Advice needed on AV receiver upgrade

Moohadeeb

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, I'm looking for advice on upgrading my AV receiver. My current set up is an Oppo BDP103 Bluray player, Onkyo SR608 receiver and QAcoustic 2050is with a 2000Ci centre speakers (I have the Kef 'eggs' as the surround speakers and a kef subwoofer to make up a 7.1 system).

I'd like to upgrade my receiver and have been looking at the Pioneer VSX-923 and maybe at a stretch the 1123.

my system will be used primarily for movies but after recently buying the 2050is I've started to really enjoy music again so I would like an amp that delivers On both fronts.

i like the look of the Pioneer unit and it's App and the fact that it has HDMI zone 2. My music collection is primarily on iTunes so I'd like AirPlay but I have dusted off my CD collection and will be using the Oppo to spin some disks too!

I am keen on a HDM I Zone 2 out as I have a HDMi cable routed to a second room where I will relocate the 608 to...I would like the ability to have two sources playing separately to the two zones.

so are there any views out there on how well the Pioneers fit my system and are there other alternatives that you would recommend? I'd also be keen to hear from others whether or not I will get a tangible audio benefit from this upgrade...if not what amp would it take to achieve this???

hope you can help!

Tricky-Ricky

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Personally i would class the 923 as more a sideways step than an upgrade, most new AV amps will have a zone 2 feature, some can play a separate source via the on board amp, so just have a pre out for another amp, some both.

I previously had an Onkyo TX-NR609 which failed so its now been replaced with the Sony STR-DN1040, i also listened to the Yamaha RX-V675 but decided the Sony was much better with music.

Moohadeeb

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Tricky-Ricky, did you get a noticeable step up in audio quality from your sony compared to the 609? I see the Sony gets very good reviews.

I'm looking to get a decent improvement so would hold off until I could step up to a higher end receiver such as LX-57...

Tricky-Ricky

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Although it was back at the beginning of December when my 609 failed, i would have to say yes definitely a decent quality upgrade from the Sony in both5.1/7.1 and music, far more revealing on both counts.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Both Sonys that I've had (the 1200ES and now the 5400ES) have been great with music. The 5400ES is ridiculously good, in fact.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts