Lipsync / Auto LipSync / HDMI 1.3

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I'm just about to put together my first system with an HD screen and HDMI connections. I've got a Pioneer PDP 4280 coming and was going to hook it up to a Sony 2400es amp and 350 BD player (along with a Humax Freesat PVR when they become available).

I've been holding off for some years waiting for HD content to be available (with Freesat launched and the BD/HD-DVD war over now seems the right time) but keeping track on stuff over the years.

Lipsync issues seem to be a problem as i understand it due to processing going on to the picture at the screen and the sound at the Amp. I seem to remember reading that HDMI 1.3 provided for Auto-lipsync. I'm pretty sure all my kit will be 1.3 BUT

- is this the case? I notice the Yamaha amp i'm considering does mention auto-lipsync as a feature but the Sony doesn't

- does the screen need to support auto lipsync as well? (and does the Pio?)

- does auto-lipsync actually work

- does doing HDMI switching at the amp and running a single cable to the screen improve things or make it worse? (as i'm planning to do this)

- if my kit doesn't support autolipsync how easy is it to sort out manually and again does switching sound and vision at the amp make this better or worse?

- are there any other issues with switching at the amp (I can accept that i'll have the same screen settings for all my sources)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
b33k34:
I'm just about to put together my first system with an HD screen and HDMI connections. I've got a Pioneer PDP 4280 coming and was going to hook it up to a Sony 2400es amp and 350 BD player (along with a Humax Freesat PVR when they become available).

I've been holding off for some years waiting for HD content to be available (with Freesat launched and the BD/HD-DVD war over now seems the right time) but keeping track on stuff over the years.

Lipsync issues seem to be a problem as i understand it due to processing going on to the picture at the screen and the sound at the Amp. I seem to remember reading that HDMI 1.3 provided for Auto-lipsync. I'm pretty sure all my kit will be 1.3 BUT

- is this the case? I notice the Yamaha amp i'm considering does mention auto-lipsync as a feature but the Sony doesn't

- does the screen need to support auto lipsync as well? (and does the Pio?)

- does auto-lipsync actually work

- does doing HDMI switching at the amp and running a single cable to the screen improve things or make it worse? (as i'm planning to do this)

- if my kit doesn't support autolipsync how easy is it to sort out manually and again does switching sound and vision at the amp make this better or worse?

- are there any other issues with switching at the amp (I can accept that i'll have the same screen settings for all my sources)

Well, first of all, it does work. I bought a BD player recently and my receiver (the 3400es) and screen (W2000) all are 1.3 compatible. I hooked the screen to the receiver with http://whathifi.com/Review/Clearer-Audio-Copper-line-HDMI-2m/Specs/ and then the BD player to receiver with the QED SR hdmi. I did not need to change anything and the lip sync is perfect. Before this my dvd players were always the non 1.3 component and I always had to play with the audio delay. You need all of your components to be 1.3 happy and then make sure all your cables are 1.3. For the record, my old receiver the 1200es was 1.3 so the 2400es will be also.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts