Most ‘ground breaking’ item you have purchased …

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sliced Bread

Definitely the JBL Synthesis SDR-35.

I thought the Yamaha 3060 I had before it was driving my speakers well, but the class G amplification in the synthesis took it to another level. More subtlety, natural timbre and less bloated bass. Between that and Dirac I feel like I’m listening to my films for the first time all over again.

The onboard steamer sounds pretty darn great and somehow Dirac has “corrected” the slightly disjointed high treble from the tweeter of my cm8’s.

Sliced Bread

I’d probably also add my first budget Sony 5,1 receiver (can’t remember the model) and mission 700 series speakers from the very early 00’s. It introduced me to 5.1 and I’ve been obsessed with home cinema ever since :)

nads

Just out of curiosity…
What would you consider the most ‘ground breaking‘ HiFi product you have bought. Either in terms of technical development or indeed the way we enjoy music at home.
For me I would say it was the original Slim Devices Squeezebox which I had to order direct from Slim Devices in the US. No UK availability at that time.
Sitting there watching that scrolling screen display with a remote control (!) and connecting to music on my server or internet radio was really a revelation. Sound quality was excellent for those days….
I truly think that one device changed the face of HiFi as we know it. 😁
Any thoughts?
Mine was also the Squeeze boxes. Though I was later than you I started with a SB 3 that has now given up the ghost.

Gray

Thinking about this afresh, the first flatscreen was a real gamechanger in terms of freedom about siting it (as well as PQ) - a Pioneer plasma that replaced a CRT set so heavy it was a health & safety hazard.
...and the latest are a fair bit lighter still.
My year of installing TVs was around the time people were changing from CRT to flat screens.
(Customers couldn't believe my company charged £15 to take the old set away....I was one of the mugs taking the health and safety risks 🥵).

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
My first amplifier a Mission Cyrus one from 1984!
My second DAC a MARCH DAC 1!
However.... my #Cymbiosis upgraded Pink Triangle, with an Audio Origami Rega RB300 rewired, new bearings, and a Technoweight counterweight has to top the lot! Peter Swain can do a lot more than just service/upgrade Linn LP12's, although his reputation is an unenviable world wide one!

...and the latest are a fair bit lighter still.
My year of installing TVs was around the time people were changing from CRT to flat screens.
(Customers couldn't believe my company charged £15 to take the old set away....I was one of the mugs taking the health and safety risks 🥵).

The Pioneer was a 43" set, and was noticeably heavier than the 50" Panasonic that replaced it. That was a little lighter than the 65" that superseded it, which weighs about the same as my current TV.

Reactions: Gray

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
The Graham Slee Reflex C phono stage. Never since have I heard a component that punches more above its weight than that little gem.
And a very honourable mention for the GAIA III isolation feet. In no way should such a reasonably priced hifi component have such a marked impact on the overall sound of my system.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Ground-breaking for a music obsessive like me was discovering Spotify, it was jaw dropping to be able to access just about everything I'd ever want to listen to......
I've since moved to Tidal because Spotify sucks sound wise but whew what a game changer...

Sliced Bread

The Graham Slee Reflex C phono stage. Never since have I heard a component that punches more above its weight than that little gem.
And a very honourable mention for the GAIA III isolation feet. In no way should such a reasonably priced hifi component have such a marked impact on the overall sound of my system.
I’ve had my eye on the Gaia’s for a while. Is it really that noticeable?

Reactions: Clarkey_71

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I’ve had my eye on the Gaia’s for a while. Is it really that noticeable?

I can only go on my ears and yes, the difference was really noticeable. I was using Soundcare super spikes and I thought they were pretty decent, but I kept seeing Gaia III being mentioned in various posts on here, so took the plunge. Of course there will always be the snake oli naysayers with an alternative view and that's healthy, but I wouldn't change them. The mid range just came alive.
This thread might be useful to read.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I also have been looking at the Gaia for some time but £600 is not a small amount to then discover little improvement!

Agreed. £600 is a lot of money and it will also depend on the percentage price of the rest of your system and what you're prepared to pay.
For me, I was fortunately able to afford them at that time.
It's impossible to measure whether there is £600 worth of improvement. It's way too subjective.
What I can say without question, is that I was very impressed with the benefit they brought to my system.

Sliced Bread

I can only go on my ears and yes, the difference was really noticeable. I was using Soundcare super spikes and I thought they were pretty decent, but I kept seeing Gaia III being mentioned in various posts on here, so took the plunge. Of course there will always be the snake oli naysayers with an alternative view and that's healthy, but I wouldn't change them. The mid range just came alive.
This thread might be useful to read.

Thanks Paul.

I think I’ll try and get a home demo

Dom

Agreed. £600 is a lot of money and it will also depend on the percentage price of the rest of your system and what you're prepared to pay.
For me, I was fortunately able to afford them at that time.
It's impossible to measure whether there is £600 worth of improvement. It's way too subjective.
What I can say without question, is that I was very impressed with the benefit they brought to my system.
For me the idea of spending that much on furniture is ludicrous! However the benefits should be heard to be believed. I gave some £200 stands to my brother, I think they are the best stands ever, this is similar to a cable debate do they enhance the sound or not.
I do...

Last edited:

hilroy48

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
I found huge overall improvements in room treatments. I bought a set of Vicoustic DC-2 Diffusers, and 2 sets of Synergistic Research Transducers. Those 2 items changed the soundstage and presentation the most. Putting the diffusers on the back wall behind me, brought the stage closer to me. The transducers, made the stage wider, and i am now hearing guitars etc far off to either side. they have made the speakers disappear.

Reactions: Tinman1952

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts