Marantz CD6005 v Marantz CD63 mkII KI

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I have the Marantz CD63 KI cd player at present, but wondered how the modern cd players would stack up to it?

In particular, I'm keen to hear what people think about the Marantz CD6005, especially as it being sold for just over £250 at the moment. It has some extra features that the CD63 KI lacks that would be useful to me, so I guess its a features versus sound quality compromise/debate.

Anyone heard both these cd players by any chance?

:cheers:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I asked a similar question about a year ago, I was advised to keep my Marantz 63SE, which I did although don't use it that much now. New cdps as most products are not so well built or designed to last so long, so I would keep the 63KI until it breaks then consider alternatives like ripping cds or BluRay player.

Garett

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the slightly older but virtually identical CD6004 which I think is a cracking player, the front USB socket is really useful too. Its certainly not badly built as the poster above suggests they might be, its a solid bit of kit and weighs almost as much as my amp!

Garett

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The link you posted only has reference to the older and also lower budget CD5004???

Having just read the hi-fi choice review (Jan '13) on the PM/CD 6004 combo I stand by my view that it is an excellent disc spinner. In fact they rate the CD player over the amp because of its sweet mid but say they work exceptionally well together.

Pete as you have the amp already could you get your hands on the CDP for reference?

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I have recently bought a cd6005 to replace my arcam cd192 as it was very unreliable and fussy about what discs it would play. To my ears the marantz is every bit as good as the arcam at a fraction of the price, it does provide great detail and also is very musical and I really enjoy using it. The usb features are useful extras.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
gwynne61 said:
I have recently bought a cd6005 to replace my arcam cd192 as it was very unreliable and fussy about what discs it would play. To my ears the marantz is every bit as good as the arcam at a fraction of the price, it does provide great detail and also is very musical and I really enjoy using it. The usb features are useful extras.

Interesting as on another thread, 'most recent upgrade' someone replaced their CD63 KI for the arcam cd192 and suggested the arcam was a better listen.

I may try and get a listen to the CD6005 at my local hifi shop and take my CD63 KI in to do a comparison.

It's the USB socket that is appealing to me as I rip to memory sticks more now. And with the added bonus of power on/off via remote (CD63 KI isn't like that), I can gain access to all my cds without moving off the couch. :rofl:

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Garett said:
The link you posted only has reference to the older and also lower budget CD5004???

Having just read the hi-fi choice review (Jan '13) on the PM/CD 6004 combo I stand by my view that it is an excellent disc spinner. In fact they rate the CD player over the amp because of its sweet mid but say they work exceptionally well together.

Pete as you have the amp already could you get your hands on the CDP for reference?

I know the PM/CD 6004's were made for each other, but I assume combining the PM6004 and CD6005 will be just as good? I found one website selling the CD6004 for more than the newer CD6005 :O

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts