Marantz CD 63 KI intermitant RCA socket

lewis hurlin

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I have a Marantz CD 63 KI CD player whichi I have bought second hand recently allthough it sounds superb there appears to be a loose phono socket on the right hand socket you have to move the conector for it to stay on . Do the sockets need replacing or is it a dry joint I can easily fix with a drop of solder ? Help please

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
You should be fine- pop the case off and you should see that the socket is just one bit of metal soldered to another. These often snap off after repeated plugging/unplugging...

A drop of solder should do the job perfectly.

If you mean the plug itself has worn and the cable won't stay on, then replacement phono sockets are available from Maplin or many other places, and are fairly easy to install.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

You have two phono sockets and so two live wires carrying the stereo channels at line level, one left and the other right.

These will be connected to the centre of the connectors. The outer part is ground or return and these will most likely be attached to a common pin. Check for chassis ground continuity and resistance to phono socket outer. Check for voltage at the pin centers when the unit is operating (top case fitted), should be up to 2VAC. Having a wiggle of the connectors whilst checking this will tell you which pin has a potential dry joint. Additional solder may be required, but the connection may simply need reflowing.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
That might be wise. Shouldn't be an expensive fix, but see my edited comment above.

I would just like to add that the damage is likely to be under the board with a detached connection, so you might have to lift it to carry out the repair. Take all neccessary precautions to make sure that the power supply caps are drained, or you might get a nasty surprise.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You need to access the under-side of the circuit board and resolder the pins to the tracks. I did it on a CD52, but that was dead easy because the base unscrewed, giving you access to the circuit board. It might do on the CD63 mkII as well, but I've never needed to check. £40 is fair enough if that's the price to give someone else the hassle, but tbh I personally would be getting my screwdrivers and soldering iron out and saving £40.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
You need to access the under-side of the circuit board and resolder the pins to the tracks. I did it on a CD52, but that was dead easy because the base unscrewed, giving you access to the circuit board. It might do on the CD63 mkII as well, but I've never needed to check. £40 is fair enough if that's the price to give someone else the hassle, but tbh I personally would be getting my screwdrivers and soldering iron out and saving £40.

+1 :) You can do it in 10 mins and save the $40 for some CDs ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts