marantz pm8005 upgrade to abrahamsen 2up

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gasolin

iceman16 said:
This thread has gone far.. but what the OP really needs(enjoy) and wants(other forumers suggest) will never end! In less than a month or two B.S claimed he really enjoy the Marantz..I mean.. why not save and save and get the right amp for you! Been there..After Abrahemsen whats next? mono block(s) cause your not happy with the mid or highs? Well carry on mate till your bank acct is empty

He should get a wife then he would stop this wanting/buying new hifi stuff *ROFL*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
iceman16 said:
This thread has gone far.. but what the OP really needs(enjoy) and wants(other forumers suggest) will never end! In less than a month or two B.S claimed he really enjoy the Marantz..I mean.. why not save and save and get the right amp for you! Been there..After Abrahemsen whats next? mono block(s) cause your not happy with the mid or highs? Well carry on mate till your bank acct is empty

He should get a wife then he would stop this wanting/buying new hifi stuff *ROFL*
I have got a wife thank you you keep on playing with you cables

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
iceman16 said:

I have got a wife thank you you keep on playing with you cables

*music2*

gasolin

amp, bi amping, speakers ...........

You do get to know a new amp,speakers what so ever after some time and often long after 14 days

I liked my marantz pm6005 but it took me alot more then 14 days to realise it had a bit bright and thin sound and wanted a more neutral sound and fullbodied sound from my amp.

You can listen to an amp or speakers you want,like to buy, but you can't with the same amp/speakers and room as you have, so often you have to buy this amp,speakers your interested in and try it in your own room with the music you like, sometimes it just takes more then 14 days to know if it's the right combination

Anything changed since theres gone more then 14 days since your new amp

( Woow 1 moth between my latest and the first of my newest reply *dance4* )

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
amp, bi amping, speakers ...........

You do get to know a new amp,speakers what so ever after some time and often long after 14 days

I liked my marantz pm6005 but it took me alot more then 14 days to realise it had a bit bright and thin sound and wanted a more neutral sound and fullbodied sound from my amp.

You can listen to an amp or speakers you want,like to buy, but you can't with the same amp/speakers and room as you have, so often you have to buy this amp,speakers your interested in and try it in your own room with the music you like, sometimes it just takes more then 14 days to know if it's the right combination

Anything changed since theres gone more then 14 days since your new amp

( Woow 1 moth between my latest and the first of my newest reply *dance4* )
still happy with the abrahamsen it's a good amp not sure whether to bi amp or not but if I did I would have to buy the abrahamsen power amp to do this which is £899 to buy but the abrahamsen 2up will go loud but funny how the volume works as room filling sound starts to happen around 45 on wards which the marantz started earlier then that but the abrahamsen will go upto 60 on the volume which is maximum volume on this amplifier but never gone that far but have taken it to 55 on the volume but that was with a cd that's not that loud but find this with some older CDs so whether a power amp will start of the room filling sound earlier or not I do not no more like top end volume which would be a wast of money as the abrahamsen 2up is loud on its own . But with the abrahamsen CD player I do have a little issue with it it's randomly locking me out of the functions of the CD player nothing responds I have to reset the CD player by turning it of and back on again then it's ok again not sure way it's doing this but like I say it's random issue it's happened about 8 times now so I may have to send it back because of this which is a pain but a good CD player apart from this issue . I did do a review on the abrahamsen 2up anyway way back but yes it's stop the Hifi bug I am now happy and last

gasolin

so you alos bought the cdplayer *shok*

I still have my Marantz CD5005, using it now as a transporter and can't imagine buying a better one

I did also upgrade my amp to a slightly bigger one,now bass is bigger, deeper *dance4* and in some strange way i feel the sound is cleaner not brighter but less noisy with a top so soft non fattigue it's almost to much *mosking*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:

I still have my Marantz CD5005, using it now as a transporter and can't imagine buying a better one

I did also upgrade my amp to a slightly bigger one,now bass is bigger, deeper *dance4* and in some strange way i feel the sound is cleaner not brighter but less noisy with a top so soft non fattigue it's almost to much *mosking*
glad your happy with your new amp so your not changing your speakers now then ?

