marantz pm8005 upgrade to abrahamsen 2up

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Are you using balanced XLR or unbalanced RCA interconnects?

The input sensitivity is 600mV on RCA and 300mV on XLR. The Marantz PM8005 is 200mV.

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
ok just find out they are 4 ohms speakers but got confused as the shop says were i got them from says they are 8ohms but go to 4 ohms when adding more speakers ?

You have 140 watt pr channel in 4 ohm no need to upgrade to only 250 watt unless it's in 8 ohm and it has better sound

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
ok just find out they are 4 ohms speakers but got confused as the shop says were i got them from says they are 8ohms but go to 4 ohms when adding more speakers ?

You have 140 watt pr channel in 4 ohm no need to upgrade to only 250 watt unless it's in 8 ohm and it has better sound
i was not going to upgrade to 2 power amps or one some how i got carried down the river with all this comments lol it might be something i will do in the futrure but not now i love what i got

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

i was not going to upgrade to 2 power amps or one some how i got carried down the river with all this comments lol it might be something i will do in the futrure but not now i love what i got

Using any dac?

Is you cdplayer a sacd player?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Using any dac?

only the on borad dac inside the cd player and its only a normal cd player not a sacd player

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Using any dac?

only the on borad dac inside the cd player and its only a normal cd player not a sacd player

Why not a sacd?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Using any dac?

Why not a sacd?
I still have my Marantz sacd player but I only brought 1 sacd cd for it I also found that if your into rock / metal there is not much of a choice in sacd CDs to buy it's like the blacksabbath albums they are on sacd cd but very expensive to buy like £400 for 1 album and to be honest there is not much difference in sacd CDs and normal CDs but still kept my marantz pm8005 + sacd 8005 + arcam irdac because I still think the pm8005 is good so it's back up just in case the abrahamsen goes faulty as you never know and I can not live without any music

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I am not really seeing a problem here....*unknw*

Play a few typical CDs, what is the volume control setting when they are playing at your 'loudest usual' level and what are the settings for 'normal' listening?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
radiorog said:
Im not sure.its not what I am led to believe from other posts on this forum. Can anyone validate which would be louder please?

?

It's an easy question 4 ohm is louder then 8 ohm if sensitivity is the same as well as the amp
Ok, cheers.learn something new every day. I should prob in more effort to learn the basics!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
radiorog said:
gasolin said:
radiorog said:
Im not sure.its not what I am led to believe from other posts on this forum. Can anyone validate which would be louder please?

?

It's an easy question 4 ohm is louder then 8 ohm if sensitivity is the same as well as the amp
Ok, cheers.learn something new every day. I should prob in more effort to learn the basics!
As the Ohms drop, it sucks more power out of the amp....which is why it needs a robust power supply in order to cope with the extra demand (and sounds louder).

Eg. My amp is only 30W into 8 Ohms, but 60W into 4 Ohms (and nearly 120W into 2 Ohms)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
radiorog said:
gasolin said:
radiorog said:

As the Ohms drop, it sucks more power out of the amp....which is why it needs a robust power supply in order to cope with the extra demand (and sounds louder).

Eg. My amp is only 30W into 8 Ohms, but 60W into 4 Ohms (and nearly 120W into 2 Ohms)
yes well I learned something myself today about my speakers I thought they were 8 ohm speakers but they are 4 ohms ones

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
So what I am trying to say about CDs is that say 1 cd is pink floyd the wall album I would have to put the volume upto 50 to get the involvement out of this album .

cd . 2 manowar fighting the world volume 45 to get the involvement

now is this the loudness war thing as one cd is more compressed then the other so you get a loudness difference between the 2 CDs

or I am bugged and losing my hearing a bit

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Of course some cd's are going to be louder than others. My previous query was more surprise that you can play your amp at nearly max volume (you stated playing at 55 when the amps maximum is 60) yet not get room filling sound.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
Of course some cd's are going to be louder than others. My previous query was more surprise that you can play your amp at nearly max volume (you stated playing at 55 when the amps maximum is 60) yet not get room filling sound.
it's funny how the abrahamsen uses its volume from 0 - 25 you get nothing no sound on 30 it's low but you can hear the music then 40 is about 9 o'clock then 45 is 10 o'clock , 50 is 11 o'clock but that 50 turns into 45 on CDs that are louder but 50 on a cd that not so loud and yes the max volume is 60 but my normal volume is 45 -47 this fills the room with music if this makes any sense

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
stevee1966 said:
it's funny how the abrahamsen uses its volume from 0 - 25 you get nothing no sound on 30 it's low but you can hear the music then 40 is about 9 o'clock then 45 is 10 o'clock , 50 is 11 o'clock but that 50 turns into 45 on CDs that are louder but 50 on a cd that not so loud and yes the max volume is 60 but my normal volume is 45 -47 this fills the room with music if this makes any sense

It's a logarithmic volume scaling from 0-60dB. It has different input sensitivity and attenuation than the PM8005. The Marantz will go louder earlier on the volume scale.

Linear vs. Audio
Potentiometers, or "pots" to electronics enthusiasts, are differentiated by how quickly their resistance changes. In linear pots, the amount of resistance changes in a direct pattern. If you turn or slide it halfway, its resistance will be halfway between its minimum and maximum settings. That's ideal for controlling lights or a fan, but not for audio controls. Volume controls have to cater to the human ear, which isn't linear. Instead, logarithmic pots increase their resistance on a curve. At the halfway point volume will still be moderate, but it will increase sharply as you keep turning up the volume. This corresponds to how the human ear hears.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
stevee1966 said:

It's a logarithmic volume scaling from 0-60dB. It has different input sensitivity and attenuation than the PM8005. The Marantz will go louder earlier on the volume scale.

Linear vs. Audio

Potentiometers, or "pots" to electronics enthusiasts, are differentiated by how quickly their resistance changes. In linear pots, the amount of resistance changes in a direct pattern. If you turn or slide it halfway, its resistance will be halfway between its minimum and maximum settings. That's ideal for controlling lights or a fan, but not for audio controls. Volume controls have to cater to the human ear, which isn't linear. Instead, logarithmic pots increase their resistance on a curve. At the halfway point volume will still be moderate, but it will increase sharply as you keep turning up the volume. This corresponds to how the human ear hears.
ok mate thanks for that i did not understand myself were you get no volume from 0 - 25 but then after that you start getting volume where the marantz has volume early on

Blacksabbath25 said:
Oie said:
I find interesting how loud you turn up the volume.

I normally "cannot" go louder than 35.
so do you get volume from 0 then ? and what ohms are your speakers ? .. ok just looked 8 ohms
Dont get confused between impedance (in Ohms), which is a type of electrical resistance, and the speaker's efficiency at converting the input power into sound, which is expressed in dB (for 1 watt input). A 85dB speaker, typically a small 'bookshelf' type, will be much quieter than anything with a senstivity over 90dB.

I'd respectfully suggest a bit of reading up on these basics would be helpful. It goes a long way to explaining why watts per se are not so important.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts