Monitor Audio RS6 vs Mission m34i

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I have a pair of MA RS6 floorstanders and I don`t get used with their sound,I simply found it to aggressive to my ears.

Because of their brightness and a strange emphasis on mid frequencies when paired with my NAD C325 BEE I decided to replace them with another model.

My first choice will be Mission m34i which seems to have a resonable price and good reviews.

What do you think about this comparision?

How do you rate m34i vs. MA RS6?

A

Anonymous

Have you tried toeing in the RS6's and moving them away from the wall?

Also try removing the mesh cover from the tweeter and experiment with the bungs in the front and rear ports.

Its worth a try before you start spending money on new kit.

A

Anonymous

Strange as the NAD is supposed to be very warm amp and I don't find RS6s bright. What is your source?

I'd not recommend removing the mesh cover from the tweeter tho - i scratched my tweeter that way and there was no improvement in the sound from the removal.

A

Anonymous

I used them toed in and placed apart from the walls with the rear ports closed.In any other variant on placing them, the soundstage lost width and I found the bass to boomy.In the chosen position the bass was controled but didn`t get any deep.

I don`t know ,it is very possible to be something related to my room, but I remembered that ,when I listened at showroom, Mission had a much relaxed sound than MA and an improved soundstage with more low freqencies presence.Both of friends who came with me when I purchased the speakers found Mission more present and pleasent than MA on NAD 325 /NAD 542.

A

Anonymous

chainrock:
You're talking of replacing one of the most highly acclaimed £650 speakers with run of the mill £250 ones... I'd try Mezzo 6 if you are still unhappy with RS6.

That was the reason that I choosed MA over the Mission at that time.Maybe I am an "untrained" listener,not used with a neutral sound but in the same time I am confused because I listen to a good headphone rig (HD650/Meier Opera/Xonar D2X) so I could have an idea about how my music collection should sound like.

On the other side,MA were demolished by a dealer from my country,which is selling Sonus Faber,EPOS,ProAC and Spendor,as being a poor speakers ,with colored sound and good estethics.

A

Anonymous

chainrock:
Strange as the NAD is supposed to be very warm amp and I don't find RS6s bright. What is your source?

I'd not recommend removing the mesh cover from the tweeter tho - i scratched my tweeter that way and there was no improvement in the sound from the removal.

You have to be careful when you remove the mesh cover. I found it improved the treble.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
kerio:
I used them toed in and placed apart from the walls with the rear ports closed.In any other variant on placing them, the soundstage lost width and I found the bass to boomy.In the chosen position the bass was controled but didn`t get any deep.

I don`t know ,it is very possible to be something related to my room, but I remembered that ,when I listened at showroom, Mission had a much relaxed sound than MA and an improved soundstage with more low freqencies presence.Both of friends who came with me when I purchased the speakers found Mission more present and pleasent than MA on NAD 325 /NAD 542.

Something is wrong somewhere. The RS6 is a much better speaker - soundstage is one of it's best attributes.

A

Anonymous

I am convinced that something is wrong ,with my ears or with my room but I will take the chance with Mission.I have ordered m34i and I promise I will come back with details.

I hope I didn`t make a mistake.

A

Anonymous

Sorry for promising a comparison.

Based on numerous feedback favorably to Monitor Audio RS6 I canceled the order for Mission m34i.

Everybody argue that RS6 is in another quality class.

A

Anonymous

kerio:
Sorry for promising a comparison.

Based on numerous feedback favorably to Monitor Audio RS6 I canceled the order for Mission m34i.

Everybody argue that RS6 is in another quality class.

Always audition before you buy. If I had a £1 for everytime .......

A

Anonymous

Perhaps you might want to start off with ensuring that the speaker is not too close to the sidewalls or back walls? then perhaps thinking about the source you are using

A

Anonymous

kerio, what is your source and what cables do you use? I doubt your amp or speakers are the problem, unless they are defective.

A

Anonymous

hi fi newbie: then perhaps thinking about the source you are using

great minds think alike
emotion-1.gif

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Im with you. br range as a lot of personality I also don't get used to.but the missions won't be good either. Give a listen to the AE speakers .

T

the record spot

The only Missions you want to be putting up against those Monitor Audios are old school ones that'll give them MAs a run for their money. 752 or 753 floorstanders. Forget the current batch, they're Mission in name only and not really a patch on the mid to late 90s speakers - IMO to be clear!

If you insists on going to listen to cheaper floorstanders, Q Acoustics 1050i. Not much else under £500 apart from some of the KEF gear, but they don't have the scale of the Qs.

Messiah

the record spot:The only Missions you want to be putting up against those Monitor Audios are old school ones that'll give them MAs a run for their money. 752 or 753 floorstanders. Forget the current batch, they're Mission in name only and not really a patch on the mid to late 90s speakers - IMO to be clear!

Given the issues raised in the original post I would certainly agree with TRS and go for either the 752 or 753. The 753 are certainly the better of the two but both models can now be bought on ebay for very reasonable cost, sometimes just dead cheap!

T

the record spot

Yup, very true - got mine for £80, a bit less in fact. 752 Freedoms tend to go for a bit more, but HiFi World rates the originals highly in their regular classic kit pages. Another good used buy would be the Q35i - apparently a great speaker for imaging thanks to the early uni-Q driver it had. Another steal!

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi:

I have MA RS6 connected to CA 640 V2 gears, and cables are QED all over. I have never ever experienced treble harshness or bright, etc., whatever the terms are. Having said that, the bass is very deep and the soundstage is awesome, and when I sit in the sweetspot the sound never comes from the speaker at all, they are in the centre, like hanging in the air, something like that.

My speakers are 1 feet away from back wall and rear port bunged, and they are far, far away from the side walls becoz of my room position, and both speakers are 6 feet apart.

Now, I think there is nothing wrong with your amp and cd players, as well as your room. My fear are your cables. Before taking the plunge and changing the speakers, why not try QED cables throughout or Chord, why not ?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your advices.

Based on your feedback and the multiple positive reviews I already decided to keep RS6 and tweak with the cables.

You have perfectly right,it makes sense to replace an RS6 with a Neat or Sonus Faber and not to step back to an inferior class speakers.

A

Anonymous

I am back with fresh opinions.

I went to a Bucharest showroom for auditioning some receivers.My initial options were Marantz SR 7002 and Yamaha RX-V1900.The reason was that I purchased a pair of MA B2 and
BCen for completing a Home Cinema system and I thought that these two receivers would have been good enough for decent stereo use.In the end I compared only RX-V1900 and RX-V663 (Pure Direct mode using a pair of Focal Chorus 826V floorstanders) because Marantz was not available for testing in the showroom.

The results were disappointing: RX-V663 sounded terrible in comparison to NAD C325, RX-V1900 being close to this but still inferior.I also used my HD650 headphones but the results were the same.

At seller suggestion,we switched to a Primare I21 amp and the sound changed dramatically.Much better control,transparency,soundtage,overall a better amp compared to NAD.The things became intersting.

The next step was to replace the Focal with a Dynaudio Audience 42 and,again,there was an improvement because Dynaudio sounded more neutral to my ears.

The result was that I found that RS6 deserve a better amp than C325.I don`t know if Primare is the best choice,personally I liked it a lot, but I am thinking also to other good options.Let`s say CA 840A, Arcam Diva A80,Naim Nait 5i or Roksan Kandy mkIII.

Another thing that I learned yesterday is that receivers are not meant for stereo.Could sound good but not very good.And this at very high costs...

Because I don`t want to sell the Bronze,I will set a home cinema based on a decent cheap receiver and I will use its pre outs to feed my future stereo amp for powering the fronts when using Home Cinema.

A

Anonymous

I agree,maybe consider upgrading the amp to NAD C352/C355 or CA 840 or Marantz PM 7001 KI or Creek Evo

T

the record spot

kerio:
Hello everybody,

I have a pair of MA RS6 floorstanders and I don`t get used with their sound,I simply found it to aggressive to my ears.

Because of their brightness and a strange emphasis on mid frequencies when paired with my NAD C325 BEE I decided to replace them with another model.

My first choice will be Mission m34i which seems to have a resonable price and good reviews.

What do you think about this comparision?

How do you rate m34i vs. MA RS6?

I'd leave Mission speakers alone until they introduce their next range. Why? Peter Comeau has left World Designs and taken up the helm at IAG, Mission's parent group. Highly respected speaker designer, previously with Mission and I think responsible for their Elegante range from a few years back. He's no no mug at the game and comes up with some superb articles and designs for another title in the UK.

I'd suggest, if you really dislike the RS6 / NAD partnership, definitely shortlist the Q Acoustics 1050i - speaker of the year in another mag, and a really excellent design. Well worth checking out. There's a review of them on the WHF review section too. Approx £350, but widely available for £300 or less, sometimes as low as £250. Don't let all the deals fool you, this is a great speaker for the money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts