Marantz PM6002

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I know that many people have talked about the PM6002, and I know that people are going to say go and listen for your self, but I really need to know about this amp. I listen to possible the widest variety of genres possible from Elton John, to things like The Berzerker, Mike Patton and basicaly everything in between.

So i was wondering is the PM6002 a good all rounder?

Would it match the Tannoy F4s well?

And what about the DACmagic?

T

the record spot

From my own experience over the the years with Marantz kit, I can say it works well with a wide range of music. We're the same at home with our tastes - classical, world, rock, pop, electronic: the works and it handles it all. See my signature below for the kit. The Marantz amp has been with me since 2001, the new CD player since the summer and they're both superb. No experience with the 6002, but if it follows in the family tradition...!

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Wellthe KI series is tuned by that guy...meaning the normal one needs to be tuned.of course the KI version is much better.

T

the record spot

Not so.

Marantz have done this for years now - issued a CD player or amp at two different price points. There's no "need to" about it. You cut your cloth accordingly in build for the budget you've got to put a bit of hardware out.

They'd mark one out for upgraded internal components and Ken Ishiwata would go for it. Hey, we had a bog standard CD52 years ago and it was a super player. Another guy I knew had a PM44SE amp, no quibbles there either, it was good if unspectacular.

They've since dropped the KI branding however; the 7003 and 8003 ranges being the first examples of this.

matthewpiano

I auditioned the PM6002 and didn't like it. It reminded me too much of a PM4001 I had briefly - a bit bland sounding and no drive or accuracy in the bass.

You must, of course, listen for yourself but my recommendation at this price point (and with your eclectic tastes) would be the NAD C325BEE. Much better amplifier, as is the Rotel RA-04 (a different presentation but equally talented).

Another amp I'd be looking at would be an Audiolab 8000s. Available for little more than the PM6002 these days and an absolute bargain.

T

the record spot

matthewpiano:

Another amp I'd be looking at would be an Audiolab 8000s. Available for little more than the PM6002 these days and an absolute bargain.

Totally agree; £500 down to £299 or less and it has a good upgrade path too.

A

Anonymous

I,ve got the 4001 and think its a cracking little amp.Mind you i only paid £80 for mine and think to better it i,d need to spend a lot of money,imo.To my hears and in my system it just sounds right.

matthewpiano

Pauljrd6: I,ve got the 4001 and think its a cracking little amp.Mind you i only paid £80 for mine and think to better it i,d need to spend a lot of money,imo.To my hears and in my system it just sounds right.

And that is why auditioning is so vital. We all hear things differently!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
ear:Wellthe KI series is tuned by that guy...meaning the normal one needs to be tuned.of course the KI version is much better.

Actually, the standard ones are tuned by 'that guy', too. Just the KI ones are tuned further, with more expensive components.

Oh and FWIW, I think the PM6002 is actually rather good.

A

Anonymous

TomW93:

So i was wondering is the PM6002 a good all rounder?

Would it match the Tannoy F4s well?

Yes it's a good all rounder, and it sounds very good to my ears. Never listened with your Tannoys though.

BTW "take this bottle" sounds good too
emotion-4.gif
, I love Faith No More and Mike Patton's stuff!
emotion-21.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No problem - as far as a guy I spoke to a few years back at the Bristol Show was concerned, he's known only as Mr Irishwater.

I was more making the point that it's not a matter of the products being not much good to start with, which is why Ken has to tune them; rather he tunes the basic models within budget constraints, and then 'supertunes' the KI ones with a bit more manufacturing dosh to play with.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Haven't heard the pm6002 but I have the pm7001,smooth and well detailed with the AE evo3's.it begs to be cranked up ,no harshness at all

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts