Many problems Sony 46W4500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've bought a Sony KDL46W4500 in the Netherlands.

I'm not satisfied with my 46W4500. I have the feeling that the W4000 was better than the W4500 because there was none of these problems except backlight bleed/clouding (really a big problem with Sony LCD's). The product doesn't correspond to the price. The W4000 had significantly fewer problems. But I had to return it twice by other problems. Problems with my 46W4000's black bars on the screen and the other very poor image quality. Later moved to the W4500 with great expectations.

Clouding problem is really bothering me now. I think the clouding problem will never be solved. For about 100 hours I have already used the TV and I notice no improvement.

The problems:

1. The backlight is flickering and I can see it on bright images. Looks like a 20-year-old CRT TV. (HDMI or SCART connection backlight level min, 1, 2, 3 and 4) It's also flickering on level 5 ->10 but you have to focus very good on the screen if you want to notice it. I can notice the flickering of the backlight most clearly with ''reduced power'' ON. This is a serious problem! Can anyone confirm that his TV doesn't have flickering on bright images? (Connection: HDMI and SCART)

2. There is noise from back of the TV. Especially if I open a document with a lot of text (by example: word). Then, the high buzzing is really annoying. From 3 meters you can't hear it, but if you are in a very silent room it's a problem. The volume must be on if you don't want to hear buzzing.

3. Clouds and bleed. This is a big problem when I'm in a completely dark room. It seemed to have been resolved, but that was temporary. Maybe it has to do with heat. Who knows?
When I turn on the lights I can see still bad backlight bleed/clouding. I think Sony has just more problems with clouds and that is a fact. (read forums on the internet) The clouds are all over the screen and not only in the corners but also in the middle. (they are everywhere!)

4. When you look from an angle you see terrible backlight bleed (very sloppy). It is very ugly. The light comes from the bottom and goes upwards. On a black screen it is clearly visible. You are required to sit right in front of the TV and otherwise you just have a blurred image. Really a failure IMO.

5. On quick images the TV has smearing. Especially on colors: red, blue, black and grey. Not really a problem for me.

6. I see flashes of white lines on the screen. I have tryed changing my HDMI cable but no difference, still getting random flashes of white lines. It's really annoying me. Today I've seen more then ever. It's becoming worser!! The flashing/blinking lines are everywhere now. (Every 30 - 40 seconds) It's only via HDMI and I see sometimes also flashing lines on SCART.
The problems are getting bigger and bigger.

Recent photos of my clouds. (Purchased: September 25, 2008). Assembled in Spain: 08/08/2008

(Ridiculous!)
s8300430tc4.jpg

A photo from an angle:
s8300421fy9.jpg

The shop does not want to swap.
(Two TV's exchanged already. That was the W4000.)They want an assessment of Sony about the problem. I think that someone from Sony will come to check if there is a problem with the TV.
Sony says that they only repair and never exchange (is this true?). The shop should exchange itself (according to Sony). It's a battle between the store and Sony. I have already contacted Sony, but they have not called me yet. Bad service of Sony Netherlands.

Sony has a poor service in Holland. They will say that it is no fault but normal.
I paid almost 2000 euro's for this TV and I tought that Sony was almost flawless. Sony was MY brand, but now I don't think so. The store don't want to swap it. (I am too late for returning, because it can only within 2 weeks) Only if Sony says it can't be repaired and give me a confirmation on paper. Then the store will swap it but that's almost impossible. I'm afraid that Sony will never do this. When I wanted to exchange my previous W4000 I called Sony. They said they would come only for repair. It was not possible to exchange or get a confirmation of the defects. Subsequently, after much insistence I exchanged it in the store. The store will never agree for a swap unless I can prove it with a report from Sony.

What can I do now? I'm really disappointed about Sony.

I don't know how I should solve this. Repair is also not useful because it is a new TV. Where should I complain?

Thanks for reading my post.

31-10-2008 -UPDATE:

Today, the store called me. They have indicated the following:

They can do nothing to solve the problem. Exchange is no longer possible. (really bad customer service, store in the Netherlands named BCC)
I must make an appointment with Sony. They will look for faults. When the TV is defective, I receive a report from Sony with the problems. At first, they shall try to repair the TV. If repair isn't possible.... Sony will send a new 46W4500 to my store and they shall exchange it. The shop don't want to swap unless Sony confirms the clouding is unacceptable. I am afried that Sony will say that the clouding is acceptable.
Because this is already my 3rd TV in a very short time, I think about making rescission of the sale.

This is possible in the Netherlands.

I will not hesitate to start a lawsuit against the store or Sony if they not resolve my problem.

I never accept repair. A new TV for repair? I'm not crazy.

Here is a video of my backlight flickering problem:

http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-6011610704629218710&hl=nl

A

Anonymous

I have also noticed severe backlight bleed in the 2 W4500's I have looked at (40"/52") It is not very impressive for a premium product that these LCD's obviously are in every other way.

A

Anonymous

"Should have got your self a Plasma then you would not be having these issues. "

You can't say that, you will have the LCD mafia on you.

A

Anonymous

I really feel for youhaving these problems.

Do your clouds move? They look to me like the screen has received pressure on it. If this is the case they will not move.

I wonder of your TV has been badly stacked.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Dont get me wrong as I do understand the OP dispare after spending so much money, but personally I fail to understand why anyone would opt for a LCD rather than a Plasma in these larger sized TV's when issues like these are apparent with LCD due to the nature of how they work and are IMHO more pronounced when looking at larger screens.

A

Anonymous

This is a particularly extreme example, almost all, even at this size are perfectly fine. Anyway plasma boy, no one's perfect...ÿ

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:This is a particularly extreme example, almost all, even at this size are perfectly fine. Anyway plasma boy, no one's perfect...

PLASMA MAN if you don't mind! Has anyone seen my sidekick Blu-Ray BOY anywhere???
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

D.J.KRIME:
Octopo:This is a particularly extreme example, almost all, even at this size are perfectly fine. Anyway plasma boy, no one's perfect...

PLASMA MAN if you don't mind! Has anyone seen my sidekick Blu-Ray BOY anywhere???
emotion-4.gif

No but ive seen Ray about he's looking well.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Whether this TV is faulty or not, I really, really do believe that manufacturers and retailers, and indeed magazines like this one should emphasise the problems of watching LCD on SD. Because despite Sony's improvements with this set, I still don't think the SD is very good.

Now of course you can go and buy an HD box, and a blue ray player, (all at extra expense) but most people still watch SD most of the time. A lot of people who take the trouble to come on here get caught out, so gawd knows how many people who don't bother to do some basic research end up with a poor quality picture.

A

Anonymous

Very Annoyed:

Whether this TV is faulty or not, I really, really do believe that manufacturers and retailers, and indeed magazines like this one should emphasise the problems of watching LCD on SD. Because despite Sony's improvements with this set, I still don't think the SD is very good.

Now of course you can go and buy an HD box, and a blue ray player, (all at extra expense) but most people still watch SD most of the time. A lot of people who take the trouble to come on here get caught out, so gawd knows how many people who don't bother to do some basic research end up with a poor quality picture.

I think the thing is regarding sd on an lcd, the answer in my opinion is it CAN be good. Can being the operative word. Regarding the obviously faulty tv and complaints about sony's customer service from the op. Maybe someone who works for sony could talk about sony's policies regarding these kinds of issues. After all remember any of us could get a dodgy set.

farawaydave

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
i couldnt get any joy with my questions regarding sd on sony lcds.really wanted to buy kdl 46w4500 but wasnt sure so i bought pana th50pz81b, no regrets sd picture excellent bluray awsome

A

Anonymous

techno:Very Annoyed:

I think the thing is regarding sd on an lcd, the answer in my opinion is it CAN be good. Can being the operative word. Regarding the obviously faulty tv and complaints about sony's customer service from the op. Maybe someone who works for sony could talk about sony's policies regarding these kinds of issues. After all remember any of us could get a dodgy set.

I doubt Sony is any better or worse at customer help if you have a problem than any other major manufacturer. In any case, the guarantee is with the retailer, and that should be the place the purchaser goes for help. Quite frankly, a set this new, is not fit for purpose if it is faulty, and should be exchanged for another one.

A

Anonymous

Very Annoyed:techno:Very Annoyed:

I doubt Sony is any better or worse at customer help if you have a problem than any other major manufacturer. In any case, the guarantee is with the retailer, and that should be the place the purchaser goes for help. Quite frankly, a set this new, is not fit for purpose if it is faulty, and should be exchanged for another one.
Well if the poster is correct they say the retailer cant do anything until sony give the go ahead.

A

Anonymous

Very Annoyed:techno:Very Annoyed:

Yep i have now found out you are 100% correct about it being the retailers responsibility, for the first year anyway. So basically the poster needs to tell that to the retailer.

A

Anonymous

I totally feel for you, i posted yesterday that i was so unahppy with my 46W4500, my problems are not as extreme as yours but, reading some of your replys i agree that many people read reviews from experts only to be really let down...WHF gives this set a best buy rating, i cant believe this when you watch the set yourself and see that the picture is not good at all on SD. Even the HD is not what i was expecting!

I have tried the THX calibration and that has done nothing for the picture, so please beware if you are thinking of buying this set as it really is not as good as the review says! I should of kept my KDL32D3000, as that was perfect! Bigger is obviously not better when it comes to LCD!

Mesha

A

Anonymous

Stay clear if you are going to watch a lot of SD , Go for a Panasonic Plasma , wish i had now! I know of one going cheap if you really want one
emotion-5.gif

Mesha

A

Anonymous

mesha:
Stay clear if you are going to watch a lot of SD , Go for a Panasonic Plasma , wish i had now! I know of one going cheap if you really want one
emotion-5.gif

Mesha
Can i ask how you were watching sd was it via freeview or a skyhd or virgin v+ box connected via hdmi. Because in my opinion lcd is pretty rubbish like you say with sd unless you have everything connected via hdmi and the sd upscaled well. And then i think it can be ok and sometimes quite good.

A

Anonymous

groberton:

I really feel for youhaving these problems.

Do your clouds move? They look to me like the screen has received pressure on it. If this is the case they will not move.

I wonder of your TV has been badly stacked.

NO, they don't move. Everytime on the same place.

A

Anonymous

techno:Very Annoyed:

It would be great if someone from Sony can give us an explanation. Are there people in this forum who are working for Sony?

TRENDING THREADS