Marantz SR7010 Settings

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi...Last night I experimented with the Marantz 7010’s Audyssey settings. I’m running a 5.1 system.

Options are: Off; L/R Bypass; Flat and Reference.

Also tried different crossovers, not much difference but maybe slightly more clarity at 80Hz than 60Hz. In all honesty, I couldn’t hear any massive difference between Audyssey modes, so left it on Reference with an 80Hz crossover.

I know every room and speaker set up is different, but Just wondering what experience others have and what settings are used.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
My settings are not permanent. And I keep changing them from time to time. But most of the time, below will be my settings for movie watching :

Audyssey Eq - flat ( flat is for smaller rooms where the speakers are closer to the listening position. And reference is for larger rooms. since my room is only 11x17 ft, I find the flat setting to sound more punchy )

Audyssey dynamic volume - off. Sometimes I switch it on for late night movie watching when rest of the family are sleep. This actually spoils the audio. A classic example is try watching spectral with this setting on & off. In on mode, even the dialogue level is heavily reduced to preserve headroom for dynamics. So I keep this off 99% of the time.

Audyssey dynamic eq - off

Cross over is 60 for the fronts. 80 for in ceiling and rear speakers.

Bass management is LFE+Main. With LFE cross over at 80hz.

My room is 11x17ft open plan, which opens into the dining. The TV is mounted on the longer wall, so the front speakers fire down the shorter length of the room.

4 in ceiling speakers, two above the front floor standers, two above the rear speakers.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I interchanged dynamic volume with dynamic eq in the above. Please read corrected in reverse. Both I keep both off anyways. Dynamic eq is on only for late night movie watching

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi newlash09

Thanks for your reply, my room is similar size to yours so I’ve changed to Flat mode and dropped the fronts and centre to 60 Hz crossover.

I’ll see how I get on...

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I settled on the Flat Audyssey mode with all speakers at 80Hz crossover. Still not 100% sure the differences are that noticeable, but as I tend to listen to movies at a fairly high volume, it seems to give a little more clarity and I’m not concerned about damaging my main speakers.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
ROB2009 said:
Hi

I settled on the Flat Audyssey mode with all speakers at 80Hz crossover. Still not 100% sure the differences are that noticeable, but as I tend to listen to movies at a fairly high volume, it seems to give a little more clarity and I’m not concerned about damaging my main speakers.

For sharing your experience. I would agree that there is not much of discernible difference when playing movies in either modes. But I found a huge difference when playing music. As compared to the reference setting, the flat setting sounded more dynamic, live and punchy for music :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a 7010 in my movie room upstairs, running a 7.2.4 setup using a cheap Onkyo M-5010 power amp to drive the rear Atmos overheads. I don't use the setup for audiophile music listening, just TV and movies. At some point I'm going to experiment with swapping the M-5010 to driving the FL and FR and let the receiver run the overheads, or add an Emotiva 3-channel power amp to drive the front 3, but not any time soon.

I found running the Audessey setup a bit tiring, but worth it, as it got the sound tone about right. Try running Atomic Blonde as a good workout for a movie soundtrack as there's plenty of 80s pop music used as backing music. I then went in manually and upped the surround channel volumes about 3 or 4 dB each, mainly because I like to hear them working, as it were, perhaps a little more than they should for true-to-movie mixing.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
^ Superb. I would do the same in your shoes. Would do myself if / when funds recover enough to buy a decent "proper stereo" again, were it not for having built-in in-walls at TV screen height already..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts