Looking for a new amp + speakers system (newbie need help)

Niwa565

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone

I recently got myself a pair of Kef X300a for my computer and the amazing sound it produce litterally blew me away, really got me wanting to dwell more into quality sound for my music.

I decided to do a total upgrade for my room. I will put the X300a over to my turntable and retire it current speakers. Im going to get a new speakers for my computer as I do more music listening on there

Here I am needing your help, what system should I go with. My budget is around 1500 to 2000 for everything. I'm looking for a system that deliver extremely smooth and warmth sound from it. I primary listen to OST and slow relaxing acoustic songs. I don't have a lot of high quality files on my comp so this new system need to be kind for low quality files as well, mp3 and YouTube vids. My local place recommended me this combo: Kef LS50 + Peachtree Nova 65se.

What is your thought ???

Hi there Niwa, first of all, I'd suggest you ditch all that compressed music on the pc, not being disrespectful but the kind of money your talking about spending on a system for your computer would frankly be a waste of money if you just plan feeding it small compressed music files, for £2000 the detail resolution and bass extension from any amp, dac, speaker option would far exceed what any mp3 could let you enjoy. So if I were you I'd start upping the files sizes on those tunes and then consider something like the arcam ir dac fed to a no brainer option of the arcam fmj a19 and on to a set of b&w 685 s2, that little lot will give you music Listening at a different level and set you back around the £1500 area, but remember you'll need to budget for stands for the speakers and half decent interconnects, oh and maybe a larger ext hdd for the pc to house those larger files lol. But please remember if you want to hear the music at it's best through the pc the best first step is uncompressed files, hope this helps.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Mp3s can sound good.

Look at active speakers, the performance for your money will almost certainly outweigh the traditional amp/speaker set up.

Depending on your PC set up perhaps consider soundboard, and/or some kind of dac/pre depending on your speaker choice.

Hi there niwa, again. Just to say forget about b&w 685 s2, demoed them with a friend looking for a new set of speakers, and was disappointed, they didn't even sound as good as the speakers there supposed to replace, boxy, crude and artificial was what I experienced, we moved on to the cm1 s2,different class.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts