Loudspeakers that work well close to wall

theaceface

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Greetings

After finally getting my beloved Pink Triangle LPT restored to its former glory, l am now looking for a pair of loudspeakers, I am currently using a pair of Wharfdale 9.1 with an original Audiolab 8000A amp (1983 ish)

I am budgeting around £200 for a pair of used speakers, unfortunately they will need to be placed on wall brackets as space is at a premium, I realise this is not ideal and limits choices

Anybody have any idea of a good match for the amp, I'm guessing front ported?

Thanks in advance

David

insider9

Is there anything wrong with your Diamonds? They're rather good speakers for the money and will work well in exactly the scenario you're describing. Had a pair that was pushed against the wall and worked fine.

theaceface

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for the replies so far

The wall is just brick and plaster

There is nothing "wrong" with the 9.1s as such, they were originally purchased to use as front channels in a 5.1 set up in another room

I just started to use them once the PT was sorted, I figured I could maybe do better buying an older speaker that was considered higher quality, rather than a new "budget" model, especially as the 8000A amp is over 30yrs old?

I was originally thinking along the lines of B&W 602

Are the new 220's really that much of an improvement on the 9.1, I believe the 9.1 had quad drive units etc?

theaceface said:
Greetings

After finally getting my beloved Pink Triangle LPT restored to its former glory, l am now looking for a pair of loudspeakers, I am currently using a pair of Wharfdale 9.1 with an original Audiolab 8000A amp (1983 ish)

I am budgeting around £200 for a pair of used speakers, unfortunately they will need to be placed on wall brackets as space is at a premium, I realise this is not ideal and limits choices

Anybody have any idea of a good match for the amp, I'm guessing front ported?

Thanks in advance

David

If you can stand the look I'd be looking at a pair of re-foamed infinite-baffle speakers like the brilliant original Heybrook HB1's. There are some on eBay well within your budget.

Rethep said:
Also an 'open baffle' speaker could do the job. Hard to get 2nd-hand i guess. Some 2nd-hand Audio Note K's could help also.

You are right about the limited nature of cheap open-baffle speakers available. I believe the AN-K are infinite-baffle also, however good suggestion, can be expensive though.

theaceface

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
The HB1s look a reasonable option

looks don't bother me, I'm more interested in sound, unfortunately the Audio Notes are out of my price range

Having never heard the HB1, I'm assuming they would be a significant improvement on the Wharfedales old and new?

Also, suggestions for a suitable wall bracket, I was planning on a btec bt77 but I'm not sure if the HB1s dimensions will be slightly too big for it, weight is fine though.

matthewpiano

theaceface said:
Hi

Thanks for the replies so far

The wall is just brick and plaster

There is nothing "wrong" with the 9.1s as such, they were originally purchased to use as front channels in a 5.1 set up in another room

I just started to use them once the PT was sorted, I figured I could maybe do better buying an older speaker that was considered higher quality, rather than a new "budget" model, especially as the 8000A amp is over 30yrs old?

I was originally thinking along the lines of B&W 602

Are the new 220's really that much of an improvement on the 9.1, I believe the 9.1 had quad drive units etc?
Yes, they are significantly better than the 9.1s. I had 9.1s for a long time and they are incredibly capable for their price. There certainly were similarities in the drive units compared to the Quad 11L, but then none of these things are really 'Quad' or 'Wharfedale' or 'Mission'. They're IAG-developed parts which are then used and adapted to suit the traditional sound of each brand. The drive units in the current Diamond 220s benefit from developments IAG has made since then, and particularly from all the work Peter Comeau (previously of Heybrook) has done. If you put the original Quad 11Ls up against the current Wharfedale Diamond 220s, in most respects the 220s would out-perform the Quads. They are fabulous speakers.

theaceface

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
So that leaves the conundrum of going for the older HB1 or the new 220?

The headache continues lol

Once again thanks for all the information everybody, keep it coming, it's interesting and very much appreciated!

theaceface said:
So that leaves the conundrum of going for the older HB1 or the new 220?

The headache continues lol

Once again thanks for all the information everybody, keep it coming, it's interesting and very much appreciated!

Class though the HB1's are, if you don't really know what you are looking at, I would play safe and buy new. Having said that if you do buy HB1's ( can be quite cheap) and find they are not quite for you they will be easy to sell on.

theaceface

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
That's the big issue as I have a limited budget

i had been advised by a dealer that in order to see a significant improvement I would have to throw around £500 at a new speaker, MA Silver 1 or Dali Opticon 1 were given as options, but obviously the wall mounting is still the biggest limitation as to getting the full potential from any loudspeaker

Hence the reason for thinking of buying an older speaker of significant quality for a cheaper price as opposed to buying a new budget speaker

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
You could always trade in your old speakers at AudioT and get 20% off a new pair of MA Silver 1, that's £100 off. The offer runs until the end of October, and covers a whole range of manufacturers, not just MA. Just a thought.

theaceface

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
20% is a good deal

still too rich for me at the moment

im still tempted with the HB1s but I think they will be impractical to wall mount, so will maybe keep looking for a little more compact choice.....

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Happy to send them to you for no more than the price from La Poste in France. If WHF (and yourself) agree, contact me by email and I'll get them out to you.

theaceface

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the offer of the HB1s

Depends on price and if i can find a suitable wall mount

why are you selling, what equipment did you use them with?

theaceface

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I have also found a pair of Dali Opticon 1s at a reasonable price

After doing some research it appears they would be ok close to a wall, but the what hifi review says good but better detail available from other speakers

Also I'm obviously in the dark how they will perform with my trusty Audiolab 8000A.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts