YPAO Thoughts?

ClassAct

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Ran YPAO single point measurement calibration for the first time last weekend with mixed results. I let my RX-A1030 warm up before running it through my MT60D package. As expected it set the speakers to large but also surprisingly it set the crossover to 60hz. I then changed this manually to 80hz amd set the speakers to small with only a small noticeable improvement. I'm also playing around with YPAO flat and natural settings on the PEQ as to which sounds best. The through setting I've not tried yet.

When switching back and forth from Straight to Pure Direct mode, Pure Direct seemed a lot more quiet and closed in where before the calibration the Pure mode sounded open and airy.

I've also taken the time to play around with the various DSP Modes with "Movie Standard" and "Movie Drama" being my favourites up to now. "Sci Fi" is pretty decent as it seems to improve the bass but can make the upper mids and treble sound lean and tinny with certain material. Dialogue lift is quite useful when I've been watching Breaking Bad on blu ray set a level 2 or 3 but I've read this can cause the sound to lose cohesion.

Will be running the multi point measurement this evening to see if there's a difference in performance after sufficient warm up. I wanted to canvass other forum members opinions about what they've found worked best for them with regards to calibration and the various processing modes on Yamaha receivers.

Many thanks

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I am afraid to say YPAO does little for me. I only have single point (older amp) but find it weak and limp after setup. It sets LARGE & 40/60hz which I change to SMALL & 80hz. I usually find the least processing the better with the best source (bluray Master HD.in 5.1/7.1).

I use manual settings (minimal adjustments) for Sky DD or less. I maybe in a minority here but its possible my room/setup is a bit unusual or my ears are too worn.

Pure Direct does not effect volume much but others have found this on other amps I think. I still experiment with crossover etc., but it depends on music or cinema for me. Hopefully others will contribute their experiences too.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I used to like the Adventure setting, which worked very well for action movies, expanding the soundfield and making it sound more like a cinema. Many of the parameters were variable, so you could make the effect as subtle or blatant as you liked.

There were a couple of music ones I used to use as one reminded me of the NEC in Birmingham - not a great venue, but the setting just sounded more like a live gig there.

Bass_line

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the RX-A3010

I dont use any of the EQ settings, just set every speaker to 0db at 80hz with Through

If you value bass set left and right to large and use the extra bass setting, I also found setting the sub phase to reverse gives a better punch.

ClassAct

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I've ran the multi point calibration test yersterday and I have to say it really has killed the bass the PV1D went into standby mode and when it did wake up it was lacklustre. I am going to try setting it to through and with te subwoofer phase to reverse but keeping the 80hz crossover. Listening to music with the natural YPAO setting and subwoofer phase set to reverse helped bring it back to life a bit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts