Looking for a DAC for Adam A7x

Halfwit

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Good day everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my current DAC (Cambridge Audio DacMagic, the original one, without the preamp). Like the subject says, my speakers are Adam A7x and I'm using them in for nearfield listening (not mixing) on my PC.

Here are the things I'd like to get from a new DAC:

- better sound quality compared to CA DacMagic

- built-in preamp (volume knob)

- XLR outputs

- front output for headphones (Oppo PM-3, they don't require much driving power)

From everything I've been reading, this is Pioneer U-05 and Audiolab M-DAC teritory. But which one of them would be considered better? Are there any other DACs worth considering, in that aproximate price range?

Thanks in advance for any input!

K

keeper of the quays

Halfwit said:
Good day everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my current DAC (Cambridge Audio DacMagic, the original one, without the preamp). Like the subject says, my speakers are Adam A7x and I'm using them in for nearfield listening (not mixing) on my PC.

Here are the things I'd like to get from a new DAC:

- better sound quality compared to CA DacMagic

- built-in preamp (volume knob)

- XLR outputs

- front output for headphones (Oppo PM-3, they don't require much driving power)

From everything I've been reading, this is Pioneer U-05 and Audiolab M-DAC teritory. But which one of them would be considered better? Are there any other DACs worth considering, in that aproximate price range?

Thanks in advance for any input!
I own a dac magic it's pretty good for the money..i have compared it with my other dacs in my pre amp and cd player..dacs being musical fidelity dac and crystal dac in cd player..i also did a comparison with dac in iPod touch 4 (in as much as streaming from YouTube and comparing it with cd version) they are similar in my opinion..i thought the iPod dac was amazing! Lol..my mate has a Cyrus dac which is fab! But it's £1500 ish? Well worth auditioning and comparing with dac magic..( try solid silver interconnects from dac magic to amp?) bout £50 for short pair on eBay..just might do the trick re better sound..

abacus

As you are using pro quality speakers, consider using a pro quality DAC, (Pop along to your local pro music dealer) as they will be a fraction of the price of the Hi Fi DACs (You pay over the odds for a HI Fi DAC that looks nice and in most cases has a house (Coloured) sound) and will come as standard with Balanced connections and high quality headphone amps.

Hope this helps

Bill

Halfwit

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
abacus said:
As you are using pro quality speakers, consider using a pro quality DAC, (Pop along to your local pro music dealer) as they will be a fraction of the price of the Hi Fi DACs (You pay over the odds for a HI Fi DAC that looks nice and in most cases has a house (Coloured) sound) and will come as standard with Balanced connections and high quality headphone amps.

Which ones did you have in mind? Could you give an example?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts