Matching AMP for Dynaudio DM 2/7

danny86

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I wish to purchase the Dynaudio DM 2/7 and am looking or a recommendation on a matching amp.

Currently it is either the Marantz PM6004 or the Rotel RA-10, both similarly priced.

Can anybody please advise ?

Thanks,

Dan

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have read the Audiolab 8000A is a good match for Dyns, thay are about £170 on fleabay. Other brands to look at would be Musical Fid., Creek, Roksan Kandy and Arcam. Whereabouts in the uK are you?

lilneige

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Speakers from Dynaudio demand a lot of power from the amp, since majority of their speakers have sensitivity around 85 db and 4 ohm of impendance.

I demoed NAD C375BEE and Musical Fidelity M3i on my Focus 110s (which has pretty much identical sensitivity and impendance as DM 2/7), both amp work well with Dyns. I also heard Naim Nait 5i paired well with X16. Obviously, those three amps are out of your budget.

Will you consider DM 2/6?

It is a good speaker as well. I like it very much actually, And I think its 6 ohm of impendance will make it easier to push.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
hi Danny,

be very careful with any comments/recommendations from people who may not have actually heard the speakers you are referring to. I pretty much fast forward to the next comment when i come across the line "i haven't actually heard this but.....". I am saying this because i have heard a lot of comments regarding these speakers being hard to drive. I am not an expert (fast forward now if you like) but i have these speakers and have heard them with 50W amps and they have never seemed to have been driven below par. Infact they sounded amazing...so I bought them, and i was testing with various 50W amps, one of them being a 15 year old sherwood amp which by todays standards probably rated more like 25W. Dynaudio themselves (check out their wesite) state that the for their excite range which is the model above the DM's, that "The impedance is constant and linear over the entire frequency range, thus providing an easy load to any amplifier". Well, you may say, why am I talking about a different model (you may even be tempted to fast forward at this point again). Well, the answer is that they state very similar wording for the DM range..." The linear impedance and high power handling of the DM 2/7 make system integration easy". This makes me think that this crossover thingy is either identical, or very close to, between these 2 models. And indeed, other respected members on this and other forums have previously stated that dynaudio 4 ohm speakers are not hard to drive, and have been designed to be driven easily.

From experience, I can say that these speakers sound brilliant. They take at least 50-200 hours to start really relaxing and breathing easy, and problems i had originally with these speakers "booming" from being faily close (25cm) from the rear/corner wall, recently seemed to have disappeared (say about after 500 hours listening...the last 300 with a better than previous amp). I had to use the bungs occasionally at the start to prevent booming, and they only seemed to change the sound by a gnatts whisker, and they still sounded brilliant. Now the bungs are constantly out. If you can place your speakers further than 30-40cm from the rear walls, I would say then this would be enough to reduce the initial booming .

The speakers as you prob know, sound warm, punchy, and the tweeters are superb, and also improve with warming in. (They have been a huge upgrade from my previous MS 902 and I would say they produce true HiFi qualiy and sound....I think you will be V happy if you bought).

As for amp suggestions....I have them paired with a 50W rega brio-r and they sound beautiful. Never sound underpowerd to me....they sound very musical with this amp. I am suggesting this amp, because although I know it is possibly £150 above your budget, I think the money will be worth spending if you intend to live with the sysytem for a good period of time. Why upgrade in a few years time, when you can upgrade for a small price now?!

*cough cough* I have not heard the rotel amp....I tried quite hard to find one, and the 1520 but tested a few others. The arcam FMJ 19, the audiolab 8200a, the yamaha s500, the marantz 6004, and to me it's clsoest rival being the NAD 326bbe. The Rega really was on a different level to the NAD, and a couple of levels above the yam and the marantz. The audiolab had more power and the sounstage was huge! but to me sounded too flat and clinical. The rega sounded lifelike, and organic in comparison.

If you are looking at spending £350, i would seriosuly consider looking at the rega and seeing if you think it would be worth spending the £150 extra for.

I would also recommend auditioning as many speakers as you can too. I only listened to the dyns and the MA RX2 (8ohm), and I preferred the Dyns.

This post is probably far too long and unnecessary, but I enjoyed writing it. :type: Good luck! :wave:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I agree with most of what "radiorog" said about DM range, and recomended amps for the Dyns 2/7.

I have a pair of Excite X12 and actualy they are being diven by a Rega Brio R, but before of the Brio R they were driven by a Oldy NAD 3020i with only 30-35wpc.

Yes the DM range is low sensibility as the Excite is, and yes they are at 4 Omhs, and yes you will be able to drive them with a 50w amp, but never at their full potencial, my Brio R runs out of gas first that the Dyns do...

And that's where opinion differ !!! :?

I was not after disco levels, I wanted: detail, claraty, tranparancy, neutral sounding speakers, and I have exacly that, with a lovely and silky mid range, Dyns IMO reproduce voices (especialy female) and unplugged instruments like no other.

If you are after disco level a 50w amp and DM or Excite range will not work for you, it is always a matter of prioraties.

Another issue is that DM and Excite range have big ports, and they really beneficiate with a litle space around, more then 25 cm from back wall, mines are at 40cm...

Now, regarding matching amps for the Dyns or DM range, FROM ON LINE READING ;) Naim pair well with Dyns, but I didn't like it, too analitycal and I demo my Dyns with a pre/power Naim combo, Naim Nait 5i mkI and mkII.

I like very much how my combo souns, it's all I can say!

The best piece of advice I can give you is, go out and try for your self!

It is so much fun to demo equipment, you can learn so much from it.

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts