Looking for a good subwoofer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
i have ended up buying the Rel T71 today £50 saving of the asking price
Interesting that you've gone for an 8 inch 200W subwoofer instead of a 12 inch 500W SB2000 for the same price. Aesthetics?
I had a demo today at richer sounds and it sounded pretty good if it's no good at home I can take it back but it did sound ok in store

I share BB's concern.

The cost of the Rel is 850....so I assume you got it for 800....which is the same price as the SB2000.

Also, the BK XLS 200 has a more powerful Amp (275W vs 200W); has a bigger driver (10" [Peerless] vs 8"); goes deeper (17 Hz vs 30 Hz @ -6dB) and cheaper for the Gloss Black (395 vs 800).

It's your money and your decision, but do give this some thought, as expediancy may not be the right way to go.
the issue I have was yes I was going for the SB2000 but could not get a demo on one at my local hifi shop and the salesman showed me the top line Dali sub which cost £900 with not meany settings on it and it was not a sealed sub but the Rel was so I had a demo and it sounded pretty good and the fact it has lots of different settings on the back of it and good build quality it was worth a home demo .

the salesman said if it not as powerful as you want it at home bring it back but I had to pay for it there and then before I could have a home demo with one if it rubbish at home I will get the SB2000 .

i will not be using the sub for music only films as I've kept my music side separate from films my opticon 8s go down low and did not want to add a sub to the 8s for music because the 8s have loads of bass and my A-S2100 amplifier has good bass control .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
Any 12" acoustic suspension options on the market?

Is Acoustic Suspension the same as sealed?

If it is, the more expesive option would be the SVS SB2000 (800)

or the cheaper option would be the BK XXLS 400 (450)
when say it will go lower on the SVS then the ReL is that for music or moves or both is it a notable difference ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
the issue I have was yes I was going for the SB2000 but could not get a demo on one at my local hifi shop and the salesman showed me the top line Dali sub which cost £900 with not meany settings on it and it was not a sealed sub but the Rel was so I had a demo and it sounded pretty good and the fact it has lots of different settings on the back of it and good build quality it was worth a home demo .

the salesman said if it not as powerful as you want it at home bring it back but I had to pay for it there and then before I could have a home demo with one if it rubbish at home I will get the SB2000 .

i will not be using the sub for music only films as I've kept my music side separate from films my opticon 8s go down low and did not want to add a sub to the 8s for music because the 8s have loads of bass and my A-S2100 amplifier has good bass control .

I totally understand.

Regarding the SVS, I would trust David and BB's judgement...a great Sub is a great Sub, so not like the differences you get in speaker presentations.

Regarding the BK XXLS 400 have you seen this: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/bk-xls200mkii-249083/review

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:

If it is, the more expensive option would be the SVS SB2000 (800)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

I totally understand.

Regarding the SVS, I would trust David and BB's judgement...a great Sub is a great Sub, so not like the differences you get in speaker presentations.

Regarding the BK XXLS 400 have you seen this: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/bk-xls200mkii-249083/review
I've not hanged myself yet and I totally respect both David and big boss input so far it's been a long time since I have had a home cinema setup so value the help I've had so far and will have lots more questions time I've finished setting it all up .

its a dame expensive setting up a home cinema setup I forgot how much and I am only setting up a 5.1 setup I've all ready had to cancel a order on the Dali opticon 1 for surround back speakers because the salesman said why have I gone for them when you could buy the MONITOR AUDIO
SILVER FX V2 for the same money . So no doubt knowing me the REL will go back if it's no good

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:

Not exactly. Sealed cabinet is also one with a passive radiator, or an infinite baffle. Acoustic suspension uses the cabinet air as a spring. Unbeatable for deep undistorted bass.

Anyone doing those?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Not exactly. Sealed cabinet is also one with a passive radiator, or an infinite baffle. Acoustic suspension uses the cabinet air as a spring. Unbeatable for deep undistorted bass.

Anyone doing those?

Not a clue.

As I understand it, most of the dedicated Sub manufacturers use very powerful (usually Class D) amps attached to long throw Bass Drivers, to shift air and keep size down.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
So no doubt knowing me the REL will go back if it's no good

I don't think the Rel will be no good....but it is expensive.....you can better its performance for half the price......and do alot better for the same price (all IMO).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
so do you think I should cancel the order and go straight for the SVS as I am being to think I would be wasting my time with the Rel

I am always reluctant to tell others what to do.....but I am concerned that you are not getting the best Sub for the money you are spending....which is why I jumped in along with BB, who I suspect feels the same.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
so do you think I should cancel the order and go straight for the SVS as I am being to think I would be wasting my time with the Rel

I am always reluctant to tell others what to do.....but I am concerned that you are not getting the best Sub for the money you are spending....which is why I jumped in along with BB, who I suspect feels the same.
yes I feel that as well that you and BB think I could do better for the money and the last thing I need is the advice to stop as I need the help and I do listen .

i will cancel the order tomorrow but will have to wait for the money to get put back in to my bank before I can order a SVS sub so will probably be next week time I get the SVS sub

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
SVS does acoustic suspension. I'd have one of those if shopping for terror.

If getting the very best Sub for a spend of 800 GBP, is what matters....I would be looking at the SVS SB2000

This is really nice. SVS SB13-Ultra

Probably the best Sub in its catagory....but like all Subs from the US, has got very expensive.

An impressive flat FR curve. This would be great for music.

FR-SB13U_1.jpg

REL T-7 (green line) not as good.

Pioneer-sub-vs-REL-thumb-600xauto-13592.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
yes I feel that as well that you and BB think I could do better for the money and the last thing I need is the advice to stop as I need the help and I do listen .

i will cancel the order tomorrow but will have to wait for the money to get put back in to my bank before I can order a SVS sub so will probably be next week time I get the SVS sub

They are a brand that David sells, so I'm sure if you dropped him a line, he would allow you to try it at home and send it back if you are not thrilled (but you will be).

https://www.avforums.com/review/svs-sb-2000-subwoofer-review.10395

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

They are a brand that David sells, so I'm sure if you dropped him a line, he would allow you to try it at home and send it back if you are not thrilled (but you will be).
thanks ConEvil I will drop David a line ones money been but back

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
when say it will go lower on the SVS then the ReL is that for music or moves or both is it a notable difference ?

The SVS has a 500W amp capable of delivering 1100W peaks into a 12" Woofer.....and goes down to 19 Hz @ +/-3dB (it would be even lower at -6dB)

This would blow Rel's 200W amp into an 8" Woofer and 30 Hz @ -6dB, out of the water.

The XXLS 400 is also significantly more powerful than the Rel:

20 Hz at -3dB

400W Amp

12 Peerless Driver.

I think the SVS is the best performing of these Subs, but I would expect the BK to be not that far behind (VFM option). I think both are better options than the Rel.

Blacksabbath25 said:
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:

Is Acoustic Suspension the same as sealed?

If it is, the more expesive option would be the SVS SB2000 (800)

Low bass is great for movies, more than music. It's the low bass that gives you a "thump" in your heart, if you know what I mean, and can shake the room if pushed.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:

If it is, the more expesive option would be the SVS SB2000 (800)

Low bass is great for movies, more than music. It's the low bass that gives you a "thump" in your heart, if you know what I mean, and can shake the room if pushed.
yes I've seen that on the bigger SVS subs on YouTube were it shakes the plates and rattles the windows amazing really

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I phoned richer sounds up to cancel order on the Rel T71 but they can not stop the order as it's been dispatched so they said try it and if you do not like it bring it back .

They said they have had no complaints about the Rel T71 and when I talked about the SVS sub they said it was not all about power just because the SVS sub is 500wtts it depends on how define the SVS is and not just about noise and then I said it will go down lower then the Rel they said you probably would not hear that difference we can sell you the Dali k14 £950 which is 500watts and the same inputs as the SVS .

i left it now as I have no choice to try the Rel and if I do not like it they said they will do a special order on a SVS SB2000 from one of there suppliers .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RS will play up the talents of the Rel and play down that of the SVS....and will of course get you to set the whole thing up and try it. There is always the chance that you will keep the Rel out of avoiding further hassel.

If you have decided you want the SVS, just send the Rel back unopened...this is taken from the their returns policy:

Your statutory rights[/b]
Under the Consumer Contracts Regulations, you may return goods and obtain a full refund of the cost of the good/s you have ordered, provided you notify Richer Sounds of your intention to do so within 14 days of the date of receipt by you (in the case of a multiple order, within 14 days of receiving the last item). You will then have a further 14 days to return the goods from this notification date. We will aim to send you a full refund within 14 days of receiving the goods from you. Richer Sounds will pay the cost of any basic return delivery or postage costs for goods you want to return. Please note if you have selected one of our premium delivery options, these additional costs will not be refunded. For further information on your right to return goods, please click on this link[/b] to the Which? Consumer Rights website.

They are not SVS dealers, so thank them for their help and give David a ring.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts