Speakers for position close to rear wall

FraserD

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I am looking for a pair of speakers to replace my Monitor Audio GR10's. Amp is Roksan Caspian2 and source Caspian2 CD. Room size is small to medium and unfortunately the room configuration means I have no option but to place speakers about 14cms from rear wall. Any suggestions?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Fraser. Welcome to the forum!

Do you need floorstanders or standmounters? What kind(s) of music do you listen to? Oh, and... Any budgetary constraints?

Same questions as DocG really. There are quite a few options. Might also be good to know what part of the world / country you are from to see if any dealers in your area so you can go audition any suggestions. (Not much point in us suggesting exotics if you have a snowballs' chance in hell of actually listening to them, I feel).

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Don't be too put off by the fact that the speakers will be close to the wall. Most speakers work perfectly well placed close to a wall. The problem with speakers and walls is known as Speaker Boundary Interference Response which is basically how the speaklers react to the boundaries around them. Often when you push the speakers closer to the wall it actually just move the inteference move up the frequency scale to an area (300hz or more) where it becomes more ambient sound and more easily controlled. Bit more about SBIR here -

http://gikacoustics.co.uk/speaker-boundary-interference-response-sbir/

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Check out the Dali Rubicon 2. Excellent speaker for the cash, and very easy to place. You can let them fire straight forward and place as close to any rear wall as you like, the imaging and placement remains superb in my opinion.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
MattSPL said:
Just be sure to avoid rear ported speakers

Well, as a rule of thumb: yes. But there are exceptions (Wilson Audio's Duette comes to mind*).

product_duette2-mount2.jpg

Sealed speakers are relatively insensitive to boundaries nearby.

* I'm allowed to suggest these, as the OP didn't state a budget yet...*biggrin*

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
All Audionote speakers are designed to work best near walls, and preferably in corners.

Also look at MAD MY 1920 and Audiosmile Kensai, both have good reviews and work well against rear walls.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
If your speakers are on stands have you tried placing the stands on a solid surface like a block - a thick mdf slab on blue tac or concrete - you can get them cut to size.

If you're having bass issues it can help.

DocG said:
MattSPL said:
Just be sure to avoid rear ported speakers

Well, as a rule of thumb: yes. But there are exceptions (Wilson Audio's Duette comes to mind*).

Sealed speakers are relatively insensitive to boundaries nearby.

* I'm allowed to suggest these, as the OP didn't state a budget yet...*biggrin*

Of course you are, especially when posting a pic of them in such a lovely colour....... I prefer the fluorescent orange myself.

(Its a good job that I cannot afford them really or her indoors might have someting (else) to moan about). :)

TRENDING THREADS