Most annoying DVD intro - How can I crack my DVD player to stop forcing me to watch copyright warnings etc?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just put Charlie Wilson's War into my DVD player expecting to watch a film I've heard good things about.

But first I am forced to watch a 4 minute Unicef film abouts AIDS in Africa. I can't fast forward, can't skip forwards, can't hit menu or top menu, I can't hit pause or stop the only thing I could do is hit the power button to stop it. When I power back up, it just continues from where it left off. 4 Godxxxm minutes of it. And as if to add insult to injury, there follows the obligitory 60 seconds of copyright warnings.

I feel about as violated by the movie company as you can be. What right do they have to force me to endure 5 whole minutes of bull. I PAID for the film. Do I not have the right to just watch the film? I worked for a charity in Africa and know all about the AIDS problem. Is it not my choice to be subjected to a video about it. If I wanted to watch it I would, but to disable the ability to even pause the tape. Who the hell do they think they are? I have every intention of taking the DVD back to HMV tomorrow and getting my money back.

In the meantime, what can I do to get control over my DVD player back? Why are they forcing me to watch these notices when I PAID for the DVD. Do the honestly think I'll have any affinity towards them after being treated this way!!!!!!

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
May i suggest you leave your player well alone, after all its the DVD thats the annoying thing............have you ever watched a Disney DVD...........good god!

I had the same gripe when buying discs for my kids......loadsa trailers (at least i could fast forward them). So to kill two birds with the one stone i got a programme called DVD Fab where you make a back up copy of your DVD, when making the back up select Main Movie and hey presto all you have got is the Movie.......and 1-No more trailers, ad's, copyright law etc etc, 2-You have a back up copy of the DVD you purchased, so when the kids are man handling the disc with their sticky fingers your safe in the knowledge that your original is safely tucked away in your DVD library!!!!!!!!!!!!

May i be crystal clear that you make a back up copy of the DVD that you have PURCHASED............dont want to be breaking any laws now, do we?

A

Anonymous

Torres, I'm with you. And that is EXACTLY what was annoying me. I bought the damn thing. They're preaching to the converted. What pirate even bothers including the copyright nonsense on the rip-off disk.

I just don't understand why the genuine customer gets treated like dirt by the movie companies. It's up there with my hatred for Sony. Every single invention they come up with they burden with so much copy protection that you cannot use it. In Sony's eyes every customer is a crook. I hate them for hating me.

God it feels good to let off some steam. Now I just need to invest in a DVD burner. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

A

Anonymous

Brilliant film. Tom Hanks was awesome and Philip Seymour Hoffman was fantastic. Reluctant to take it back now, but who do I complain to?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Crikey... I hate to think what happens in your house when the boiler packs up...
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

That's actually quite funny as the boiler has packed up and the plumber is coming in the morning, I'm going have to stay in for him. How on earth did you know that??????!!!!!

And yes, I was spitting nails, watching the darned screen. And they wonder why people don't feel bad about pirating stuff. It's because record film studios abuse the legitimate consumers turning them against them. Not the way to treat your customer base wouldn't you agree?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I sympathised with your argument regarding the principle of not being free to watch your purchase in the manner you wish, as I agree it's a pain in the rear.

Personally, I don't really get upset with that stuff, but I totally understand it is an annoyance to others.

But... I can't understand why you watched it anyway, yet are still considering returning it. To me, if you're returning something on principle, you should be principled enough not to use it first!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Master and Commander! loads and loads of trailers that cant be skiped through! It does take the pee a little, But its free advertising for the studio's so it will always be there imo!

Ps my boiler blew up a couple of years ago and was beyond repaird cost me £2000! you might have to put your SVS on the back burner will! :-(

A

Anonymous

Will Harris:

What pirate even bothers including the copyright nonsense on the rip-off disk.

ÿ

Just about every disc I get here on the streets of Bangkok has it, which cracks me up every time...!!ÿ

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I've got into a habit of loading DVD/Blu-ray discs while i'm still conducting pre-movie preparations (drinks; snacks; curtains; phone off hook, that sort of stuff!), so that by the time i'm ready to enjoy the film all the waffle is over. I find it a good coping mechanism (with the bonus of my projector/amp being nicely warmed up for the serious action).

As an aside, I enjoyed Charlie Wilson's War far more than I expected to. Philip Seymour Hoffman rules!

John Duncan

Torres09:May i be crystal clear that you make a back up copy of the DVD that you have PURCHASED............dont want to be breaking any laws now, do we?

Except that's breaking the law as well, but hey.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
I've got into a habit of loading DVD/Blu-ray discs while i'm still conducting pre-movie preparations (drinks; snacks; curtains; phone off hook, that sort of stuff!),

Me too. I put the kettle on or pop out for the takeaway and leave others to watch it while I 'sacrifice myself for the family good'. They freeze it when the titles have ended so I can sit down and watch straight away. Works a treat.

If I'm on my own I pop to the toilet. If they want to make me watch loads of [it], I'd rather go for ...... Any way too much info there.

It's like a war and I refuse to capitulate.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
I've got into a habit of loading DVD/Blu-ray discs while i'm still conducting pre-movie preparations (drinks; snacks; curtains; phone off hook, that sort of stuff!), so that by the time i'm ready to enjoy the film all the waffle is over. I find it a good coping mechanism (with the bonus of my projector/amp being nicely warmed up for the serious action).

As an aside, I enjoyed Charlie Wilson's War far more than I expected to. Philip Seymour Hoffman rules!

Aha, a sensible person (Claire). I honestly cannot believe what I have just read!!! If you have been to Africa Will, surely you should be more sympathetic about trying to get a message across and raise money. Should the dvd maker cater for all the people that have been to Africa and don't need to me educated about the AIDS problem or for the 99.99999999999999999999999% of the rest of us? Tough question.

Seymour Hoffman is the greatest actor on the planet.

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:Clare Newsome:

Aha, a sensible person (Claire). I honestly cannot believe what I have just read!!! If you have been to Africa Will, surely you should be more sympathetic about trying to get a message across and raise money. Should the dvd maker cater for all the people that have been to Africa and don't need to me educated about the AIDS problem or for the 99.99999999999999999999999% of the rest of us? Tough question.

Seymour Hoffman is the greatest actor on the planet.

Oooo I can feel a thread coming on........

A

Anonymous

Ha! Gerrardasnails, you've got a point. There is a big problem with AIDS in Africa. Having seen it first hand I don't begrudge them the opportunity to put their case and ask for donations from people like me.

What I don't like is not having the option to skip it or stop it or pause it. That is going too far. This is not a police state. There are people who need educating and most will be enthralled by Gwyneth Paltrow doing the voice over. The only thing about it that I don't like is that my control over my DVD player and my disk has been taken away from me. This I do not like.

And yes, I thought Philip Seymour Hoffman was outstanding. Utter legend.

This is a thread! And it should be. I want control of my DVD player back. Is Bluray going to be just as bad?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
andyb190:Clare Newsome:
I've got into a habit of loading DVD/Blu-ray discs while i'm still conducting pre-movie preparations (drinks; snacks; curtains; phone off hook, that sort of stuff!),

If I'm on my own I pop to the toilet.

Yes, you're right Andy, way too much information!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:Ha! Gerrardasnails, you've got a point. There is a big problem with AIDS in Africa. Having seen it first hand I don't begrudge them the opportunity to put their case and ask for donations from people like me.

What I don't like is not having the option to skip it or stop it or pause it. That is going too far. This is not a police state. There are people who need educating and most will be enthralled by Gwyneth Paltrow doing the voice over. The only thing about it that I don't like is that my control over my DVD player and my disk has been taken away from me. This I do not like.

And yes, I thought Philip Seymour Hoffman was outstanding. Utter legend.

This is a thread! And it should be. I want control of my DVD player back. Is Bluray going to be just as bad?

If the option of forwarding is given, people will do so. Your option is press play, go to the toilet, put the kettle on/crack open some wine etc,. Come back and you will be ready to rock and roll.

John Duncan

Will Harris:I don't begrudge them the opportunity to put their case and ask for donations from people like me.

Yes you do!
emotion-5.gif

Anyway, the point is it's not your DVD. You haven't bought it, they're just lending it to you, and for that privilege they can make you watch what they want.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Will Harris:I don't begrudge them the opportunity to put their case and ask for donations from people like me.

Yes you do!
emotion-5.gif

Anyway, the point is it's not your DVD. You haven't bought it, they're just lending it to you, and for that privilege they can make you watch what they want.

Yes, but we pay for that privilege of being preached to or being sat in front of trailers for movies we don't want to see.It's 10 minutes of your life you won't get back ...so that's not loaned is it ? I

t's taken from us ....unless you plan and train your toilet/eating habits to ensure a suitable distraction. It's training I highly recommend
emotion-5.gif

John Duncan

Have to say though, watching three or four films a week, it's not something htat I've noticed - usually you can at least go at multi-x speed through all that nonsense, haven't felt like my life is being sucked away from me.........

A

Anonymous

Any mention of Pirates to keep the kids happy, eh ? Your conditioning is complete !

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:Clare Newsome:
JohnDuncan: haven't felt like my life is being sucked away from me.........

Ah but then you've got kids - so that's already happened
emotion-3.gif

You don't know what you are missing Claire!

I'm missing about three hundred grand, last time I looked..............

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts