge Pink Floyd fan, helping to organise illicit trips from school on a sunday to see them play at the Arts Lab and the UFO. The school thought we were going to see the recording of the BBC radio show 'I'm sorry I'll read that again', at the Playhouse theatre next to Charring cross station.

We saw Floyd with Barrett, without Barrett as a three piece and as a four piece with Gilmour. Later whilst at uni I saw them at Hyde Park when they played their first 'concept', Atom Heart Mother, with full choir and the rest, this was the second half of the show, the first consisting of extended versions of Astronomy Domini, Set the Controls and the rest. I did not see them again for nearly tree years.

Early in '73 we bought tickets to a benefit concert for Robert Wyatt without knowing who would be playing. Closer to the date of the gigs at the Rainbow we discovered that Floyd would be playing. Not quite knowing what to expect we got to see a quite superb 45 minute improvisation from a Wyattless Soft Machine, followed by the first public performance ever of DSOTM, in full quad sound, crashing plane, the works.

Bear in mind this was weeks before even the advance copies of the album were sent out, a true premiere in every sense. That was the peak, for me, followed by a steady decline as the same old ideas were recycled, some good moments on 'Wish you were hear' but mostly tosh, culminating in the awful 'Wall'.

At least I was lucky enough to see the best bits...... :rockout:

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
manicm said:
Clare Newsome said:
hammill said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Middle aged men interested into HiFi often like Pink Floyd? In other surprising news, Pope turns out to be catholic.

:rofl:

You know Clare, I once held you in really high esteem....I'm docking you a :star: just for that!!!! :grin:

:)

Years of hi-fi show attendance (and being married to a Pink Floyd fan) tell me this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DYje57V_BY

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
hammill said:

That seems to be the cliched choice isn't it? Even by those who haven't heard it. I love that album, but if you really want to hear what Crimson were capable of get a copy of Red.

Yes, bit like DSOTM. Thanks for the recommendation, but I have Red, along with ITCOTCK, Starless & Bible Black, Lizard, Discipline, Three of a Perfect Pair, Islands, Earthbound and Thrak. However my favourite is Larks Tongues in Aspic, one of my top 5 of all time.

manicm

hammill said:
manicm said:
hammill said:

Yes, bit like DSOTM. Thanks for the recommendation, but I have Red, along with ITCOTCK, Starless & Bible Black, Lizard, Discipline, Three of a Perfect Pair, Islands, Earthbound and Thrak. However my favourite is Larks Tongues in Aspic, one of my top 5 of all time.

Oh see you're a Crimson fan too. Larks is right up there too yes. Only bits of Thrak I've heard is from the 'official bootleg' I have B'Boom Argentina. Quite good too.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
My second choice, having heard it one drunken (?) night recently, would have been King Crimson "In the Court of the Crimson King". Phenomenal, redefined pop music. Pink Floyd were middle of the road bankers by comparison.

A third option would be Fats Waller. Mostly forgotten, but ushered in Rock and Roll.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
A third option would be Fats Waller. Mostly forgotten, but ushered in Rock and Roll.

"Your feet's too big" is a favorite of mine......nice choice of artist.

@Al ears

I'm going to cheat a little and say:

Mozart - Music for the soul.

Early Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) - Caught my imagination in my late teens.

alex30

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm going to have to say anything that came out of STAX records in the seventies. They were an American label where the black and white musicians just got together, put race and colour to one side and produced great music. They got caught up in the aftermath of Martin Luther King's assasination only to eventually succumb due to two main things, the death of their biggest star,Otis Redding ,in a plane crash and contractual wrangles which saw them lose their catologue.

The STAX sound was really unique as the recording studio was an old cinema , complete with sloping floor. The musicions were placed where the screen was and faced into the slope where the seats used to be. As you can imagine this had a profound effect on the acoustics and as I said , it was particular to STAX.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
In the 70s, the one album that influenced my musical tastes more than any other was Machine Head by Deep Purple. In the 80s, it was Surfing With The Alien by Joe Satriani. In the 90s it was Awake by Dream Theater. In the last decade, it's been recordings from ECM.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I think it all depends on your era. If you were a 60s person like me then albums like "Sgt Pepper" and "Pet Sounds" were seminal as were things like the Moody Blues "Days of Future Past" and Hendrix's "Are you experienced". I could also make a case for "Blues Breakers" by John Mayall from 1966 which certainly influenced me.

Chris

PS The acclaim for Pink Floyd seems to me to be rather retrospective. I recall them as being very much a minority interest.

PPS The "album" which influenced me most in my like was a DG recording on Geza Anda playing the Bartok 3rd Piano Concerto. This influenced my interest in classical music more than any other thing.

Oldskool1976

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Haven't read all the thread so sorry if it has been mentioned before, but for me.(Being a Ex-raver/DJ)

The winstons : Amen brother

The six second loop eventually spawned Hardcore,Breakbeat,Jungle and DnB.

Ah the 90's my favourite music era by a distance, the 90's rave culture brings back some of the best memories of my life. Miss all the Pirate stations too, shout to the all those that listened to Don FM,Trance Fm,Energy and Kool which is still going!!

:dance:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
'My Boy Lollipop' (Mllie Small)

And I am serious.

The first ever Ska song to chart in the top ten (# 2 in UK and # 2 in USA) with six million sales and helped in launching Island Records as a label.

One of the few records from my childhood that I still love. (Even though it had first been a hit before I was barely even a toddler, I still remember that it got played a lot on the radio when I was a kid and was one of my mother's favourites too.)

It's possible that it (and Desmond Decker's 'Israelites' when I was just a little older) influenced my later liking for Ska and Reggae.

(I've played that youtube link three times already since starting this post :) )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts