Looking to upgrade an old Sharp LCD TV

Pikman

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have a question :)

We have a sharp Aquos LC-46XL2E, used for Freeview HD, blu-ray and 1080p gaming.

Looking to upgrade, mainly as it seems like we could get a far more vibrant TV now, the blacks on ours are grey and it is pretty smudgy anytime the image moves sidewards, and to think it cost over £1k, lol.

Like most people looking to upgrade without going too crazy I started looking at the now 4 star Sony 50W829B, with a 22ms response time it might be good enough for gaming?

I looked up my Sharp online though and everything I can find says it has a 4ms response time, which is a LOT less. Although I do leave it in movie mode rather than switching to Game, which might negate this.

Then there is the Samsung UE48H6400, a bit smaller and a good deal cheaper but with double the response time.

Is any of this even really noticeable for console gaming? Is my Sharp really so much faster than the newer TV's? Seems like we took a step backwards, or am, I missing something?

As a possible aside, we sit a bit over 3m from the screen, no point worrying about 4K at this distance/size right? We can't go bigger than 50". I don't want to open a can of worms with that comment, the response time bit is more important :)

Input lag of 4ms for an LCD TV does not sound right. Sony makes the best LCD TVs for gaming, with fastest response times. I would recommend the Sony over Samsung if gaming is your priority. Ignore the stars, check both TVs for yourself.

Pikman

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm not so worried about stars, finding it tough to compare them in store, maybe I need a proper AV shop. Currys etc are useless.

Check out the Sharp info here, maybe they used to measure it differently!

http://www.sharp-cee.com/cps/rde/xchg/scee/hs.xsl/-/html/product_details.htm?product=LC46XL2E&cat=111

TRENDING THREADS