Marantz M-CR603 and B&W speaker

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I'm the proud owner of Marantz's new "Melody Media" and would like to upgrade my existing speakers by replacing them. Was thinking of the slick new B&W CM8 floorstanders, but wondering if my amp is capable of decently driving the CM 8's. I've read that the 603 is well capable of driving more expensive speakers, but never read anything on the combination with CM8...

Moreover, as the 603 has a A/B speaker setting, so I' m thinking of using two sets of speakers: CM8 in the sitting area of my living room, and the B&W M-1 near the dining table. For listening to music on a higher level, I would only use the CM8 (A), and for background music I would use the M-1 (B) or CM8 + M-1 (A+B).

Any thoughs anyone? The 603 has a 2x60W or 4x30W amplifier for those who didn't know...

Great forum by the way!

Saabje

A

Anonymous

Saabje said:
Hi all

I'm the proud owner of Marantz's new "Melody Media" and would like to upgrade my existing speakers by replacing them. Was thinking of the slick new B&W CM8 floorstanders, but wondering if my amp is capable of decently driving the CM 8's. I've read that the 603 is well capable of driving more expensive speakers, but never read anything on the combination with CM8...

Moreover, as the 603 has a A/B speaker setting, so I' m thinking of using two sets of speakers: CM8 in the sitting area of my living room, and the B&W M-1 near the dining table. For listening to music on a higher level, I would only use the CM8 (A), and for background music I would use the M-1 (B) or CM8 + M-1 (A+B).

Any thoughs anyone? The 603 has a 2x60W or 4x30W amplifier for those who didn't know...

Great forum by the way!

Saabje

I would clearly say don't do that! The CM8 diverses a much bigger and more current strog amp.

It's truth that reviews tells it capable of more expensive speakers, but my own experience is to be very caution choosing speakers for the MCR603.

I'd earlier parred the MCR603 with the Mission's 794se, and I had never been satisfied with the soundstage. The sound was muddy and undetailed, when playing a little load, and low end was very poor.

Then I tried with a Primare I20, and it was a whole new life the Missions began - amazing crystal clear sound, with a good punch. Now I have the XTZ A100D3, and I'm very satisfied.

I though the Missions were rubbish, bit I got wiser.

So be aware!

Try to bring the MCR603 with you, when audition speakers. The MCR603 is a great little box, but be careful when choosing speakers.

The Marantz has only 50 watts in 8 ohm with thd 0,7%@1khz - the 60 watts is with thd 10%!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for you opinion, Hans. Could you clarify what you mean with "The Marantz has only 50 watts in 8 ohm with thd 0,7%@1khz - the 60 watts is with thd 10%!" This is beyond my knowledge of hifi I'm afraid (just a critical music lover, not an audiophile :)

Anyone else who actually has experience with the CMR matched to said speakers?

A

Anonymous

Saabje said:
Thanks for you opinion, Hans. Could you clarify what you mean with "The Marantz has only 50 watts in 8 ohm with thd 0,7%@1khz - the 60 watts is with thd 10%!" This is beyond my knowledge of hifi I'm afraid (just a critical music lover, not an audiophile :)

Anyone else who actually has experience with the CMR matched to said speakers?

Hi

THD = total harmonic distortion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_harmonic_distortion

That means the 60 watts and 10%, is useless in the real world.

THD should should be less than 1% - lower is better.

Someone could properly explain this a lot better...

I'm sure somebody in here can recommed some suitable speakers
smiley-cool.gif

T

the record spot

I wouldn't touch the CM8's with a bargepole if you're partnering them with the 603. They deserve a far better and more powerful amp than the Marantz has. £1200-worth is overkill. Set your sights substantially lower - you'll find perfectly capable speakers in the shape of Q Acoustics 2050 floorstander at £380 or £450 for the piano black finish. It's well rated and the brightness in the treble will be nicely counteracted by the smoother Marantz. Only buy the B&W's if you're thinking of upgrading your other components.

The 603 has, I think 40wpc, so really quite underpowered for the CM8's. The Q's have a sensitivity of 90db or possibly 92db and will be a much easier load for the Marantz amp to drive.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
£1200-worth is overkill. Set your sights substantially lower - you'll find perfectly capable speakers in the shape of Q Acoustics 2050 floorstander at £380 or £450 for the piano black finish. It's well rated and the brightness in the treble will be nicely counteracted by the smoother Marantz. Only buy the B&W's if you're thinking of upgrading your other components.

To be clear: money is not an issue. So if the CM8's will do as good as the Q Acoustics 2050, I'll go for the first. They ar far better looking and smaller.

Would it be an option to connect a seperate amp? FYI: I bought the CMR for its DAB, Airplay and internet features.

The 603 has, I think 40wpc.

T

the record spot

Good for you if money's not an issue. Spend it on a better amp (or power amp and hope the 603's pre-amp is good enough) if you're intent on the CM8s.

My point was not of money being an issue, but the 603's abilities to drive the speaker to get the full benefit of the speaker. It would be an imbalance (IMO of course) otherwise. The B&W spec sheet says the CM8 has 88db sensitivity, it's also a slim floorstander, so bass might be an issue (or lack of it might) unlike the 2050. More power and good current delivery are preferable in an amp than lack of it.

A

Anonymous

Ok, thank you record spot. I see your point. Any suggestions on a power amp for this set up anyone?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts