Marantz SA-7S1 vs SA-10 differences? vs similar like Denon DCD-A110

michaelgordonharper

May 26, 2022
Visit site
Marantz SA-7S1 vs SA-10 differences? vs similar like Denon DCD-A110

Morning all,
Whats the difference between these units in Sound mainly. Anyone demoed or owned any of the above. Any feedback appreciated.
Best regards Michael

michaelgordonharper

May 26, 2022
Visit site
Appreciate the advice, reason i am asking is because the older model sells for under £2k used and the newer model is about three times the price new. I also demoed the SA 10 and Denon A110 cd players but never the SA 7S1. So its good to get other people feedback

I don’t think you can go wrong with any reference Marantz disc player. I’ve had mine a while and wouldn’t swap it for anything else. Bought new for less than the SA7 sells for used. That SA7 has a distinct look, which I’m a bit unsure of. Build quality will be second to none.

Reactions: Al ears
Appreciate the advice, reason i am asking is because the older model sells for under £2k used and the newer model is about three times the price new. I also demoed the SA 10 and Denon A110 cd players but never the SA 7S1. So its good to get other people feedback
Both the SA7 and the 10 were around £5000 when first released if I recall correctly, although.pretty good I doubt the Denon would have the same build quality but I have never seen one so cannot confirm that.

Reactions: michaelgordonharper
No problem Al.
yes, I have the Marantz SA14S1SE (great name eh?) and although it is not the top end reference sacd, it has had the Ken Ishiwata magic sprinkled on it (special edition) and sounds absolutely superb.
it has an onboard dac that is accessible through usb, coax and optical so it’s a versatile piece of equipment. Worth every penny. 👍😊
Hear, hear. If I didn't have my Oppo I would be buying something identical or very similar.

michaelgordonharper

May 26, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for your feedback :) I have demoed both the SA 10 and Denon DCD A110, and didn't find one is better than the other, its just there sound signature is different I would say / suggest. The Marantz is certainly not worth twice the price

Reactions: nopiano
Thanks for your feedback :) I have demoed both the SA 10 and Denon DCD A110, and didn't find one is better than the other, its just there sound signature is different I would say / suggest. The Marantz is certainly not worth twice the price
Thanks for your observations, well worth hearing other people's opinions on items such as these.
Note that for about the same price others might aim for the Marantz SACD-30N because it offers streaming capabilities and a whole lot more, that said sound quality is everything.
However, these days, others may require more functionality.
The Marantz reference series will still mean a great deal to many even considering their age but times move on.

Last edited:

michaelgordonharper

May 26, 2022
Visit site
Very true , the SA 10 certainly has more connections to it and also a very good headphone amp from all accounts. Its just a shame its alot more expensive than Denon. I have made a few inquires about purchasing a Denon DCD A110 and many retailers seem to be willing to sell at £2,5k without negations.

Very true , the SA 10 certainly has more connections to it and also a very good headphone amp from all accounts. Its just a shame its alot more expensive than Denon. I have made a few inquires about purchasing a Denon DCD A110 and many retailers seem to be willing to sell at £2,5k without negations.
there may be a reason for that, however at the moment if you can get one for that price it could be a good deal....

They are completely different designs. I recall the Denon is a traditional class AB with an unusual gain system, iirc to improve SN ratio or distortion. Conversely, the Marantz is a bridged Class D, so their topology is poles apart.

Indiscrete to recommend the HifiNews reports on both, which you find online, but the Denon found particular favour with Andrew Everard, who used to write on here. I’m a Marantz fan, but I’m not convinced either that the Marantz is worth twice as much. In fact I’m sure it isn’t!

They are completely different designs. I recall the Denon is a traditional class AB with an unusual gain system, iirc to improve SN ratio or distortion. Conversely, the Marantz is a bridged Class D, so their topology is poles apart.

Indiscrete to recommend the HifiNews reports on both, which you find online, but the Denon found particular favour with Andrew Everard, who used to write on here. I’m a Marantz fan, but I’m not convinced either that the Marantz is worth twice as much. In fact I’m sure it isn’t!
?
are we talking CD players here?

?
are we talking CD players here?
I wasn’t. I mean the amps. Though this review covered both. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

I wasn’t. I mean the amps. Though this review covered both. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.
pretty sure he was talking about SACD players, the clue is in the thread title, but useful info. none the less.

pretty sure he was talking about SACD players, the clue is in the thread title, but useful info. none the less.
Apologies, going senile! Much the same probably applies to the players mind you, as Denon are using more traditional designs, finessed, whereas Marantz are taking a different approach. (My SA14 is pretty traditional. If I were buying now I’d look at the SA30n)

Apologies, going senile! Much the same probably applies to the players mind you, as Denon are using more traditional designs, finessed, whereas Marantz are taking a different approach. (My SA14 is pretty traditional. If I were buying now I’d look at the SA30n)
Senile? Well it is a Sunday...., my similar affliction usually occurs on a Monday. :)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts