Loudspeaker design and modern living.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
How old is your car? What make and model of car is it? A fleet of 6 Rolls Royce Silver Shadows we found on Gumtree for £50 quid each like anyone else could. We have converted them to run on Calvados distilled from apples grown in our orchards. (More people should have orchards. it's only laziness that stops them.)

Do you smoke? I have a man in St James, London who sorts that out. No idea what it costs. It's not polite to pay him. Gives tradesmen ideas if you pay them.

What holidays have you gone on in the last 12 months? 3 months in our chateaux in France. (Been going there every year since we found it for £2000 in the Exchange & Mart 30 years ago.) You only have to look around, there are plenty of cheap Chateaux to be picked up for less than the price of a brand new caravan or motorhome.

How much have you spent on clothes for yourself and family in the last 12 months? Not much. We go to house clearance auctions and buy wardrobes and chests of drawers. They often still have the clothes left in them. We then re-sell the furniture for a profit. We also have a loom to weave yarn we have spun from our own sheep. Now I know that everyone could keep sheep if they only put their minds to it.

How often do you go out to pubs / cinemas / football matches / other sporting activities / betting shops etc?

We play Polo in the back garden just like any other normal family. The visitors tend to bring their own motorhomes and we shoot some of the neighbour's deer and cattle to feed them. (Polo players eat little else. A lot of them don't even want it cooked first.)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
CJSF said:
Lindsayt . . . you dont live in the real world and sound like David Cameron? You probably have a well paid job, plus all the trappings that go with it? A lot of people dont . . . Once you have that 10 room mansion, the cost of running it is horrendous, especially these days...

My job pays me an average income for the UK. Hardly what I would could a well paid job.

I get this is a lot. When people see my house they assume I'm rich.

As for horrendous running costs? So horrendous that someone on an average income can't manage it? Pfff.

A few questions for you:

How old is your car? What make and model of car is it?

Do you smoke?

What holidays have you gone on in the last 12 months?

How much have you spent on clothes for yourself and family in the last 12 months?

How often do you go out to pubs / cinemas / football matches / other sporting activities / betting shops etc?

Pff, I don't live in the real world? Does that mean your definition of the real world is somewhere where people on average incomes don't exist? Somewhere where you are not allowed to treat the house that you buy and live in as a business investment? Somewhere where you are only allowed to buy houses that are new, nearly new or have been done up by professional builders. Somewhere where the size of house you are allowed to buy, is pegged to the level of your income? If that is the real world then you can stuff your real world. I will choose to live in my world. And I would advise everyone else reading this to live in their own worlds too.

I wish my income was the UK average, then I would be able to go on holiday (last one 1995, self-catering. Bideford, North Devon!). I dont smoke, drink a couple of pints a week, actually usually a shandy, Hazel and me share a can and top up with lemonade. Can’t remember the last time I bought clothes, . . . new pair of shoes last year though, Hazel gets a few bits from the charity shops. Bettings a mugs game, dont like football, most modern films are a waste of time, crash bang wallop. We like a story with a begging, middle and a happy ending.

Treating a house as a business investment? . . . Living your life must be like a military operation . . . "from the right, call off by numbers . . . " !!!!

. . . and my car, I have in the past 7 months sold my very old Citroen with 203,000 miles on the clock!!!! I treated myself to a 2 year old Balingo multispace . . . the epitome of decadence wouldn’t you say?

As I started this post, 'I wish my income was the national average' . . . ? I have just retired, forced into it because of Hazels disability and spine operation last week, she needs looking after, not complaining. . . Hazel has not been able to work for years, registered disabled . . . hay, you know what Lindsayt, she can get a Mobility car all paid for . . . problem, then they take away her mobility allowance . . . There's them and there is us, the gap gets wider. I dont care now, to late, I'll take all that I have been paying in for over the past 50 years!

You have a good life Lindsayt . . . CJSF

John Duncan

Just as an aside...

The average UK house price in 1980 was £24k, while average salary was £6k; a 4x multiple. In real terms, that price is about £80k in today's money.

The average house price now is £230k, compared to average salary of £26k; a 9x multiple (or thereabouts). So houses have increased in price by about three times as much as everything else in life in that period.

So buying a house with sh-tty wallpaper to save a few bob probably doesn't quite cover it...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
What's your favoured make of polo shirt, chebby?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner John. (I was re-grouting the chapel.)

Second-hand Polistas. Found discarded in the grounds after a tournament. Usually a bit bloodstained (human, venison and beef) and sweaty. I don't like mint polos.

Otherwise a nice deerskin jerkin suffices.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
smug.JPG.jpeg

lindsayt said:
And then there are the people with bad credit histories who don't have the financial means or discipline to save up a substantial deposit who are pretty much condemned to renting for the rest of their lives. Sadly there's not much anyone can do to help them buy any sort of property.

Possibly the most patronising paragraph I've ever read. Bad credit history and lack of discipline is the reason for a lack of deposit? "Condemned" to renting? Not much anyone can do to help them?

Sickening

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Lee H said:
lindsayt said:
And then there are the people with bad credit histories who don't have the financial means or discipline to save up a substantial deposit who are pretty much condemned to renting for the rest of their lives. Sadly there's not much anyone can do to help them buy any sort of property.

Possibly the most patronising paragraph I've ever read. Bad credit history and lack of discipline is the reason for a lack of deposit? "Condemned" to renting? Not much anyone can do to help them?

Sickening

It's trrreeewwww!!

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Alears said:
... the latest Martin Logan Electromotion ESL speakers ... Positioning section...'best placed 2 to 3 feet from rear wall'... |(

To be an absolute killjoy and to actually respond on the OP's original issues (beautiful speakers, stunning sound) - just remember that as the main part of the speaker is the electrostatic panel (ignoring for the moment the fairly non directional base speaker in the base of the speaker :)) the distance from the rear wall is measured to the ESP so it is not exactly the same as measuring to the back of the box on a conventional speaker. Thus it is not quite so intrusive as may initially be feared.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts