Marantz CD63Mkii KI Sig

Old Dex

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

First post here, apologies if this isn't allowed but I'm a bit stuck.

I've had my Marantz CD63Mkii KI Sig CD deck for 20 years. AFAIK it's still highly respected as a piece of hi-fi but after some recent intermittent dropping out of the right channel (output only, headphone socket was fine) it's now not even recognising CDs when inserted. The shop I bought it from is long gone so I'm looking for recommendations of someone in NW England who can be trusted to repair my beloved deck.

Marantz have only suggested boxing it up and sending it to a dealer some distance away which I'd prefer to avoid if at all possible; I'm wary of the damage that I've either heard of or experienced myself with couriers.

Thanks in advance.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The intermittent output will be a bad solder joint between the output jacks and the PCB. It's an easy but fiddly fix that requires taking out the main PCB, because in their wisdom Marantz didn't not include a removable bottom panel on these machines like it did on the previous generation. I'm not sure about the problem of it suddenly not recognising your discs. But the main issue could well be that it will cost you as much to have it looked at and repaired than it costs to buy another. Typically they're about £100-£120 on ebay, or as little as half of that if it's collection only and you're lucky enough to be local.

Old Dex

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks - I've been frequently told that it'll be parts that will be the issue & on those grounds I'll avoid buying a replacement off Ebay as I could easily be back to square one at any time. I'm surprised that Marantz doesn't have a better back-up service than it does.

A hi-fi shop that I've used has recommended a local guy but his phone isn't answering as yet.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Old Dex said:
I'm surprised that Marantz doesn't have a better back-up service than it does.

To be fair it's 20 year old kit...you can't really expect them to keep all the spare parts for ever, really they're in business to sell you new kit not fix 'vintage' equipment that probably pre-dates the birth of some of their younger employees. Though I 100% sympathise with your situation.

Old Dex

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Old Dex said:
I'm surprised that Marantz doesn't have a better back-up service than it does.

To be fair it's 20 year old kit...you can't really expect them to keep all the spare parts for ever, really they're in business to sell you new kit not fix 'vintage' equipment that probably pre-dates the birth of some of their younger employees. Though I 100% sympathise with your situation.

Sorry, I was too vague; What I meant was that Marantz' gave me one address only to ship it to for assessment, no nearer agents or approved service centres, whereas Pioneer and Sony do (though I was told by their own agents that Pioneer's parts ordering system is poor).

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
if it was me and i had a player that reached 20 years old i would be thankful to the manufacturer for a product that lasted that long. In terms of repair, do you really want to? You cant gaurantee that something else on it wont go subsequently. I have an amp nearly that old, and if it ever blew i know ive had more than my moneys worth out of it.

Personally, i would just give it an honorable "burial" and move on.

stefanom

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
not reading discs - could be a dead laser.

Remove the cover and try to clean the lens carefully with q-tip. If you power on the unit in a dark room, there should be some faint red light from the laser, if it's OK.

Old Dex

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
stefanom said:

Remove the cover and try to clean the lens carefully with q-tip. If you power on the unit in a dark room, there should be some faint red light from the laser, if it's OK.

Cool - thanks, I'm happy to give that a try. I'd much prefer to keep it working as it should if at all possible. There's a reason they're regarded as a "classic", as you'll know from being an owner yourself.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I'd try not to get too fixated on the 'classic' way of thinking. A new CD Player may be the easiest option if you can't economically fix the KI. The CD63 is not a remarkable player really and the KI improvements are debatable. The guts of the machine are still essentially a CD63. You could either buy another model the same from eBay and take your chances with how long it lasts, or buy another one with a different fault on the cheap and mix and match the parts of two to make one good one.

Or I think you could choose any new Marantz and keep playing your discs with pleasure. It's just more expensive initially.

You have a few options really.

I know what it's like to be sentimental over stuff. You've seen my thread on "What's the longest length of time you've owned a bit of kit" thread. I've had my Sony CDP-XB930 since 1999, I've considered buying a spare laser for it just incase anything happens, I'm handy with a soldering iron so I think I could fix most faults that may go wrong, but that's just because I like the user experience of my machine as it does differ from the norm. I know that sonically any modern player would sound the same if I had to replace my Sony. But if it really came down to it, I'd buy another on eBay and mix and match the best parts of both, purely because of my preference for the functionality of my old player rather than concerns over sound quality.

Old Dex

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
I'd try not to get too fixated on the 'classic' way of thinking. A new CD Player may be the easiest option if you can't economically fix the KI............

Yeah, I get that but as is often spoken of on most music forums it's the pairing of the kit you have and right now I'd prefer to keep it stat rather than the hunt of "what goes with this & this?" etc. It took me about 8 years of chopping and changing to get this, the last "kit" I bought was a solid oak unit to house them all - so it seemed complete - but not for long.

aversaurus said:
Where abouts in the n/w are you?dex
I'm in Ribble Valley, about 30 ml north of Manchester.

The last repair I had to get done was to my Nad533 t/t fixed. It had been in storage after a house move & wouldn't work. Several hi-fi dealers said to junk it & buy a Project. Only one said to keep it "it's great kit" and fixed it (new motor and belt). Their tech is now freelance, found him online, so I'm going to have him assess my Marantz when I've got time to see him.

Old Dex

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
stefanom said:

No little red light/glow :-(

Looks like I'll be paying the £20 to have it confirmed it's past it.

K

keeper of the quays

MeanandGreen said:
?

I'd try not to get too fixated on the 'classic' way of thinking. A new CD Player may be the easiest option if you can't economically fix the KI. The CD63 is not a remarkable player really and the KI improvements are debatable. The guts of the machine are still essentially a CD63. You could either buy another model the same from eBay and take your chances with how long it lasts, or buy another one with a different fault on the cheap and mix and match the parts of two to make one good one.?

Or I think you could choose any new Marantz and keep playing your discs with pleasure. It's just more expensive initially.

You have a few options really.

I know what it's like to be sentimental over stuff. You've seen my thread on "What's the longest length of time you've owned a bit of kit" thread. I've had my Sony CDP-XB930 since 1999, I've considered buying a spare laser for it just incase anything happens, I'm handy with a soldering iron so I think I could fix most faults that may go wrong, but that's just because I like the user experience of my machine as it does differ from the norm. I know that sonically any modern player would sound the same if I had to replace my Sony. But if it really came down to it, I'd buy another on eBay and mix and match the best parts of both, purely because of my preference for the functionality of my old player rather than concerns over sound quality.

if my mission pcm7000 packed up that would be a black day..i own a sony xb940 sacd player..good machine.

Old Dex

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
spiny norman said:
........ if you're sufficiently attached to the player, your freelance tech knows his stuff and it is the laser, you can pick up a complete replacement transport mech he can fit, for £13.

I am - on the grounds that I spent a lot of time and cash (to my mind) on the system and had it just how I wanted it. I don't want to start back down the "that's good with that but...." routine again and music is a huge part of my life.

Thanks for your suggestion, if all is not yet lost then I'll put it to him.

TRENDING THREADS