Looking for a good subwoofer

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
ellisdj said:
With a movie sub you want one that has genuine bass extension not early roll off.

Some subs start rolling off at 40-50hz and rely on room gain to give a better spec figure but in reality will never have the puff or output in the ulf range to give clean bass.

The reason that is important is because within a certain volume limit subs will sound alike in your room.

They are largely separated by their output capability spl and freq extension and distortion we are not as sensitive to bass distortion.

So if your planning on high spl you need one or more big subs with a lot of clean spl.

If your thinking lower volumes you def want a sub with better extension not early roll off. Bkxls400 rolls off too early really for movies as does that Rel. Svs push for freq extension in their sealed subs as their more movie orientated.
hi mate thanks for that

I've got to ask you a question I looked last night at your home cinema setup on your web page and see your running 2 SVS subs the ultra ones which are a lot bigger the the SVS SB2000 why do you have 2 as the SVS ultras are quite power subs .

your floor standing speakers are just as big as my Dali opticon 8s so it's making me think maybe the SVS SB2000 will not be right for my opticon' s but I want the sub for films only as my opticon' s for music are fine without the need to add a sub .
The SB2000 will be more than adequate for your needs. Obviously the SB13 ultra will be better, but that is way beyond your budget.
yep £1700 for the ultra is a lot of money but bet it's pretty good

For that money, I would also be looking at this beast! *diablo*

IMG_7964.jpg

Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
ellisdj said:
With a movie sub you want one that has genuine bass extension not early roll off.

Some subs start rolling off at 40-50hz and rely on room gain to give a better spec figure but in reality will never have the puff or output in the ulf range to give clean bass.

The reason that is important is because within a certain volume limit subs will sound alike in your room.

They are largely separated by their output capability spl and freq extension and distortion we are not as sensitive to bass distortion.

So if your planning on high spl you need one or more big subs with a lot of clean spl.

If your thinking lower volumes you def want a sub with better extension not early roll off. Bkxls400 rolls off too early really for movies as does that Rel. Svs push for freq extension in their sealed subs as their more movie orientated.
hi mate thanks for that

I've got to ask you a question I looked last night at your home cinema setup on your web page and see your running 2 SVS subs the ultra ones which are a lot bigger the the SVS SB2000 why do you have 2 as the SVS ultras are quite power subs .

your floor standing speakers are just as big as my Dali opticon 8s so it's making me think maybe the SVS SB2000 will not be right for my opticon' s but I want the sub for films only as my opticon' s for music are fine without the need to add a sub .
The SB2000 will be more than adequate for your needs. Obviously the SB13 ultra will be better, but that is way beyond your budget.
yep £1700 for the ultra is a lot of money but bet it's pretty good

For that money, I would also be looking at this beast! *diablo*

IMG_7964.jpg

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Ok taken it back unopened

richer sounds salesman did not like it much that I brought it back without trying it first and thought I was making a mistake buying a SVS

i did not like his attitude towards me and kept saying I am making a mistake when I've not heard the Rel and then he had the check to make sure my signature was on my card before giving a refund but never bothered to look at my card when I paid for the Rel sub or any other time when I've brought something in the past and I've kept loyal over the years but today I opened my eyes and they are only interested in a sale said I still want the opticon 1s but came across uninterested in anymore what I had to say so after spending £1700 and £2000 on opticon 8s when I brought them I felt that would be the last time I would buy from richer sounds .

not very good in theses hard times when loyal customers are spoken to in this way I do not like ars licking salesman when your buying something and bad attitude when you want to bring back something just plain good advice would do its free .

But on a positive note it's back I will wait 3 days for refund to come back to me then I will give David a ring .

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BS i run 2 subs for a few reasons.
One major one is it allowed me to use them with a higher crossover 150hz.
There are technical reasons why I did that and also movies have serious guts to the sound setup like that.
I also went to Gecko cinema and heard 8x18s running with high crossovers and didnt feel one sub was enough after that.

But bear in mind I run the system with serious bass far more than most people will want not all obviously.

One sb13 ultra is very good but you need 2 for that serious bass impact. 4 would be better still.

Not to rob DavidF of business another consideration might be a Power Sound Audio S1500 but it might be over budget. It also might be too big.

Again this all depends on just how much bass you think you will want.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
BS i run 2 subs for a few reasons. One major one is it allowed me to use them with a higher crossover 150hz. There are technical reasons why I did that and also movies have serious guts to the sound setup like that. I also went to Gecko cinema and heard 8x18s running with high crossovers and didnt feel one sub was enough after that.

But bear in mind I run the system with serious bass far more than most people will want not all obviously.

One sb13 ultra is very good but you need 2 for that serious bass impact. 4 would be better still.

Not to rob DavidF of business another consideration might be a Power Sound Audio S1500 but it might be over budget. It also might be too big.

Again this all depends on just how much bass you think you will want.
thanks just wanted to see what impact 2 of them ultras do I've seen a couple of U.S YouTube videos where I've seen one making the plates on the side shaking and rattling even window panes vibrating they are quite powerful subs .

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Thats not really whats important.
A sb13 ultra extends to 28hz before it starts to roll off.
Thats very good for a small sealed box sub. Its also low distortion but the output is not that mega by compare of its peers

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Shows quality of SVS Packaging you can even roll them up the stairs.... :)

Pointless him reviewing that sub - pointless. Should have sent it to me - better yet send me 2 of the SB16's and I will put them through their paces :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:

Pointless him reviewing that sub - pointless. Should have sent it to me - better yet send me 2 of the SB16's and I will put them through their paces :)
200.ibs that sub is heavy to roll up stairs and probably the longest unboxing video I've seen but funny. there is a another video he did where his house is shaking all over the place the guy just cracks me up

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:

You want 2??????? *wacko* *wacko*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
ellisdj said:

You want 2??????? *wacko* *wacko*
I no he already has 2 SVS ultras that's why I asked him why do you have 2 the guy in the video is nuts when you see how much power coming from the 2 subs he had and even the guy in the video was scared how much power the bottom sub had .

i am sure I read somewhere the nazis in the Second World War used high frequency bass as a weapon

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Ideally I would have 4 as it would fix my freq issues but I am not allowed anymore subs.

I have only ever had 1 neighbour complaint and that was about half way through san andreas after about the 20th building had fallen down. That was intense in the bass dpmnt and as soon as the door bell rang I knew who it was.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Ideally I would have 4 as it would fix my freq issues but I am not allowed anymore subs.

I have only ever had 1 neighbour complaint and that was about half way through san andreas after about the 20th building had fallen down. That was intense in the bass dpmnt and as soon as the door bell rang I knew who it was.
what the noise police ? So good films for bass ... independent day ... Armageddon .. peal harbour..... terminator 2 ... apollo 13 ... saving private ryen ... most of the Star Wars films .

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If you want actual good bass quality.
Tron, Fury, transformers 4, war worlds cruise one
has some excellent bass samples used in it.

If you want carnage san andreas brings that. I dont remember the bass quality being that great but I have only watched it once.
You will need to consider bass management.

From memory yamaha dont really do bass management in ypao

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
If you want actual good bass quality. Tron, Fury, transformers 4, war worlds cruise one has some excellent bass samples used in it.

If you want carnage san andreas brings that. I dont remember the bass quality being that great but I have only watched it once. You will need to consider bass management.

From memory yamaha dont really do bass management in ypao
i am not using the YPAO on the yamaha for setting up anything just manual setup if that's what you mean i like the old why of setup . but got a feeling this is not what you mean .*smile*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
it was what I meant - if that is the case you will be getting your sub warts and all and depending on your listening position bass response it could be any manner of things bad.

YPAO from memory only uses a basic parametric eq with fixed freq points - this is pretty useless.

They may have improved it but your not using it anyway so its of no consequence.

To get the best bass from any sub you will likely need some bass management - another area thats going to cost you money but make a 100% difference to the overall outcome unless you are lottery winning lucky with your mlp bass response

Richer Sounds

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Ok taken it back unopened

richer sounds salesman did not like it much that I brought it back without trying it first and thought I was making a mistake buying a SVS

i did not like his attitude towards me and kept saying I am making a mistake when I've not heard the Rel and then he had the check to make sure my signature was on my card before giving a refund but never bothered to look at my card when I paid for the Rel sub or any other time when I've brought something in the past and I've kept loyal over the years but today I opened my eyes and they are only interested in a sale said I still want the opticon 1s but came across uninterested in anymore what I had to say so after spending £1700 and £2000 on opticon 8s when I brought them I felt that would be the last time I would buy from richer sounds .

not very good in theses hard times when loyal customers are spoken to in this way I do not like ars licking salesman when your buying something and bad attitude when you want to bring back something just plain good advice would do its free .

But on a positive note it's back I will wait 3 days for refund to come back to me then I will give David a ring .

Hi there,

I was sorry to read your comments on the thread and offer my apologies.

Customer service is our top priority so it’s of course concerning to read of any occasion where we have a disatsifed customer.

So that I can investigate further and resolve the matter please would you e-mail me via the below address with some more information?

John.p.clayton@richersounds.com

Once again, I offer my apologies, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many Thanks

John Clayton

Operations Director

Richer Sounds

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts