Looking to upgrade receiver.

ianb76

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm wanting to upgrade receiver, So just looking for a little advice.

Currently own Harman Kardon AVR 355, speakers are Q Accoustics 1010 package, running 7.1.

Have been considering Denon AVR2311 (no networking though), Pioneer VSX-1020 and Yamaha RX-V1067.

Struggling to decide and probably need to demo them as well.

Does anyone own or has anyone had a demo of them?

Your advice will be much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

I owned a 920, basically a 1020 with less HDMI's and the same power, and tested the 2311 and 1067 at home.

The 920 was Ok but lost a little control up past -10 (obviously depends how high you play movies at) and it was not a patch on the 2311/1067 IMO.

It was closer between the 2311/1067 but for me and with my speaker package in mind the and the fact that the 1067 created and amazing sound field especially with steerting the 1067 won the day, and for a change I don't see me replacing it for a while.

It will be depend on your speakers, sound preferences and feature requirements, for example although the 1067 has it's own height speaker function, it's not a patch on Dolby or audessy's version. And the control app on the pioneer is great, not so much on the 1067.

I suggest trying to get a demo.

ianb76

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I will definately get a demo. I heard the 920 thought sounded ok, but reviews on that aren't great. Compared it to the 1020 and saw only difference was HDMI's, so was thinking would tonally be the same.

Most have my Harman on is -25, but does depend on what I'm viewing. I do really love my Harman but feel its not future proofed enough. I cant even upgrade it's firmware as need pc running xp !!!

Will certainly demo the Denon and Yamaha I think.

A

Anonymous

Defo get a demo, but if you love your Harman so much is there a desperate need to upgrade?

I'm not familiar with their range or feature set, but do you not know anybody with XP that you can take it round to their house/office and upgrade it?

ianb76

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately everyone I know has moved onto Windows 7. Also moved house in March, so running the Harman in a much bigger room. Not convinced it's quite powerful enough to fill it. Have considered upgrading within the Harman family, but may find the same problem.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I have demod the Pioneer 920 and the 2020.

The 920 for music just didn't seem to have any bass impact or control, though higher up it was musical enough and detailed.

I tried the 2020 thinking it might improve things, which it did. The bass wasn't flabby anymore, but it still had a 'spongey' texture. It was fine for music, though seemed to lose the basslines a bit at times. Films it was very good, very detailed. The trumpet at the beginning of We Own The Night sounded very impressive.

There was a feeling of a sound that could go loud but wasn't overpowering, (and it did seem to need to be turned up high).

But ultimately, haivng heard the Denon 1911 there was abbsolutely no way the 2020 was worth 2.5 times the price. In fact I wasn't even sure overall it was better. The 1911 has a great solid and controlled bass, and there's plenty of detail and articulation on tap. I've had it for a couple of months now, and I'm really pleased with it, for films and music.

I wasn't convinced of the benefits of the 2311, for twice the price, and it didn't have all the inputs / outputs I would eant at that price, so I didn't consider it. However, at the £629 I've now seen it for it has to be worth a listen.

I listened to a high end Yamaha, (3900), and while it had a laid back natural sound it wasn't exciting enough for me, and again the softer bass. Not for me, but many do like it.

Those are my opinions, but I'd definitely have a listen for yourself.

ianb76

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Finally plumped for the Yamaha rxv1067. Well chuffed with it.

Separation is great, much better than Harman Kardon. Also picture looks better on all sources even though no picture processing on receiver being used.

I am really pleased with it, got a good deal from Richer Sounds too.

Thanks for the reccomendations guys.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts