MA Response to electric hum from subwoofer

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Unfortunately,
some RSW12’s do seem to hum. This is due to the torroidal transformer that is
used and is an inherent property of all transformers of this type. You could
try a mains filter, but if that doesn’t work, there is nothing else we can offer
I’m afraid.

The
RXW12 and AW12 both use a switch mode power supply and so do not suffer from any
sort of mains transformer noise.

Now I just asked why does it have a mellow hum, and that was the response, nothing we can do, I was not asking them to do anything, I just wanted to know just in case it got worse.

The admtted they new about it, and from the response, wont do anything about it, lucky it does not bother me,

A

Anonymous

Because none of my other subwoofers hummed, and the dealer did not know.

Like I said I did not want it to be some kind of fault and not known about it.

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
PJPro:Are you sure it's not a ground loop?My subwoofer is absolutely silent.

as is mine and i've had it nearly nine years and it's a budget yamaha

A

Anonymous

I know the MA Platinum Sub (am getting it soon wohoo) that hums if you use a lesser subwoofer cable not sure if this applies to others but this I have seen. Was replaced with QED Signature subwoofer cable and the humming went away. Might be an idea to see if a dealer can try this out or if any other dealers can vouch for this.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
My brother-in-law was done over easter and complaining that his Kef subwoofer was humming. He was complemplating disconnecting the earth in the mains plug. This will work if there's a ground loop but I hope I've managed to convince him that it's not an entirely sensible fix.

He's gone away to see if he can identify which component is causing the issue by pluging them into his AV amp, one after the other.

Clearly, the way to verify if you have a ground loop is to remove the signal cable and see if the subwoofer still hums when isolated from the rest of your equipment.

A

Anonymous

TBH I cant hear it from were I am sitting, its only if you go up to it.

I was just asking a question to them, asking whats with the Hum.

I have a handmade audioquest cable which is quite expensive, and also tried thatcable as well and it still hums.

I am just going to leave it as I just wanted to know, and they just sounded rude to me, because if I was making a complaint then I would have really been upset.

I thought MA customer service was supposed to be top noch, and from that email, it seemed like they got their back up.

Oh well, still love my sub, and its so much better than the R370HD, OMG THE POWER

canada16: Oh well, still love my sub, and its so much better than the R370HD, OMG THE POWER

Glad you're happy with your subwoofer upgrade
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Yeh it still hums, but its not noticable were I am sitting.

The difference between the R370HD and the RSW12 is night an day, I can hear little bass tones that the R370HD would not even react to.

Music and TV shows and especially movies come to life now, very happy.

Now what can I upgrade.... LOL

Going to leave the av stuff and buy a panasonic TZ7

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
canada16:
Yeh it still hums, but its not noticable were I am sitting.

It still hums! It's not a ground loop then. It sounds like the earthing within the subwoofer has either been designed incorrectly or is faulty.

A

Anonymous

I think what the OP meant was mechanical hum, rather than the 'electric hum' as he put it. i.e. It's not coming from the loudspeaker, from what I can gather, though He'll have to correct me on that if I'm wrong. What MA told him is that all transformers hum to some degree. It's a 50Hz hum caused by the current flowing through the coils. Some transformers are better damped than others, some being encased in resin or varnish to reduce it. I have a mains conditioner which has a hum so loud I don't use it now. I improved it slightly fitting rubber spacers under the transformer mounting but it's still awful. If it is emenating from the driver, then, yes it's possible you have grounding issues or a poorly designed amp or power supply.

Mr Gaz

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
HI Canada 16,

I run my rs12 with a qed signature cable, if i put my head to the back i can hear the hum you refer to,no need to worry just normal. As someone said its a mechanical noise and changing cables makes no difference ,just enjoy it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts