Lp sound to toppy and harsh.

Old is good

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a problem that my sound for LPs is to much treble which makes for listening a bit unpleasent.The CD replay is fine and the tuner is fine .Its just the playback on LPs that has to much treble and is harsh.My system consists of = Thorens125+SME arm+Goldring 1042 cartridge. Amp = Yamaha A-S500.Speakers= Tannoy Mercury V.Interconnects =Atlas Element Intergra Analogue. I turn the treble down on the amp but it loses out on the overall sound.Is it my cartridge which has to much treble for the system and shoud I buy a new cartridge.If so, what cartridge which be advisable to buy around the £200 mark tops.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It's probably the phono board in your amp. If you'd asked someone to give you a list of amps with decent phono-stages to sit between your classic Thorens and your comparatively-recent speakers, no modern Yamaha would have been on anyone's list. Your user name offers you good advice in this situation to be honest ;-)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
It's probably the phono board in your amp. If you'd asked someone to give you a list of amps with decent phono-stages to sit between your classic Thorens and your comparatively-recent speakers, no modern Yamaha would have been on anyone's list. Your user name offers you good advice in this situation to be honest ;-)

Really? I've not heard any bad reports on Yamaha amps? Oh, and welcome back btw *wink*

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Is this a recent problem, or have you just put everything together and what you hear is the end result. Has the TT or amp been recently introduced? What about TT set up, arm hight etc?

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts