Monitor Audio???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So I went to listen to the Monitor Audio line again.....and HOLY rubbish is all I have to say. I just love how warm they sound compared to other lines I've listen to (Definitive, Energy, etc). I decided that I'm definetely getting a set....just don't know which ones to go with. I listened to the BR5, BR6 and RS6. The BR5's are more in my price range. Do you think it is worth it to step up the extra money? I do plan on getting a new amp to pair up to the MA in the next year or so.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Having heard the BR5s and RS6s, there is no comparision for me - the RS6s were in a different league (the BR5 was originally my top price, but managed to persuade the dealer to let me have his dem RS6s for only £90 more than the BR5s...

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="gpi"]I'm obviously not with it but presume HOLY rubbish means good.[/quote]

I think he wrote holy carp (sic) where the carp (sic) gets changed by the mary whitehouse filter...

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="fatboyslimfast"][quote user="gpi"]I'm obviously not with it but presume HOLY rubbish means good.[/quote]

I think he wrote holy carp (sic) where the carp (sic) gets changed by the mary whitehouse filter...[/quote]

Ahh... :0)

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Here we go again...!

Seriously, it depends on your ears and furniture. According to most people's experience, my combo of Naim/MA should be enough to strip paint, but I find them just right (on some tracks, even a little warm).

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
What amp and source are you going to be using?

My experience with M/A is that youre better off having a warmer amp and CDP due to the M/A's harsh top end (sometimes)

I find that my Arcam CDP, amp and power amp matched with my M/A RS6's suit my music tastes and living room down to a tee. After auditioning the RS6's against the RS8's, RS5's and BR5's and BR6's, the RS6's won outright.

As said before, they are in a different league to the Bronze range and to me, theyre better sounding than the RS8's.

A

Anonymous

Ive never heard MA sound 'warm' in the slightest. Must've been a mixture of electronics/room acoustics that produced that result.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
We should all agree that they are some's cup of tea, but not others. Mine are connected to a powerful amp and a fairly budget Denon cd player. Maybe I got lucky. Thaiman has said on this forum that my Denon has a warm sound - I listen to it and love the sound - I've no idea what warm is!!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I've had owned the Br2s, the rS6s and now the RS8s - i personally prefer the 8s but i have a big room to fill with sound - agree wth the equipment matching i have never thought that they sounded harsh but a lot of ppl do - just the difference between paper/silk tweeters and metal ones - each to their own. I've just changed my Kandy CDP for an MF X-ray and DAC and the speakers are absol singing now. If you can strectch to the RS6s you will def be rewarded

A

Anonymous

I've personally found the RS6's a little light on bass though this could definitely be my amp (Denon AVR4306), cabling (VDH Tea Track - biwire version of CS122 - bi-amped) or the room's acoustics - large joint lounge / dining / kitchen room with tiled floors etc. Treble, mid-range and the rest are spot on. I've taken to running them with my sub (Velodyne CHT-12R) now and it sounds much better. For the record, the RS6's blow the BR5's to dust - I auditioned both together in the store and the BR5's sounded awful alongside the RS6's. One thing I would note is that they get much better with higher volume so perhaps it is the nature of the amplification. I should probably have gone for the RS8's but who knows - difficult to get the best out of a system for tv/dvd as well as audio-only.

A

Anonymous

Definitely go for the RS6.
If you already have considered getting them.... just get them.

I auditioned the RS6 and finally (a blind decision) got the RS8. I'm very happy with them. I find them a little boomy when listening to badly recorded pop music, but they sound marvelously playing jazz, new age, and properly recorded stuff, as Sade (whose songs have always a very deep bass).

I choose them over B&W just because of that. They seemed to have crystal clear sound. I liked the B&W 683 a lot, but got the Rs8 expecting to obtain crystal clear highs and mid and deeper bass (as the one I liked in the 683).

I don't understand what people want to say when saying 'MA are bright speakers'. Just make no sense to me ... I agree that they may sound with more treble than others to some people. But when people say that, you always notice they spot it as a fault.

As another example, I don't undestand when some say 'this amp is very musical or like its musicality'... (I thought all the amps are manufactured for that purpose: play music through their output stages). Definitlely I don't understand 90% of the adjectives used to describe the sound in forums and mags.

I apologise for my poor English..

Cheers

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Damien Buckley"]I've personally found the RS6's a little light on bass though this could definitely be my amp (Denon AVR4306), cabling (VDH Tea Track - biwire version of CS122 - bi-amped) or the room's acoustics - large joint lounge / dining / kitchen room with tiled floors etc. Treble, mid-range and the rest are spot on. I've taken to running them with my sub (Velodyne CHT-12R) now and it sounds much better. For the record, the RS6's blow the BR5's to dust - I auditioned both together in the store and the BR5's sounded awful alongside the RS6's. One thing I would note is that they get much better with higher volume so perhaps it is the nature of the amplification. I should probably have gone for the RS8's but who knows - difficult to get the best out of a system for tv/dvd as well as audio-only.[/quote] I think you are right Damien, they would sound better with a designated stereo amp.

I have to agree. The RS6's are cracking speakers for the money, but they are reliant on room acoustics.

As regards system matching, this is a bit tricky to predict. I haven't experienced any nasties at the top end. I believe all components are going to demonstrate deficiencies if poorly matched (IMHO).

A lot retailers these days will exchange your speakers, if you find that there not to your liking.

A

Anonymous

They were being played with a McIntosh tube amp - they def sounded warm compared to the Def Techs (a little harsh on the top). I'm not sure what amp to go with yet......still looking around for a good match. I've considered a few: Adcom 5400, Niles SI2125, NADC272.....but still looking at other options.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Damien Buckley"]I've personally found the RS6's a little light on bass though this could definitely be my amp (Denon AVR4306), cabling (VDH Tea Track - biwire version of CS122 - bi-amped) or the room's acoustics - large joint lounge / dining / kitchen room with tiled floors etc. Treble, mid-range and the rest are spot on. I've taken to running them with my sub (Velodyne CHT-12R) now and it sounds much better. For the record, the RS6's blow the BR5's to dust - I auditioned both together in the store and the BR5's sounded awful alongside the RS6's. One thing I would note is that they get much better with higher volume so perhaps it is the nature of the amplification. I should probably have gone for the RS8's but who knows - difficult to get the best out of a system for tv/dvd as well as audio-only.[/quote]

I'm not going to worry that much about bass as I have a Snell Basis 300 sub. I'll set it at 35hz and lower (depending on what speakers I go with).

A

Anonymous

MA GR20s and my kit (below details) sounds lovely and warm............

A

Anonymous

[quote user="the112player"][quote user="Damien Buckley"]I've personally found the RS6's a little light on bass though this could definitely be my amp (Denon AVR4306), cabling (VDH Tea Track - biwire version of CS122 - bi-amped) or the room's acoustics - large joint lounge / dining / kitchen room with tiled floors etc. Treble, mid-range and the rest are spot on. I've taken to running them with my sub (Velodyne CHT-12R) now and it sounds much better. For the record, the RS6's blow the BR5's to dust - I auditioned both together in the store and the BR5's sounded awful alongside the RS6's. One thing I would note is that they get much better with higher volume so perhaps it is the nature of the amplification. I should probably have gone for the RS8's but who knows - difficult to get the best out of a system for tv/dvd as well as audio-only.[/quote]

I'm not going to worry that much about bass as I have a Snell Basis 300 sub. I'll set it at 35hz and lower (depending on what speakers I go with).[/quote]
I'd say that will sound the dogs danglies and given you've got the bottom end covered, the RS6's will definitely give you a crisper, faster presentation and better dynamics. WHF reviewed the RS8's recently and found them good except for a minor timing issue which I dont think you'll find on the 6's. If you're using it for movies too I can confirm the RSLCR and RSFX are also worth the $$$'s - works great as a system. Good luck with it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="smo"]
I don't understand what people want to say when saying 'MA are bright speakers'. Just make no sense to me ... I agree that they may sound with more treble than others to some people. But when people say that, you always notice they spot it as a fault.

[/quote]

I dont like MA's Bronze/Silver speakers but thats just personal preference and I have to admit you do get a lot of 'bang for your bucks' ie. nice cabs and lots of drive units at cost to outright sound quality. Their tweeters are not the most refined but its a balance thing too. For example, the smaller 1's, because of their lack of size and bass extension exaggerate that treble/brightness whereas the larger models seem to have a better balance for obvious reasons. Thats not unique to them though. One of my fav 'cheap' speakers, Rega's R3, is also better balanced than the smaller standmounted 1's. I agree with the afromentioned MF xrays as good partners if you choose a silver line MA.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have to reiterate to Damien though that bass on my RS6s is tight and big. I do believe you would find a major difference using a stereo amp (even though your receiver is an excellent one). The poster who said he has a sub to work with the RS6s, you really won't need one.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I full concour with Gerrardasnails

Get yourself a decent stereo integrated amp (NAD, Arcam, Rotel, Musical Fidelity etc...) and you immediatley notice a big difference with the M/A RS6's and youll fall in love with them straight away

Mine really sing with my Arcam Alpha 9 integrated and power amp and believe me, theyre not bass shy! I listen to quite a fair bit of bassy music (Underworld, Layo & Bushwacker, Fischerspooner, Air, Morcheeba, Hed Kandi, Daft Punk etc...) and they really shift some air with great control.

On the other hand i listen to quite a bit of Wolfmother, Tom Waits, System of a Down, Anthony & the Johnsons, Metallica, Iron Maiden and the RS6's still perform fantastically.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]I full concour with Gerrardasnails

Get yourself a decent stereo integrated amp (NAD, Arcam, Rotel, Musical Fidelity etc...) and you immediatley notice a big difference with the M/A RS6's and youll fall in love with them straight away [/quote]
I guessed as much though the stereo amp is no option I'm afraid - one system to play with and it has to do it all. I am however looking to upgrade my receiver next year so I'm considering a pre/power combo (maybe the AVP-A1HD/POA-A1HD) to give the rest of my system more justice.
I went for the 4306 as its been a long time since I had a decent HiFi/Home Theatre - my last amp was a Denon AVC-3020 and I have to say that for stereo purposes the AV amps Denon produced 12 years ago were IMO far superior. To many features and gimmicks when they should be concentrating on sound quality. I'm sure some will disagree.
Also, its tricky to determine which part of the system is lacking - I have a Cambridge Audio 740C CD player connected with VanDenHul 'Thunderline' interconnects and run my speakers bi-amped using VDH 'Tea Track' (Biwire CS122) cables so I would have thought it well fettled but there you go. I'm going on the assumption that the amp is a bit thin in the middle to low end. Any others with similar set-ups got an opinion?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts