Mains Cables or Power Distributor for Best Sound Quality

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Right now, the system sounds awesome (almost perfect), but I think there can still be improvements with a mains upgrade. I only use a dac and integrated amp and I'm wondering if I should get 2 high quality mains cables or 1 high quality mains feeding in a high quality power distributor. Both upgrade routes cost around the same. I'm looking into getting these mains cables: http://www.ultimatecables.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_67_68&products_id=186. They are cheap but are made from 50% SOLID silver and 50% SOLID copper, not the cheap silver plated you see everyday. I hear power conditioners compress the soundstage, so direct feed into AC outlet and no conditioning.

T

the record spot

Buy them by all means. Personally, having tried a hefty BT Mains Conditioner for some time, I found it made no difference to what I could hear. Stock cables are fine for me.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Csq2

I would upgrade the wall socket, which can be done quite cheaply. In Britain it can be bought from the likes of Russ Andrews. Then plug your new cables into that, in the knowledge that a good connection is assured.

Make sure that the cables are returnable in the event that they dissappoint.

If surge protection is important to you, I believe you can get this build in to the wall socket, otherwise you are back to the distributor.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
My house is somewhat new and I don't think the AC outlet poses any real concern to the sound. I'm a beginner audiophile and don't want to get into upgrading ac sockets or diy projects. I think upgrading mains do affect the sound. I plugged my stock power chords into a cheapo APC surge protector and the volume dramatically was reduced and soundstage collapsed. So, if I get proper or better power delivery into my system, I think the sound can be further improved.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You are quite correct to avoid cheap surge protection (mostly ineffective) and cheap conditioning which can strangle the sound in amps.

The socket suggestion was only for your two componants, and the replacement (in the uk anyway) is exactly the same size, so slots in very easily and quickly. It would't qualify as a project but I can certainly under stand your reluctance.
I was trying to give you the best of both options (without the cost), as the materials used in reputable makes of wall sockets are much better - just like in the after market mains cables.

Anyway good luck in what you are trying to do, and I hope it works out.

T

the record spot

csq2 said:
I'm a beginner audiophile and don't want to get into upgrading ac sockets or diy projects.

IMO - massively smart move. Leave it at that and enjoy the music in your system. Understanding how a cable works (not from the back of a nice looking box) and what one or any cable can do is part of this, so read up a bit. I suggest Roger Russell's site (ex-McIntosh engineer). Thereafter, the biggest change you can make to your system's sound, short of changing components, is to: i) move your speakers or ii) turn it off.

TRENDING THREADS