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:

glad your happy with your new amp so your not changing your speakers now then ?

No change in speakers, i tried som different speakers, a bit to intrusive top and not enough bas (level, they where deep enough down to 50hz +/- 3db and loud enough for my taste).

Not shure what would be a better speaker for me, i just don't want to pay 800-900£ a pair, atm i don't need new speakers and certainly not brighter speakers or speaker with less bass.

Nad C326BEE: More bass, better control,BBE clamp,low distortion circuit, preout both for amp and 2 subwoofers,more full bodied sound without sounding bright, lots of power for loud music with low distortion (89db sensitivity)

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
the abrahamsen will go up to 60 on the volume which is maximum volume on this amplifier but never gone that far but have taken it to 55 on the volume 

60 is maximum and you've taken it to 55. I have to say i've never owned an amp where i can get anywhere near maximum volume without either rendering myself deaf, or causing possible damage to the speakers.

Surely it's too loud at that level, or is the amp quiet, as you say you'd like to connect a power amp to give you room filling sound.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
the abrahamsen will go up to 60 on the volume which is maximum volume on this amplifier but never gone that far but have taken it to 55 on the volume

60 is maximum and you've taken it to 55. I have to say i've never owned an amp where i can get anywhere near maximum volume without either rendering myself deaf, or causing possible damage to the speakers.

Surely it's too loud at that level, or is the amp quiet, as you say you'd like to connect a power amp to give you room filling sound.
no I have not got a power amp just the abrahamsen 2up amp on its own . I was saying you can take the volume up to max without any distortion which the maximum volume is 60 but I have had it to 55 on a classic cd with quite passages but the volume is not the same volume as the marantz pm8005 is you start to get a 10 o'clock volume on the abrahamsen around 45 so I normally have it around 45-50 to fill the room with sound

gasolin

stevee1966 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Try playing toto past to the present from 1977-1990 (released 1990) or Elton john a single man from 1978 both non remastered, just the original cd, they are really low recorded so to play them loud the voulme has to be above normal (11'0 clock), the newest record from metallica Death Magnetic is recored much louder then the 2 first i mentioned, it will always sound loud even with the volume at 9' o clocl or let sayd round 20 out of 60.

Problems with digital preamps is that some only goes up to 60 and no more, a traditionel volume *** goes to 11'o clock and 12'o clock, if that doesn't make the music loud you can get it up to 1 or 2' o clock, on some digital preamps with a small amp let's say under 100 watt in 8 ohm, some recordings may not even be loud at 50 out of 60 thats like turn table vs cdpalyer with it's often 2 volt output (much higher then a turn table)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
stevee1966 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Try playing toto past to the present from 1977-1990 (released 1990) or Elton john a single man from 1978 both non remastered, just the original cd, they are really low recorded so to play them loud the voulme has to be above normal (11'0 clock), the newest record from metallica Death Magnetic is recored much louder then the 2 first i mentioned, it will always sound loud even with the volume at 9' o clocl or let sayd round 20 out of 60.

Problems with digital preamps is that some only goes up to 60 and no more, a traditionel volume *** goes to 11'o clock and 12'o clock, if that doesn't make the music loud you can get it up to 1 or 2' o clock, on some digital preamps with a small amp let's say under 100 watt in 8 ohm, some recordings may not even be loud at 50 out of 60 thats like turn table vs cdpalyer with it's often 2 volt output (much higher then a turn table)
yes modern bands its filling the room around 43 on wards as modern cds seem louder then some older bands cds do but with the Abrahamsen 30 vol playing say genesis invisible touch album 30 vol you can hear the album but its not very loud and not filling the room like it would do at 43 vol but put metallica and justice for all on then 43 is louder then the genesis album is

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
stevee1966 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
the abrahamsen will go up to 60 on the volume which is maximum volume on this amplifier but never gone that far but have taken it to 55 on the volume?

?

Try playing toto past to the present from 1977-1990 (released 1990) or Elton john a single man from 1978 both non remastered, just the original cd, they are really low recorded so to play them loud the voulme has to be above normal (11'0 clock), the newest record from metallica  Death Magnetic is recored much louder then the 2 first i mentioned, it will always sound loud even with the volume at 9' o clocl or let sayd round 20 out of 60.

?

yes modern bands  its filling the room around 43 on wards as modern cds seem louder then some older bands cds do but with the Abrahamsen 30 vol playing say genesis invisible touch album 30 vol you can hear the album but its not very loud and not filling the room like it would do at 43 vol but put metallica and justice for all on then 43 is louder then the genesis album is

As you like the sound of your abe, if you ever need more power and volume id get 2 power amps running in mono at 250w. Run a pre amp and sell the integrated.
More than enough volume and power for ya

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
stevee1966 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

yes modern bands its filling the room around 43 on wards as modern cds seem louder then some older bands cds do but with the Abrahamsen 30 vol playing say genesis invisible touch album 30 vol you can hear the album but its not very loud and not filling the room like it would do at 43 vol but put metallica and justice for all on then 43 is louder then the genesis album is

As you like the sound of your abe, if you ever need more power and volume id get 2 power amps running in mono at 250w. Run a pre amp and sell the integrated. More than enough volume and power for ya
you can just run the 2up with just one power amp as the 2up has pre-outs on the back but i am happy with the 2up on its own but maybe in the future i will just add 4up power amp but see the price has gone up a bit on the 4up power amp

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
stevee1966 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
the abrahamsen will go up to 60 on the volume which is maximum volume on this amplifier but never gone that far but have taken it to 55 on the volume?

?

Try playing toto past to the present from 1977-1990 (released 1990) or Elton john a single man from 1978 both non remastered, just the original cd, they are really low recorded so to play them loud the voulme has to be above normal (11'0 clock), the newest record from metallica  Death Magnetic is recored much louder then the 2 first i mentioned, it will always sound loud even with the volume at 9' o clocl or let sayd round 20 out of 60.

?

yes modern bands  its filling the room around 43 on wards as modern cds seem louder then some older bands cds do but with the Abrahamsen 30 vol playing say genesis invisible touch album 30 vol you can hear the album but its not very loud and not filling the room like it would do at 43 vol but put metallica and justice for all on then 43 is louder then the genesis album is

As you like the sound of your abe, if you ever need more power and volume id get 2 power amps running in mono at 250w. Run a pre amp and sell the integrated. More than enough volume and power for ya
you can just run the 2up with just one power amp as the 2up has pre-outs on the back but i am happy with the 2up on its own but maybe in the future i will just add 4up power amp but see the price has gone up a bit on the 4up power amp

If you want 250w per channel you need to run power amp in mono

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
stevee1966 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

apart from top end volume what would the extra power do ? even better music separation then i do now also i am not sure if i can afford to go backwards and sell the 2up to get two 4ups + and pre amp

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
stevee1966 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

?

?

apart from top end volume what would the extra power do ? even better music separation then i do now also i am not sure if i can afford to go backwards and sell the 2up to get two 4ups + and  pre amp

In theory that would be a big upgrade compared to just adding one power amp.

I was only saying as a future upgrade not now as you are happy and really dont need it anyway as your sound is great now

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:
stevee1966 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

apart from top end volume what would the extra power do ? even better music separation then i do now also i am not sure if i can afford to go backwards and sell the 2up to get two 4ups + and pre amp

In theory that would be a big upgrade compared to just adding one power amp.

I was only saying as a future upgrade not now as you are happy and really dont need it anyway as your sound is great now
ok this was an option before buying the 2up but my heart at the time said just go for the 2up as its plenty louder enough for my needs but yes do see were your coming from but spending that kind of money i would be looking at the hagal 's *yes3*

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I dont want to put dowb the soind you have at the moment,which I am sure is awesome, but more efficient speakers I would presume would be louder. I think your speakers are 4ohm, and I believe 8ohm would be louder..

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
radiorog said:
I dont want to put dowb the soind you have at the moment,which I am sure is awesome, but more efficient speakers I would presume would be louder. I think your speakers are 4ohm, and I believe 8ohm would be louder..
i am sure my speakers are 8ohm speakers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts