Very slight Hum from Rel Subwoofer normal?

skutters

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I just want to get a few opinions on my Rel Subwoofer that I bought recently, I have noticed a very slight Hum coming from it when I bend down to turn it off its not audible from a distance. It's not a ground loop thing as it still does it if I disconnect the high level cable to the amplifier, I have to put my head right next to it to hear it properly so am I just being a bit paranoid as it does have a power amp inside after all. It also makes a bit of a clonk when I turn it off also. So hopefully it's pretty normal and I don't have to go to the hassle of taking it back to the dealer for inspection. Cheers Kev.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
if you have to get on your hand's knees to hearit , then yes its normal.
On the other hand if you can hear from your seat then there may be a problem, subwoofers can suffer from ground loop issues, and these are very hard to sort, everything from microwaves to fridges can make it hum.

all my Rels I've owned hum if that any comfort, heck my speakers hum a little when idling

skutters

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
if you have to get on your hand's knees to hearit , then yes its normal.
On the other hand if you can hear from your seat then there may be a problem, subwoofers can suffer from ground loop issues, and these are very hard to sort, everything from microwaves to fridges can make it hum.

all my Rels I've owned hum if that any comfort, heck my speakers hum a little when idling
Thanks for that yes I have to be very close to hear it, what about the clunk sound when I turn it off.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for that yes I have to be very close to hear it, what about the clunk sound when I turn it off.

Normal,

Some components have a "soft" start and shut down others don't forget the exact terminology for it.

"Why does my speaker pop when I turn it off? When you switch off the power to your amplifier, its power supply will collapse asymmetrically which will cause the amplifier's output to be at an indeterminate state when it should remain at zero DC. This results in the switch On or Off thump."

Edit: if you can, you're best to leave it on, subwoofers don't like constant on-off cycles. I believe Rels will go into a idle mode when not used

skutters

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Normal,

Some components have a "soft" start and shut down others don't forget the exact terminology for it.

"Why does my speaker pop when I turn it off? When you switch off the power to your amplifier, its power supply will collapse asymmetrically which will cause the amplifier's output to be at an indeterminate state when it should remain at zero DC. This results in the switch On or Off thump."

Edit: if you can, you're best to leave it on, subwoofers don't like constant on-off cycles. I believe Rels will go into a idle mode when not used
Thanks again, I will leave it on then if that's best, Cheers.

Reactions: twinkletoes

abacus

Actually you can get a ground loop if you have your equipment plugged into multiple sockets on a ring main, best to use one double socket (Or get it replaced with a 3 gang) and a multi-gang extension lead(s).
NOTE: If the wall sockets are close together it is usually fine, but if there is any distance it can cause problems. (This is why it is best to have a dedicated line from the fuse board)

Bill

skutters

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Actually you can get a ground loop if you have your equipment plugged into multiple sockets on a ring main, best to use one double socket (Or get it replaced with a 3 gang) and a multi-gang extension lead(s).
NOTE: If the wall sockets are close together it is usually fine, but if there is any distance it can cause problems. (This is why it is best to have a dedicated line from the fuse board)

Bill
Ok thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts