Question. How do i transfer the sound from a dvd player to my computer?

adneny

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey! I've recently bought a 100" projection screen, and a projector.

I'm going to connect my computer to the projector, so I can use the projector as a second screen, and just drag VLC player over to that screen, and play the movie.

The problem is the sound. I got a dvd player with a 5.1 surround.

All I want, is the speakers to work when I play the movie, I don't need them to be connected to the computer.

But how exactly do I connect the dvd player to the projector/pc and bringing the sound with it?

I've got a ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX (AM3r2) motherboard, with a intergrated sound card to it.

Here's a picture of the motherboard if that's relevant ( http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/asus/sabertooth-990fx/rear-view.jpg ).

Here's a picture of the backside of the projector. ( http://images-cdn.ecwid.com/images/274171/53404760.jpg )

The Philips dvd player connections:

6 special connections for the speakers.

L & R audio in (AUX).

Scart

Video out P1, Y, P0

As I've said earlier, I don't care if it's connected to the computer or the projector, as long as it plays 5.1 surround when I start the movie.

Thanks for all help!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi and welcome!

You've not actually said what you currently have in the way of speakers. Do you have some speakers connected to the PC and you want sound to come from them when playing DVDs on the DVD player? If so, what are those speakers (make / model)?

adneny

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
It's a philips Dvd player, with speakers that are only compatible with that dvd player.

I'm going to use the computer to play the movies, and only use the dvd as an amp.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
From what I can tell, the motherboard you've said you have in your PC has an optical output. If this is the case, to get 5.1, you would need to connect this optical output into a an optical / coaxial converter (like this), then connect this into the Digital Input on the Philips via a coaxial cable.

adneny

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Hmm... What if i connect the dvd player to the projector, then change the dvd's players mode to AUX, then use a HDMi from the projector to the pc?

Thanks for all the replies!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
adneny said:
Hmm... What if i connect the dvd player to the projector, then change the dvd's players mode to AUX, then use a HDMi from the projector to the pc?

You're still looking at this the wrong way round, judging by the picture you posted the DVD player/amp has one HDMI socket, that will be an OUTput, not an INput, you need to get the audio INTO the DVD player.

The simplest way is to take an analogue connection from the computer's headphone socket (or other analogue output) to the L+R stereo aux input. This will not give you proper surround sound though. Only stereo, which the DVD player might be able to fudge to some kind of pseudo-surround.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
adneny said:

Connecting the PC to the projector via HDMI makes sense for picture (assuming the PC has an HDMI output), but you still have to connect the PC into the Philips DVD player in order to get sound. As far as I can tell from what you've provided, the only way you can do this is via the method I've outlined above i.e. optical out on PC to optical / coaxial converter, then coaxial cable from this into the Philips.

adneny

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Sorry, let me ask a slightly different question. Why do you want to use the PC as a secondary screen?

Because I have 100% legal video's on my computer that I'd like to show on the projection screen without having to burn it over to a dvd ;)

Oh and btw, I bought a RCA til AUX cable and connected the dvd player to in the minijack port on my computer, and it worked really well :)

It might not be real surround or whatever, but for me as a beginner within sound, it's more than enough :)

Thanks!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
adneny said:
Oh and btw, I bought a RCA til AUX cable and connected the dvd player to in the minijack port on my computer, and it worked really well :)

It might not be real surround or whatever, but for me as a beginner within sound, it's more than enough :)

Good news - glad you're sorted!

TRENDING THREADS