MF M1DAC /M1 CDT / Arcam drDock

robbo400

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I ordered the Musical Fidelity M1DAC and M1CDT at the weekend together with an Arcam drDock (which I already own and use on my other system). Just looking at the spec on line, I fear I may have screwed up so quick replies would be appreciated as I still have time to change the order.

I had incorrectly assumed that the M1DAC would have 2 SP/DIF inputs - I was intending using one each for the CDT and iPod dock. In fact, it only has one coaxial imput but it does also have USB, AES Balanced and Optical inputs. Any ideas? The dock only has SP/DIF output so it's a question of finding a solution for the CDT.

I've been told that SPDIF is the best input for CD sound quality and much superior to Optical and that AES balanced is similar to SP/DIF. But AES balanced interconnects seem incredibly expensive (Chord do only one and it is £350 - as much as I paid for the DAC itself!). It would therefore be cheaper to upgrade to the M1 SDAC as I love the MF sound and construction/cosmetic appeal but the SDAC is a lot more money and to my ears the sound quality difference was not obvious. Surely there must be a sensible way around this for a solution with the M1 DAC, M1 CDT and Arcam dock?

Thanks

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
First of all, why not try with the optical and then try with the SPDIF and see whether you can hear a difference. When I read around opinions were mixed, but there seemed to be a consensus that coax was slightly preferable, maybe. Personally, I think optical sounds a little better, but I use a coaxial connection. I don't think it is anything to get worked up about.

If you still have to use a coax connection for the CD transport, you could consider another digital dock that has an optical output.

Another alternative is to use a coax to optical converter on the signal coming from the dock.

AFAIK, the AES standard is used more in professional applications, so I'm hoping you should be able to pick up a cheaper, high quality cable from a professional music store. The Mogami Gold AES/EBU interconnect seems to pop up a lot.

robbo400

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Interestingly, the very helpful engineer at Musical Fidelity pretty much echoed your comments:

"optical does a perfect job up to 100kHz or so with the dock you will only be using it at 48k anyway - well within it's spec! It also has the inherent advantage of GALVANIC ISOLATION so please use optical with this OR your CD transport without fear!"

I'll try Optical first as you suggest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts