marantz pm64 stopped working !!

3foria

May 22, 2016
Visit site
hi folks

my beloved marantz pm 64 which ive owned for the past 12 year has stopped working , the power still comes on but the clicking sound they make isnt happening anymore & is just dead on all channels , was just looking on advice on what kind of fault it could be & where would the ideal place be to get it repaired , dont really want to let it go & if so is it fixable , any help or advice would be much apreciated , thanks

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't own one but google can find several links to forum threads asking about how to repair them, eg

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/251523-marantz-pm-64-mk2-missing-factory-caps.html

This thread mentions that 100 euros was on the high side of what to pay for this amp in 2014. Consequently if you do consider having your amp repaired, then be careful of the cost, because it could be cheaper to buy a replacement PM64 for say £60.

At least you know that the capacitors in the power supply are probably ok, because your amp powers up.

Clicking sounds are often caused by relay switches - sometimes used to disconnect the power amplifier outputs, when the amp is first switched on, and the voltages in the various amplifier stages are stabilising - this does protect the speakers from voltage surges and subsequent damage.

My first guess is that one of the relays has failed, and it could be relatively easy to replace.

There do seem to be plenty of web links for this amp, so I think it must have been relatively popular and well liked, and the diy hifi threads do seem to be populated by enthusiasts familiar with this amp - so don't despair because i think someone will be able to help you.

3foria

May 22, 2016
Visit site
thanks for your help mike much apreciated
thumbs_up.gif

3foria

May 22, 2016
Visit site
i dont know if its a mk2 , i dont think it is, its the gold one with just the 4 knobs on the front instead of 8 if im correct

TRENDING THREADS