Question low volume from speakers (please help this newb)

Kate-e-s

Feb 23, 2021
Visit site
So I've just bought my first turntable, a project primary e and the guy at the store told me it has an inbuilt pre amp so I just need to connect it to speakers with their own power source (I've connected it to my edifier R1700BTs). But the sound is super low so now I'm a bit confused. Do I need to buy an external pre amp? Some sites say there's a phono/line switch but I can't see it anywhere. Help!

camcroft

There must be a switch that you have to switch on read below its underneath as it shows in the picture. Hope this helps engage the switch to phono out
Does pro ject primary e have a preamp?
The Primary E Phono is equipped with a switchable phono/line output, so it can be run with a dedicated external phono preamp or with the integrated phono preamp connected to a line input (for example AUX, CD, Tuner, Tape, etc.).
PJ_Phono_Primary-E_Details_PhonoRender.jpg

Reactions: nopiano

Kate-e-s

Feb 23, 2021
Visit site
There must be a switch that you have to switch on read below its underneath as it shows in the picture. Hope this helps engage the switch to phono out
The Primary E Phono is equipped with a switchable phono/line output, so it can be run with a dedicated external phono preamp or with the integrated phono preamp connected to a line input (for example AUX, CD, Tuner, Tape, etc.).
View attachment 2177
[/QUOTFrom what I can see there just isn't a switch! I've attached a video of the model I have
View attachment 2177
That’s what I thought I should be able to find but cannot locate that switch anywhere 😕 there are two small boxes on the base though neither of them have any kind of switch

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 23
D

Deleted member 108165

Looking at the specs and WHF review there is no mention that the Primary e has a phono stage. WHF review actually states that it needs to be plugged into an external phono stage or an amp with a phono stage.

D

Deleted member 108165

The guys at the store were wrong this needs to be plugged into a phono stage/preamp to get sound out of it. You need another box Kate.

Yet Project website says it's plug and play??

Kate-e-s

Feb 23, 2021
Visit site
The guys at the store were wrong this needs to be plugged into a phono stage/preamp to get sound out of it. You need another box Kate.
When I first bought a Project turntable I made the same mistake I had to return it to change for the one that I have now
Looks like I'll be taking it back to do the same! Thanks for the help :)

Gray

So I've just bought my first turntable, a project primary e and the guy at the store told me it has an inbuilt pre amp.
OK it's a mistake that a Newbie could make (and one even Camcroft above says he made).
BUT if, as you say Kate, you were advised that what you bought did not require a separate phono preamp.....that changes things as far as I'm concerned.

It's really not good enough that you've bought in good faith - then needed to come on a forum to find out why things are not working as you were told they would.

I would (politely) leave that retailer in no doubt how disappointed you feel about the situation.
(They should be grateful to you that you have not named them in this thread....so far).
Respectfully ask them to agree that , in view of your inconvenience, expecting you to pay any extra money would not be appropriate - show them this thread if necessary.

I'm confident they will do the right thing.

iMark

It's a little bit confusing and I can fully understand why the wrong product was sold. But any dealer should know the difference between the models.

About the Primary E Pro-Ject states on their website that it's plug and play: https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/primary-e/ But that simply means that when you take the turntable out of the box you don't have to adjust anything. You plug it into an amp. No mention though of a phono stage.

There is however another model of the Primary E, the Primary E Phono: https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/primary-e-phono/ This one comes with an integrated phono stage that can be switched to line or phono. The line position runs the signal from the tonearm through the phono stage and will sound fine with any amplifier without a phono stage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts