Marantz 1601 speaker set-up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I recently purchased my first AV system. I auditioned a few amps and the Marantz was the dark horse of the lot, I really never considered the Marantz as there was no mention of it in What Hi-Fi but I have to say I found it impressive.

I currently have the Boston Acoustics XS 5.1 speaker package linked up to the amp but I watch movies and listen to music in equal amounts. When I activate the Pure Direct mode on the amp it (obviously) makes the front 2 channels sound very weedy, as they are only 2 small satellites.

My question is what bookshelf speakers would go well with the Marantz 1601 and the Bostons? I have read this months feature in What Hi-Fi on budget speakers but I'm not too sure what will sound "bright" with my current equipment.

Many thanks
smiley-smile.gif

Deano

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I'd look at Boston Acoustics bookshelves to keep the sound similar across the front for films.

Alternatively does the sub provide any way to input the stereo speaker level sound, or is there a stereo line level output from the amp in pure direct that you could feed to the sub?

Considered the 1601 myslef but went for a Denon 1911 instead. It's a complicated story, but after a broken amp my demoing was limited, though I'm very happy with the Denon even though it's a lower budget than I originally intended.

I'm interested to know how it compared to other amps?

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi Deano,

I too have the brilliant NR 1601 and can confirm that in 'direct' and 'pure direct' modes there is no sub output. Not sure what you want to use the additional pair of speakers for? If they are to be used as fronts and to blend with XS system's centre, surrounds and sub, then Boston bookshelves are probably best suited.

But if you want to just add a pair of speakers (as 'Front B' pair) than any will do.

I have KEF 1005.1 connected to mine for HC duties and Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s for stereo (as pair B) and this works just fine.

Either way it is fairly essential that you listen before you buy to make sure that whatever you choose works for you.

A

Anonymous

Kinda - I originally went to audition the Pioneer VSX920, Yamaha RXV667 and the Onkyo NR609 but the shop did not stock Onkyo so upon hearing my deisre to play music and movies he recommened trying the Marantz 1601. We went into the auditon room were the manager had all 3 amps hooked up to a pair of B&W 685's.

We first tried the Pioneer with Tron Remixed soundtrack and it was like the walls were being painted in noise, things just seemed very frantic and messy. We then tried the Marantz and it blew me away compared to the Pioneer, the sound was very focused and clear. Last was the Yamaha, and even though this was the amp I originally wanted and the sound was very good, the Marantz had won me over with it's slimline design and the awsome Pure Direct mode.

The manager said I shouldn't write the Pioneer off as it wasn't set up with the micrphone for optimum speaker levels. Once he set the amp up correctly it was like a different machine, it came to life. The sound was focused and extremely clear but it was still very agrressive for my liking. The Pioneer really threw a spanner in the works, I thought I had things wrapped up with the Marantz, but the sound the Pioneer was producing was just outstanding. If I was going to watch movies more than anything else and I didn't have a newborn in the house then I would have went for the Pioneer no problems as it seemed to beckon me to play it loud, but for me the Marantz just sounded more refined.

The Marantz just didn't seem as clinical as the Pioneer and I really didn't hear much difference in the Yamaha, so I went with what I was really happy with...and that was the Marantz.

Iceman - You raise some good points mate. I thought I would buy 2 speakers that would serve well in a 7.1 setup and also handle music confidently, but it makes sense if i have a 7.1 setup for the 2 new speakers to blend in with the existing satellites. Do you think I would be best keeping my setup as 5.1 with 2 additional dedicated music speakers?

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
NR 1601 is a very decent stereo performer as well. Until recently, instead of the Diamonds, I had a pair of B&W 685s with it (for stereo, as front B, in addition to KEF 1005.1) and was very happy with the sound.
Few months back I got the Marantz M-CR603 as the heart of my other system which is where B&Ws are now. (685 are happy with just about everything you throw at them!)

Personally, I value stereo performance slightly above HC surround sound but not as much to warrant going down the route of having separate amps in one room (one for HC, one for stereo).

All comes down to what your preferences are. In my opinion, you may benefit from adding a decent pair of stereo speakers at an appropriate budget rather than have another pair of matching surrounds to create 7.1. And if you do go for 'dedicated' stereo speakers, remember you can also assign NR 1601's amps to bi-amp speakers so equipped, which usually improves the overall stereo experience.

Talk to your friendly dealer and listen to several speakers - there are quite a few good ones in the 200-400 quid bracket. He should let you take a couple of pairs home, to listen in your own environment and finally choose the pair you like best! They might even blend nicely to create a decent 7.1 system...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the help Iceman, I think Ill audition the B&W 685's again, they worked brilliantly with the Marantz in the shop. I would also like to try the Missions and Tannoys in this months issue of WHF. If you think of any more please let me know.

By the way I also put music over HC so I'll seriously consider the bi-amp option in the future.

Thanks mate
smiley-wink.gif

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
Happy to help Deano,

By all means listen to Missions and Tannoys but also to MA's BX2 and RX1 / RX2 as Richard suggested. Here are some of the other 'usual suspects' and 4 and 5 star WHF winners:

Dali Lektor 1 / 2 / 3
Arcaydis DM1
KEF Q100 and Q300
Rega RS1
Tannoy Revolution 4

Some of these are on the wrong side of the 200-400 quid range but with little luck, you may find them cheaper. You should try them anyway, if for no other reason than to compare them with cheaper ones. Happy auditioning!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts