Many problems Sony 46W4500

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
None taken!
emotion-2.gif

On a more serious note, we're unlikely to hear anything more from Sony today, so unless anyone else has got some first-hand experience to share, I don't think this thread's going to get anymore productive tonight....

A

Anonymous

Well i have just bought the 40w4500 and when on a blank screen there seems to be some white light in both top corners, dont really see it on the image tho.

A

Anonymous

I am very curious about the reaction of Sony. My problems don't indicate a faulty set but a faulty series(w4500). I'm sleeping at this forum.
emotion-20.gif

Can't wait!
Sony really needs to answer about these major problems.
I warmly thank Clare for the presentation of the problem to Sony.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Clare, its good to know that you guy's are looking into this as i have complained to my retailer, but they do not want to know! I hope you get some sort of answer from Sony as this has really put me off buying anything Sony again. I will not doubt your reviews again as i obviously have a faulty set.

As for anyone thinking of getting this set...don't waste a lot of money!

Mesha

A

Anonymous

Just hang fire with buying this set, Simple.

Let's wait on Sony to respond and see what they plan to do about the situation - i think a revision 2 model or update might be the possible solution.

To the WHF staff, i think it might be a good idea to link the visitors back to this thread on the awards page.

"Although we recommend this model, there have been reports on a possible system flaw. Please revert to our forums here (link) for the latest updates"

A simple adjustment will win over more people. It will show WHF is there to put us (the customer) number 1. Plus it will help advertise the forums and increase the subscriber level.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
StyleSony:To the WHF staff, i think it might be a good idea to link the visitors back to this thread on the awards page.
"Although we recommend this model, there have been reports on a possible system flaw. Please revert to our forums here (link) for the latest updates"

A simple adjustment will win over more people. It will show WHF is there to put us (the customer) number 1. Plus it will help advertise the forums and increase the subscriber level.

Thanks for the advice on how to do our job.

I think we'll wait until we have some more solid evidence of a general problem, rather than just a few people making a lot of noise on forums.

A

Anonymous

Andrew,

Many apologies for coming across like an **** (you fill in the blank)

BUTÿÿyou can't keep wallpapering over the W4500's issues, it's pretty much dominating this thread and MANY other sites and forums, which i would gladly mention but i think it would breach the forum rules.

The clouding that some W4500 owners are experiencing are unacceptable on ANY brand, especially when you are paying a considerable amount of money for them. Instead of sweaping it under the carpet, it's better to have it in the open. That way it puts pressure on Sony to remedy the problem.

Maybe clouding may be a fault with all LCD's to some extent but If Sony can ship fault free W4500's while at the time shipping sets with some of the worst clouding seen, then something is up.

Sets with clouding such as the set ***** (edited for forum rules) has or the 46" reviewied by ******** (edited again for forum rules) should never reach the consumer, and should not pass QA.Having poor QA can have a very negative effect on a brands reputation.

Although i'd like to agree with you and say this is a minor issue, daily feedback increasingly proves otherwise. Consumers who are paying £1000+ ought to know what the crack is, dont you agree?

I'm willing to bet that over 100 people have bought this particular unit based on the award winning review alone (without checking the forums).

ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

ooooooohhhhhhh! you mardy ******! lol

My 40w2000 has bleeding but then lots of lcds do! it doent really bother me its very rare you can see it under normal viewing

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Who's wallpapering over anything? We're giving you space to pursue your personal crusade, for whatever reasons you feel the need to pursue it and despite your repeated breaches of forum rules, and we're pushing Sony for an answer on something which, on the evidence of this forum, has affected two sets.

What more do you want?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Who's wallpapering over anything? We're giving you space to pursue your personal crusade, for whatever reasons you feel the need to pursue it and despite your repeated breaches of forum rules, and we're pushing Sony for an answer on something which, on the evidence of this forum, has affected two sets.

What more do you want?

ÿ

A free TV for xmas please - 46" X4500 will do fine.

You asked!!ÿ

A

Anonymous

StyleSony:
it's pretty much dominating this thread

Well, the answer is in the title !

A

Anonymous

I purchased a KDL40W4500 last week from a local Sony Centre in the North East.

After reading around on other sites etc I made sure that the 5 yr Guarantee that I got with the TV covered set faults such as the clouding issue that is noted in this thread and almost all over many Home cinema based forums.

The nice ppl at the Centre told me there would be no problem swapping sets if this occured.

Now having read around I was aware of a rumour doing the rounds that all sets assembled in Spain were cloud free... so I ensured that the set I was buying was assmebled there.

ÿ

I am picking up the set 2moro night.. along with a PS3.. so I will let you guys know if the rumours are true.

I feel slightly awkward having spent £980 on a TV that might end up being faulty... fingers crossed I have not! :)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd also like to add that we're hardly 'dodging' this issue when a) we're hosting this thread and b) we're the only ones pushing Sony for an answer. We take our responsibilities as a consumer title incredibly seriously - see also getting a resolution on the Sony receiver issue when everyone else was getting nowhere. Here's hoping there's a similarly positive eventual outcome to this one....

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
If it's got a 5 year warranty, (it bloody should have) just take it back to the store and say, i want my money back or a replacement, trading standards say you should just be firm with the people you are buying from and tell them the problems. Hope you sort it out.

marksmith34

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
I've had a 46W4500 since the end of september. It replaced a Pioneer PDP434.

I've been completely wowed by the Sony. The colours are more vibrant and there is so much more detail in the picture. (I use it with SKY HD, Toshiba XE1 HD DVD and a PS3 all at 1080p where possible via IXUS HDMI cables.)

I too have the clouding issue, exactly like the picture on page 1 of the thread. It only seems noticable where the picture is completely black. ie. end credits on a movie. I've never noticed it during a movie, but not really been looking for them.

I have the picture set to standard, but did try lowering the backlight setting, but it didn't make any difference.

I'll have a good check at the weekend to see they are visible during a movie.

A

Anonymous

Do you know if it is just a problem with the 46w4500 or will the 46z4500 be the same?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Chandler_90:Now having read around I was aware of a rumour doing the rounds that all sets assembled in Spain were cloud free... so I ensured that the set I was buying was assmebled there.

But the OP said the affected set was built in Spain.

emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

Att: Clare Newsome

Hello

Can I ask which settings you used when testing the 40w4500?

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare,

I purchased the 40w4500 last weekend and am sorry to report that i have clouding and backlight bleeding. I have taken advice from another forum on this and tried a few methods to remove it but it has been unsucessful. I would not expect to have this type of issue on a tv in this price range. The issues actually can be seen when watching TV/Bluray on dark scenes and once you notice it, it becomes really annoying. Some reports mention that the cloiuding does get better over time, however mine has stayed the same over the last 3 or so days. I have contacted my local sony centre (where i purchased the tv) and they will give me a replacement however i am worried that the replacement will be just as bad or worse. Any thoughts?

Many Thanks

Ben

A

Anonymous

I purchased a 40W4500 (spanish built with a september build date) last week from online retailer. The set had very noticeable clouding / backlight bleed in all but the bottom right hand corner, it also displayed intermittent white line type flashes across the middle of the screen.

The retailers service has been excellent, the TV was picked up promptly and this morning I have been credited the full amount (including delivery costs). I don't know if I should order a replacement (they have reserved one from a new delivery for me) or go for an older model such as the 4000 or X3500.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Virgilen:
Att: Clare Newsome

Hello

Can I ask which settings you used when testing the 40w4500?

We'll have started with the THX Optimiser then tweaked from there - and, as stated in our review, we set the MotionFlow to standard. I'd love to be more precise, but said Sony is packed up ready to be driven up to Excel for our Show. It'll be on display there, but we will obviously be re-calibrating the sets to suit the show environment....

A

Anonymous

Seems like the whole W4500 series has issues, and not just a coupke of sets! Does this mean that the W4000 is overall a better series?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts