Looking for a budget receiver...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've just moved into my new flat and first things first, I've decided to take care of the home cinema.

I've got Tivo, and a PS3 which I want to run to both to my 42" TV and projector. I've decided the best setup is to have both going into a reciever, then split the output from the reciever to both the TV and proj.

I've got a 5.1 speaker set that will do for now (will eventually upgrade to the Pioneer sp-pk2bs's) but for the time being I'm looking for a budget-friendly reciever. I'm looking for something with at least 2 HDMI inputs and one out and 5.1 compatability. Up-scaling support and iPod connectiveity would be a bonus but I'm not fussed about any other features.

My budget is around £200 top-end.

Just wondered if you guys might have any suggestion for me as I have no idea where to start!

Thanks,

Jon

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi & welcome to the forum j.wallace

Well you can get something reasonably decent for £200 AV amp wise a Whathifi 5* product the SONY STRDH820 for that Clicky, another option The Denon 2311 Clicky & a Yamaha 667 Clicky of course some of these depend where you live but there are bargains out there to be had. 2 of these links are clearance so they may not work at a later date.

All of the above amps upscale, all are at least 5.1 & at least 2 of them (as far as i'm aware) do 3D if you need it.

I would suggest you have a little look around on the internet, find a few local or local ish shops & try to get an audition, so as you can decide on what you like & dislike on the sound front, nothing can beat that as peoples tastes are so varied.

Regards .. Paul

A

Anonymous

Some great suggestions there, thanks very much. I've just gone into my local hi-fi dealers who said the amps that were suggested are great for home cinema but might lack a bit when listening to music in stereo...

He suggested the Yamaha RXV37 which they are selling for £350 at the momment. Is the extra money really worth it?

A

Anonymous

Honestly I cant rate the Yamaha rxv-371 highly enough. I've got 2 but they are the slightly older version which are still available - Just. I managed to pick up on of the last ones available at Richer Sounds the other day for £145, but they are only showing a few left as of yesterday. I guess it depends on where you live!

For £250 - I would still go for it. Best on the market for that price by far.

Mil5419

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
All av amps lack a bit on the sound compared to a decent dedicated stereo amp of the same price point. The best out of the 3 mentioned would be the Yamaha (more musical IMO), or the Denon for music (i would say), depending on the partnering kit of course. As i said your best bet is to have an audition, take along a couple of our favourite CD's & Blu-ray discs to make your mind up, this would be my recommendation in whatever amp / av amp you are choosing.

A

Anonymous

I've got an old pair of Sonys for the time being but will eventually upgrade to either the Pioneer SP-PK21BS's or the Tannoy HTS101s. The latter is easier to get hold of but a bit more pricey at £330.

The system will be mainly used for movies so quality surround sound is the priority over stereo quality. What's the best way to do this on a budget?

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
j.wallace said:
Tannoy HTS101s. The latter is easier to get hold of but a bit more pricey at £330.

The system will be mainly used for movies so quality surround sound is the priority over stereo quality. What's the best way to do this on a budget?

That being the case Tannoy speakers do tend to go well with Pioneer amps IMO so have a look at the Pioneer VSX521 or include it in your auditions list with the speakers you mention.

A

Anonymous

Do you guys think the Sony STR-DH810 with the Pioneer SP-PK21BSs would be a good match or should I pay the extra and go for the Tannoys?

A

Anonymous

Just got another recommendation for the Sony STRDH520. 3D Compatability, 7.1, 4xHDMI inputs and much more friendly on the wallet.

So final setup choice would be this amp with the Tannoys?

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
j.wallace said:
I'm looking for a budget-friendly reciever. I'm looking for something with at least 2 HDMI inputs and one out and 5.1 compatability. Up-scaling support and iPod connectiveity would be a bonus but I'm not fussed about any other features.

My budget is around £200 top-end.

Jon

The Sony STRDH-520 does not seem to have upscaling support (that is if you need it), compared to the other av amps on the list. Having said that though if you play dvd's through your playstation or other BD players they would upscale them, BD's would not need upscaling.

j.wallace said:
So final setup choice would be this amp with the Tannoys?

As to the speaker question, the Tannoys should would work well with it, although i would still recommend an audition to be sure your happy with the sound produced. Just to add you may find a good deal on the 2nd hand market.

Regards...

A

Anonymous

Just gonna add it
smiley-cool.gif

DO NOT get the Sony STRD820 from richer sounds.

Its pretty pathetic!

I bought it just to use for a while, but it was so bad that i could even keep it for a little while, i returned it back to richer sounds in 1 day! (yes it was that bad
smiley-cry.gif
)

Speaker Sound Quality was extremely bad, Treble was bad (CD, Stereo)

The Audio in Phono (RCA) posts was not even gold plated

No banana Plug post

Just bear in mind i was listen to music on this at the time. im sure that if u was mainly goin to use it for cinema it wouldnt be that bad

But from my point of view and experiance i just saying that auido for music was Bad!

cheerrrs!

A

Anonymous

Yeah with that i would say Tannoys

because Speakers is all that Tannoy make , so they know what there doing.

I have tannoy Revolutions R2, they Are FANTASTIC with music....

If tannoy is good with music they WILL be good with cinema, Music is harder than cinema to do.

But bearing in mind you will need a good amp. i have ARcam at the moment, and damn its good, i can hear every single instument that is playing in the song!

:dance: :bounce: :cheers:

A

Anonymous

iHarpzZ said:
Just gonna add it
smiley-cool.gif

DO NOT get the Sony STRD820 from richer sounds.

Its pretty pathetic!

I bought it just to use for a while, but it was so bad that i could even keep it for a little while, i returned it back to richer sounds in 1 day! (yes it was that bad
smiley-cry.gif
)

Speaker Sound Quality was extremely bad, Treble was bad (CD, Stereo)

The Audio in Phono (RCA) posts was not even gold plated

No banana Plug post

Just bear in mind i was listen to music on this at the time. im sure that if u was mainly goin to use it for cinema it wouldnt be that bad

But from my point of view and experiance i just saying that auido for music was Bad!

cheerrrs!

Now you've put me off! Is there an amp that is generally agreed to be a decent budget option for home cinema? I will be listening to music on it but the main priority is decent home cinema

A

Anonymous

Loll my bad.

To be honest, im no expert... i would just go for something slightly more pricey, and get it done with, your going to buy it once

having said that. Theres Marantz NR 1402 which is known for being good with sound. Not that bad with price 250

it also has preouts which means you can plug the preouts from Marantz into a Proper 2.1 Stereo amp

Just means a Stearo amp will be powering your front 2 speaker. Stereo amps are designed to be with music

im still decieding what im doing

Im most likely going to preout Marantz into My ARcam A7....

good luck let me know what happens

A

Anonymous

Couldn't agree more with it being a one-time purchase which is why I'm trying to find the best for my budget.

Took a look at the Marantz NR 1402 and there's some pretty good reviews out there for it, does anyone else rate it? And will it be good with the tannoys? Asked about an audition at my local Richer Sounds but they said they can't do it.

Got 2 weeks til pay day then I'm setting it all up, getting the boys round and doing a band of brothers marathon :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts