Looking for front ported bookshelf speakers with DEEP bass extension for under 2000 dollars

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking for bookshelf speakers that are front ported OR sealed. My total budget for an amp and speaker is 3000. I'd prefer the speaker to have the amp built in (active) but if not that's ok. What I am looking for is a speaker that has a bass emphasis, but is far from a basshead speaker. It has a bass emphasis to make it lively and give it warmth, but still has very clear and detailed mids and highs and has deep bass extension. I was thinking of getting the ADAM A8x (a studio monitor) and use it as a hifi speaker, has anyone had experience with this speaker, or have any suggestions for speakers?

Typical listening distance is 5-15 feet and I will be using an Iphone to play my music. Thanks in advance!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Event Opal, Quested S8R or the Quested V2108.

These.

I own the Adam A7X, but only auditioned the A5X and A7X in that range, but while it has sufficient bass for my needs, it sounds like you want something in the A8X league. Most reviews seem the view the A7X as the star of the range, and aren't as complimentary about the A8X, but definitely worth auditioning them if you can get to a pro audio store or similar retailer to hear them in person.

Personally I'd also be looking at something to work as a DAC and preamp as well to improve the sound quality of the source and make it easier to control the volume.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
There aren't any (that I'm aware of) that do deep bass (to 45 hz and below) with any sort of reasonable bass fidelity.

AVI 2.1 doesn't count as the 10" AVI subwoofer isn't a bookshelf speaker. And I'm not convinced that their subwoofer is all that in the bass department.

I have very large speakers with two 12" drivers per channel. They start rolling off at 40 hz. If they only just make it past 45 hz, what chance has a bookshelf with a circa 6" driver? It's all down to the physics of reproducing low frequency musical content.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
AVI 2.1 doesn't count as the 10" AVI subwoofer isn't a bookshelf speaker.

Hence my use of the word "Alteratively".

lindsayt said:
And I'm not convinced that their subwoofer is all that in the bass department.

The AVI 10" subwoofer, like most other good quality modern 10" subwoofers, is flat down to 30Hz and has plenty more output well below that. I can confirm that it goes lower than any of the 8" speakers mentioned in my previous post.

lindsayt said:
I have very large speakers with two 12" drivers per channel. They start rolling off at 40 hz. If they only just make it past 45 hz, what chance has a bookshelf with a circa 6" driver? It's all down to the physics of reproducing low frequency musical content.

Your speakers are very old and use 40 year old technology. They may well be the size of wardrobes and have 12" drivers but they're only big to improve the efficiency not to make them go deep. They needed to be efficient to make the most of the underpowered amplifiers of that era.

Modern drivers can be smaller while handling much more power and are able to produce deeper bass in a smaller enclosure.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_1404918602 said:
If it's a bit above 2000$ that's ok since I can most likley find it used for 2000$. Also by deep bass extension I mean it goes down to 45hz or lower. Thanks in advance!

Considering you don't know much about hifi/speakers (your words in the other thread) you are very specific.

Why 45hz?

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I was initially gonna recommed Event Opals and ADAM S3X-Vs but later noticed that the S3X-Vs are closer to GBP 3,000 than USD 3,000...

So another Event Opal vote from here.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
EvPa said:
davedotco said:
Mackie HR824-2 at about £1200-1300

OP wanted front-ported or sealed speakers, wouldn't the HR824 MK2's rear radiator pose a problem?

To be fair I doubt it would make that much difference unless tight to the wall or enclosed on the sides, that said I don't think any of the monitors under consideration would be great under those conditions.

If you want speakers that go deep, then some consideration of supports and positioning is essential, otherwise money is just being wasted. The HR824 have bass shelving and hi-pass filtering, this may well help if positioning is less than optimal.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
lindsayt said:
AVI 2.1 doesn't count as the 10" AVI subwoofer isn't a bookshelf speaker.

Hence my use of the word "Alteratively".

lindsayt said:
And I'm not convinced that their subwoofer is all that in the bass department.

The AVI 10" subwoofer, like most other good quality modern 10" subwoofers, is flat down to 30Hz and has plenty more output well below that. I can confirm that it goes lower than any of the 8" speakers mentioned in my previous post.

lindsayt said:

Your speakers are very old and use 40 year old technology. They may well be the size of wardrobes and have 12" drivers but they're only big to improve the efficiency not to make them go deep. They needed to be efficient to make the most of the underpowered amplifiers of that era.

Modern drivers can be smaller while handling much more power and are able to produce deeper bass in a smaller enclosure.

Steve, do you realise that your AVI recommendation in this thread puts you at risk of coming across as an AVI shill?

Steve, do you know what specific speakers I was referring to?

Steve are you an expert in their design development, allowing you to comment in the way you did as to why they ended up the way they did?

Steve, what do you think is the main limitation on power handling for bass cones? Suspension strength, or voicecoil overheating or some other factor? What sonic effects do you think happens when you an engineer a driver to handle more power?

Steve, what is actually different about a modern driver when compared to a good 40 year old driver that might possibly allow it to produce deeper bass from a smaller enclosure? And what effect will that tend to have on the sound quality and why?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ATC SCM 11 + Hegel H80/Rega Elicit R/Arcam A39.

As others have said, you won't get DEEP bass from a small bookshelf....what you will get is a nicely judged, fast and transparent sound, plus great imaging (with the right speaker).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
emperor's new clothes said:
Not sure about availability as brand new model. Claim to go to 30Hz.

http://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/html_files/Speakers.php?Range=Studio&S...

Holy heck, those look perfect. I would still like suggestions for other speakers just in case.

These figures are meaningless without qualifying them with some sort of measurements (Yes TrevC, I do read graphs and pay attention to measurements on occasions. Did I mention the fabulous mains cables I use? :) )

This is a small speaker. It may reach it's quoted low end response with a significant -db step down but it will probably not be relevant in comparison with the rest of the band during real world listening.

It's quoted sensitivity is most probably wildly optimistic too.

I am a former ProAc Studio owner so have nothing against the brand. They just do what most speaker manufacturers do and quote best case scenarios without measurements or explanation of how it has been achieved.

I am still intrigued TrevorHart, where the '45hz or lower' requirement comes from and why?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
drummerman said:
These figures are meaningless without qualifying them with some sort of measurements (Yes TrevC, I do read graphs and pay attention to measurements on occasions. Did I mention the fabulous mains cables I use? :) )

This is a small speaker. It may reach it's quoted low end response with a significant -db step down but it will probably not be relevant in comparison with the rest of the band during real world listening.

I am a former ProAc Studio owner so have nothing against the brand. They just do what most speaker manufacturers do and quote best case scenarios without measurements or explanation of how it has been achieved.

I am still intrigued TrevorHart, where the '45hz or lower' requirement comes from and why?

I totally agree.

I have substantial floorstanders with 2 x 8" woofers, which are only rated down to 45 Hz (+/- 3 dB)

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand why it's very common for studio monitors to go down that low but not hifi speakers. For instance the focal solos go down to 40hz at -3db. That's one speaker I'm considering but I'd rather have a HIFI speaker not a studio monitor http://www.focal.com/en/sm6/136-solo6-be-3544053801407.html

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
with a 6.5" driver, ribbon tweeter with a 38-30,000Hz response..and a front port, well under £400. Easily in your price range even if you get someone to assemble and finish them for you.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Any good 8' bookshelves then?

I strongly suspect that front ported, 8" bookshelves, that fall within your budget and have a maximum width of 10", as well as go to a genuine 45 Hz, will be very hard to find.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the m-audio m3-8 and they are great! They are not expansive too so you can have a great xlr dac preamp. Adams are good but the m audio sound is smoother!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Any good 8' bookshelves then?

I strongly suspect that front ported, 8" bookshelves, that fall within your budget and have a maximum width of 10", as well as go to a genuine 45 Hz, will be very hard to find.

I mean an 8 inch woofer.

I know, so that is what I was referring to.

SteveR750

drummerman said:
emperor's new clothes said:
Not sure about availability as brand new model. Claim to go to 30Hz.

http://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/html_files/Speakers.php?Range=Studio&S...

Holy heck, those look perfect. I would still like suggestions for other speakers just in case.

What about his brother Milton?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts